Movie Theaters

nj829

While I'm glad this kind of feature is coming to Fayetteville, it's overdue, and is being overhyped. DLP is amazing for movies, but it's been in much smaller towns at much smaller theaters for a while now. THX certification, once again, while impressive, would also be overdue. This area has lagged in the generic entertainment venues (movies, bowling, etc.) over considerably smaller areas for a while now. I'm excited to see things picking up, but when I can go to a place like Mtn. Home and sit in a nicer theater, watch a nicer, bigger screen, and go bowling at my choice of bowling alleys, two of which are definitely nicer than the "Ozark" bowling alley, I have a hard time getting excited about things we're just now getting in Fayetteville.

That said, I am truly glad we're finally getting these things, I just don't understand what took so long. Little Rock has had the Rave theater for a while now, and it blows anything we have out of the water, including the new theaters in Rogers that I'd expected more from.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I'm glad this kind of feature is coming to Fayetteville, it's overdue, and is being overhyped. DLP is amazing for movies, but it's been in much smaller towns at much smaller theaters for a while now. THX certification, once again, while impressive, would also be overdue. This area has lagged in the generic entertainment venues (movies, bowling, etc.) over considerably smaller areas for a while now. I'm excited to see things picking up, but when I can go to a place like Mtn. Home and sit in a nicer theater, watch a nicer, bigger screen, and go bowling at my choice of bowling alleys, two of which are definitely nicer than the "Ozark" bowling alley, I have a hard time getting excited about things we're just now getting in Fayetteville.

That said, I am truly glad we're finally getting these things, I just don't understand what took so long. Little Rock has had the Rave theater for a while now, and it blows anything we have out of the water, including the new theaters in Rogers that I'd expected more from.

I'm pretty sure they won't have as many screens as the one in Fiesta Square (Regal or whatever it is now). But some of those screens are jokes. I almost feel like I'm over at someone's house watching a movie on a large projection tv than a movie theater.

I'm pretty sure they won't have as many screens as the one in Fiesta Square (Regal or whatever it is now). But some of those screens are jokes. I almost feel like I'm over at someone's house watching a movie on a large projection tv than a movie theater.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the new Malco isn't going to open by it's scheduled date. The parking lot is still being worked on and the building itself looks to have quite a bit of work to go. It's hard to tell about the inside but it looks like it could be anothermonth before it's finished. The Market Place Express in the parking lot is going up quickly- they should do a great business. I'm surprised there aren't more out parcels being built on.

*Rant* I looked at the movie schedules to see when "Across the Universe" was showing and guess what? It's not showing in NWA. You can go to multiple theaters to see "Superbad" (which has been out for a long time) or "Halloween", but not the the movie that I was looking forward to. In fact, every movie showing at the Malco 6 is also showing at the AMC. These theater chains need to renew their agreement to divide the movies up and we really need a theater that shows the small independent films. That is one thing that NWA is sorely lacking.

*Over*

Looks like the new Malco isn't going to open by it's scheduled date. The parking lot is still being worked on and the building itself looks to have quite a bit of work to go. It's hard to tell about the inside but it looks like it could be anothermonth before it's finished. The Market Place Express in the parking lot is going up quickly- they should do a great business. I'm surprised there aren't more out parcels being built on.

*Rant* I looked at the movie schedules to see when "Across the Universe" was showing and guess what? It's not showing in NWA. You can go to multiple theaters to see "Superbad" (which has been out for a long time) or "Halloween", but not the the movie that I was looking forward to. In fact, every movie showing at the Malco 6 is also showing at the AMC. These theater chains need to renew their agreement to divide the movies up and we really need a theater that shows the small independent films. That is one thing that NWA is sorely lacking.

*Over*

*Over*

Looks like it is going to be early October instead of late September from what I have been hearing. However, I don't know if the competing theater companies will go back to spliting movies or if they will just show at both places. Who is going to go and watch a movie without Stadium seating at the AMC when they can go just a mile or two away and see it with the seating and hopefully digital picture. So my best guess is that they will go back to spliting.

Across the Universe was only on 23 screens this last week around the county. I don't know how many they are expanding to this week but over the next week or two I hope that we get it here in Fayetteville. We do tend to get a decent amount of the more independant films considering we don't have an indepentant theater.

• 2 weeks later...
It's sure an impressive building from the outside- can't wait to go inside and see a flick. I wonder how long it will be before the Fiesta Square 16 closes and the new one is the only theater in town. They may be expanding within a year if that happens.

*Over*

I went and watched "The Kingdom" at the new Malco this weekend. I'm so glad that Fayetteville finally has good theater. It wasn't digital but it still looked great and the sound system was amazing. It was weird walking out of the theater because I was expecting to be at the Promenade. Then I realized I was still in Fayetteville and just had a 3 minute drive home. Woohoo!!!

As far as I'm concerned the Fiesta Square theater can close down. I'd prefer it just to become a $1 theater and then Malco could build a second cinema in south Fayetteville. Rogers has two, why can't Fayetteville?

I went and watched "The Kingdom" at the new Malco this weekend. I'm so glad that Fayetteville finally has good theater. It wasn't digital but it still looked great and the sound system was amazing. It was weird walking out of the theater because I was expecting to be at the Promenade. Then I realized I was still in Fayetteville and just had a 3 minute drive home. Woohoo!!!

As far as I'm concerned the Fiesta Square theater can close down. I'd prefer it just to become a $1 theater and then Malco could build a second cinema in south Fayetteville. Rogers has two, why can't Fayetteville?

Archived