Movie Theaters

nj829

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Malco theater in Fayetteville will be larger than the original submittal. It will still house 12 screens but it will hold over 2,020 seats instead of 1884. Also the amount of sq ft will be much larger with 52,000 sq ft compared to the previous 37,450. I am not sure where all of this extra space is going. I would have to say in the lobby area. It will probably provide more space for people waiting in lines.

Here is the article from the Times: Bigger Malco for Fayetteville

The new Malco theater in Fayetteville will be larger than the original submittal. It will still house 12 screens but it will hold over 2,020 seats instead of 1884. Also the amount of sq ft will be much larger with 52,000 sq ft compared to the previous 37,450. I am not sure where all of this extra space is going. I would have to say in the lobby area. It will probably provide more space for people waiting in lines.

Here is the article from the Times: Bigger Malco for Fayetteville

Interesting to hear, thanks for the update. That's weird that they inadvertently banned neon signs in their lighting ordinance. I certainly won't argue against more space. I think Regal(now AMC) tried putting too many screens in that size of space in their theater. I took some pics over in that area today. I'll try posting them a little later today.

I agree, if there is one thing I can't stand its small theaters. If I don't go and see a movie in the first few weeks, I usually just wait for the DVD. The largest theaters at the new Malco will hold around 300. That is decent size but I really was hoping for larger.

• 4 months later...

that SF number from the NWA Times sounds a little high. I talked to the contractor last week and he told me at 45,976 SF it will be the largest in NWA. The company did the Towne Center in Rogers but not the Promenade.

He said the target open date is Aug. 1.

I, for one, will be glad to no longer make the drive to Rogers for movies. Even a 90-minute movie like "Thank you for smoking" was too long in those seats at Fiesta Square.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be amazed if the new Malco is open by July, but that is what an article in the Times is saying this morning. The state of the art 12 screen theater could be open in less than 3 months so that it catches some of the summer blockbuster season. The theater will also be expandable in the future to 16 screens if and when it is needed. The Razorback 6 as we all know will be closing when the new one opens. Bob Gaddy was the purchase the theater last year and is expected to make some major adjustments to the property later this year. I will kind of be a sad day when the over 30 year old theater closes this year. I was a manager there back in the mid-90s when I was in high school and I really enjoyed it.

Here is the article from the Times: Malco Theater

Looks like I missed this topic. I also thought it was interesting that the theater will be set up so that it could expand to 16 screens. Although they aren't sure that will be needed anytime in the near future.

Archived