Movie Theaters

nj829

I hope to check out a digital movie there later this week. I really wonder what the AMC is going to do. Currently they are both playing the same movies but who would want to go to an older outdated theater when there is a state of the art one playing the same movie in digital just a mile or so away.

Another nice Malco would be great out in SW Fayetteville near 540 and 6th street or Wedington but with 30 screens currently running just in Fayetteville plus a drive in, I don't see any more theaters in the future. Maybe AMC will be forced to build a new theater in another area of town, they also have some very nice theaters.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey strmchsr- you mentioned in another topic that you had a friend looking at establishing an independent movie theater in town and I thought of an ideal place. The old theater on Dickson Street between Dickson Street Book Exchange and Underwood's Jewelry- great location and the building could use a renovation. There's not a lot of close parking but with the campus next door and all the pedestrian traffic on Dickson and new condos close by it seems like there would be enough people to make it work. Just an idea- it would be a great addition to the entertainment district.

Yep, we have kind of looked into that. Sydneys is there at the entrance and I don't know if my friend has talked to them about it yet. They would either have to move out or some sort of an arrangement would have to be made. We have also discussed the parking problems but we agreed that there will eventually be the new garages in the area and most people would like to do a movie and dinner in the same area. We have also considered serving wine/beer in the concession area if we could get permits. This is a long way off, he is really wanting to do this but he has a lot of work to do if he ever gets it going.

I hope to check out a digital movie there later this week. I really wonder what the AMC is going to do. Currently they are both playing the same movies but who would want to go to an older outdated theater when there is a state of the art one playing the same movie in digital just a mile or so away.

Another nice Malco would be great out in SW Fayetteville near 540 and 6th street or Wedington but with 30 screens currently running just in Fayetteville plus a drive in, I don't see any more theaters in the future. Maybe AMC will be forced to build a new theater in another area of town, they also have some very nice theaters.

Yep, we have kind of looked into that. Sydneys is there at the entrance and I don't know if my friend has talked to them about it yet. They would either have to move out or some sort of an arrangement would have to be made. We have also discussed the parking problems but we agreed that there will eventually be the new garages in the area and most people would like to do a movie and dinner in the same area. We have also considered serving wine/beer in the concession area if we could get permits. This is a long way off, he is really wanting to do this but he has a lot of work to do if he ever gets it going.

I guess I'm contrarian but I don't see Fiesta Square theater having much problem, so long as they are still able to get

some exclusive movies that the Malco doesn't get. And they'll need to survive the new theater being a hot destination for a year or whatever,

but newness fades.

Fiesta Square gives university student discounts and always has the best movie selection including the region's only (somewhat) independent films. The new theater won't hurt Fiesta Square any more than the Pinnacle Hills doesn't hurt Rogers Towne Center. I have yet to go to the Pinnacle Hills Malco because they never have the better movies that the Towne Center has.

Yeah I've also been wondering about what AMC will do. I thought maybe Regal had been bought out because I'm pretty sure that theater had been Regal. But on my drive back from vacation I'm pretty sure I saw a Regal theater somewhere that had no mention of AMC. Perhaps Regal saw the writing on the wall and simply sold that theater off. Either way, it was remodeled a while back ago. But you'd have to think they'll have to do some more if they're to stay even a little competitive with the new Malco.

That would be great if that ever comes about. Although I would suggest focusing mainly on the films themselves. A couple of years ago they set up a really nice fancy theater like this in Albuquerque. They made a big deal about the expensive wine and cheese and such you could get there. But it eventually flopped. I wondered if they put too much emphasis on the wine and cheese rather than on the films themselves. Maybe they spent too much money setting up the fancy theater itself. But it worries me a bit when a much larger city like Albuquerque couldn't support something like this.

Oh no, I did not want to give the impression of fancy while talking about serving wine. This would be a cheap as possible for tickets was well as beverages. Maybe not as cheap as getting a beer at other bars on Dickson but cheaper than most theater concession stands. This is still a long way off and has a much better chance of not ever happening anyway unless we can find a way to win the lottery.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to check out the new Malco theater this past weekend and I was completely impressed. I had been intending on seeing American Gangster but an article in the Times made me see something else. From what I understand, the new theater has one of only 75-80 screens in the World that has this new Dolby 3D system. So I just had to try it out and saw Beowulf. I did not really have any desire to see this movie but I rather enjoyed it especially with the 3D. If anyone has a chance to check this out, let me know what you think. It is well worth the price of a ticket. I am so glad that Fayetteville finally is ahead of the rest of the country, at least with its new theater. :yahoo:

Here is the article from the Times: 3D Cinema

I finally got a chance to check out the new Malco theater this past weekend and I was completely impressed. I had been intending on seeing American Gangster but an article in the Times made me see something else. From what I understand, the new theater has one of only 75-80 screens in the World that has this new Dolby 3D system. So I just had to try it out and saw Beowulf. I did not really have any desire to see this movie but I rather enjoyed it especially with the 3D. If anyone has a chance to check this out, let me know what you think. It is well worth the price of a ticket. I am so glad that Fayetteville finally is ahead of the rest of the country, at least with its new theater. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen more hype about the Dolby Digital 3D. Looks like the Razorback is the only one in the state with it and one of only 20-25 in the nation. Looks like there's some more 3D movies coming up next year. I wonder if this could end up becoming more of a big trend or just be something to supplement your regular movies. Now if we could just get an IMAX in the area.

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen more hype about the Dolby Digital 3D. Looks like the Razorback is the only one in the state with it and one of only 20-25 in the nation. Looks like there's some more 3D movies coming up next year. I wonder if this could end up becoming more of a big trend or just be something to supplement your regular movies. Now if we could just get an IMAX in the area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Malco Razorback 12 in Fayetteville has been open just over a year and is continuing to boom. I have been there dozens of times myself and love the digital picture and sound as well as the Dolby 3D screen. It looks like Malco is already planning on adding to the fairly new theater. They are considering adding 4 more screens to the south side of the theater. This will bring the capacity up to 16 screens and thus equaling the amount of screens at the old AMC Fiesta Square. That would bring Fayetteville up to 34 screens (if the mall twin stays open).

It would be really impressive if they would consider making one of those screens into an IMAX and/or have a theater that could serve wine or beer.

More information from the NWA Business Jourmal: Malco Razorback 16?

The Malco Razorback 12 in Fayetteville has been open just over a year and is continuing to boom. I have been there dozens of times myself and love the digital picture and sound as well as the Dolby 3D screen. It looks like Malco is already planning on adding to the fairly new theater. They are considering adding 4 more screens to the south side of the theater. This will bring the capacity up to 16 screens and thus equaling the amount of screens at the old AMC Fiesta Square. That would bring Fayetteville up to 34 screens (if the mall twin stays open).

It would be really impressive if they would consider making one of those screens into an IMAX and/or have a theater that could serve wine or beer.

More information from the NWA Business Jourmal: Malco Razorback 16?

• 2 months later...

The Razorback Malco bought a permit for $1.3 million to expand the new theater. It seems like it would be hard to expand to the south- the hallway extends south but ends at the men's bathroom. maybe they plan on taking the bathroom out and putting a new one in the new portion.

The Razorback Malco bought a permit for $1.3 million to expand the new theater. It seems like it would be hard to expand to the south- the hallway extends south but ends at the men's bathroom. maybe they plan on taking the bathroom out and putting a new one in the new portion.

Ah, an IMAX would be awesome, especially if it were in 3D. My friends and I drove to the IMAX at the Chenal Promenade in Little Rock last summer to see the Dark Knight, and it was definitely worth the drive. Every time I have been to that theater, it has been full or close to it, and I'm sure NWA could support the same thing. That theater is even smaller than Razorback (I think it's 8 screens). I'm actually going to watch Watchmen there tomorrow, and I'm both driving and paying more just to see it on the big screen. Anybody have connections to Malco to recommend this?

Ah, an IMAX would be awesome, especially if it were in 3D. My friends and I drove to the IMAX at the Chenal Promenade in Little Rock last summer to see the Dark Knight, and it was definitely worth the drive. Every time I have been to that theater, it has been full or close to it, and I'm sure NWA could support the same thing. That theater is even smaller than Razorback (I think it's 8 screens). I'm actually going to watch Watchmen there tomorrow, and I'm both driving and paying more just to see it on the big screen. Anybody have connections to Malco to recommend this?

• 1 month later...

I noticed yesterday that they are adding on to the south. It looks like it's in the early phases but from what I can tell it doesn't look like they're extending out as far as I thought they might. I wonder how long it will take them to finish it.

Archived