PROPOSED: WATERFRONT PARK

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<Sigh> These neighborhood groups never fail to amaze me... They hate height, they hate density, and now, they apparently hate parks too... What do they want!?!? ;)

- Garris

PS: Perhaps I'm becoming a cynical RI'er, but I'm a bit sad at this announcement. How long until the park is overgrown, with cracking sidewalks and graffiti everywhere? I wish before we did something like this we could get a handle on what we already have...

PS2: Speaking of graffiti, I talked with someone today who tried the "Mr. Clean Magic Sponge" on graffiti sprayed on a painted metal surface to fantastic effect. Great idea. I wonder if this works for others...

<Sigh> These neighborhood groups never fail to amaze me... They hate height, they hate density, and now, they apparently hate parks too... What do they want!?!? ;)

- Garris

PS: Perhaps I'm becoming a cynical RI'er, but I'm a bit sad at this announcement. How long until the park is overgrown, with cracking sidewalks and graffiti everywhere? I wish before we did something like this we could get a handle on what we already have...

PS2: Speaking of graffiti, I talked with someone today who tried the "Mr. Clean Magic Sponge" on graffiti sprayed on a painted metal surface to fantastic effect. Great idea. I wonder if this works for others...

i can just see the city buying stock in mr clean...

you know, you have to have extremists on both sides (neighborhood and development) so that we can come to the middle.

and, truth be told, an ounce of prevention with worth a pound of cure--meaning that if folks didn't find out about things in their neighborhood via press releases, and instead they were announced in neighborhood meetings now and then or perhaps a few phone calls to key people, maybe they wouldn't feel so much like it was something they had to protest or worry about, and this administration could certainly do more communication with the neighborhoods on stuff like this.

you know, you have to have extremists on both sides (neighborhood and development) so that we can come to the middle.

and, truth be told, an ounce of prevention with worth a pound of cure--meaning that if folks didn't find out about things in their neighborhood via press releases, and instead they were announced in neighborhood meetings now and then or perhaps a few phone calls to key people, maybe they wouldn't feel so much like it was something they had to protest or worry about, and this administration could certainly do more communication with the neighborhoods on stuff like this.

This is a CITY park, not the Jewelry District's private park. I don't think the city needs to pander to these special interest groups. They are announcing the park to all of us. The Jewelry District Association does not need to have their own private first look, everyone should see it at once.

Hey, I have an idea, how about we actually hear what the city has to propose before we cry and lash out about things.

Oh and I love the India Point nutters tisk tisking about it. :rolleyes:

you don't think some folks haven't already seen the plan for this park? i can't believe that you honestly think that the press conference on monday is going to be the big unveiling for everyone in the city except the mayor and maybe Alix Ogden...

Let

- Garris

I realize that you might be exaggerating a bit here.... but I don't think the issue is that the neighborhood groups hate parks or don't want a park in the Jewelry District. I think their reaction is more related to the plans of the Ship Street Canal, and how the creators of that concept aren't sure if this proposed park is going to compete with their efforts.

Either way, I like the idea of a city-wide design competition or charrette, since this is a public park. It just takes a little effort to avoid what people are describing in terms of unkempt parks with graffiti and bums - give people something to do in the park, like walk along the river; sit on benches or at picnic tables; maybe have a basketball hoop, or an ampitheater for outdoor performances; what about the ability to have outdoor art installations. The important thing is to bring people to the park. That way it stays clean and safe. So give people a reason to come....

you don't think some folks haven't already seen the plan for this park?

The whole city has already seen the concept for a park in this location, when the 195 project was first conceived, and again when Sasaki was here. I'm not understanding why this should be a "surprise" to anyone. This announcement on Monday is the official kick off of a plan that's been around for years.

As for the Ship Street Canal, I'll entertain discussion on it when the JDA tells us how they plan to pay for it.

i continue to not understand why folks are so opposed to showing a little respect (deserved or not) to the resident and business groups who have been holding some neighborhoods together in spite of the actions of city hall, not because of the actions of city hall. while the concept for a park at this location may have been kicking around for years (and i do know it certainly has) it doesn't mean that a few phone calls to get the jewelry district and india point park on board in advance of the announcement would have killed anyone, and might have actually yielded a more positive article and quotes from everyone.

In my opinion, (rarely humble, btw) taking the high road is still the best route. If someone had called JDA and FIPP and then the NIMBYs still wanted to complain, then at least an effort was made. If no effort is made, though...well, then all bets is off as my grandfather used to say.

and yes, you can always hope that someone else will take the high road, but the buck stops (in providence at least) in the mayor's office, therefore the on-ramp to the high road should start there.

as usual, ymmv.

i continue to not understand why folks are so opposed to showing a little respect (deserved or not) to the resident and business groups who have been holding some neighborhoods together in spite of the actions of city hall, not because of the actions of city hall. while the concept for a park at this location may have been kicking around for years (and i do know it certainly has) it doesn't mean that a few phone calls to get the jewelry district and india point park on board in advance of the announcement would have killed anyone, and might have actually yielded a more positive article and quotes from everyone.

In my opinion, (rarely humble, btw) taking the high road is still the best route. If someone had called JDA and FIPP and then the NIMBYs still wanted to complain, then at least an effort was made. If no effort is made, though...well, then all bets is off as my grandfather used to say.

and yes, you can always hope that someone else will take the high road, but the buck stops (in providence at least) in the mayor's office, therefore the on-ramp to the high road should start there.

as usual, ymmv.

i think the point being made by most others here is that it's a city park to be enjoyed by the CITY. it could be a move by the mayor's office to get people to realize that regardless of if you live in the jewelry district, the armory district, the east side, the south side, etc... we're all in this together. any change to the city affects everyone in the city equally on a broader level. this kind of park is a positive change, yet the classic RI mentality of "change is bad" comes out again.

i don't think it's a high road/low road issue, especially since the idea has been floating around for quite some time and hasn't been all too secret. i would think that if the JDA had such an issue with it that they had plenty of time to voice their opinion. not to mention that if they're gonna take "bids" for what the park should be like, this is just a preliminary announcement. i can understand letting the JDA have a vote in which plan is chosen, but outside of that, why are they complaining about a new waterfront park?

i can understand letting the JDA have a vote in which plan is chosen, but outside of that, why are they complaining about a new waterfront park?

i'm going out on a limb here and guessing that the concern is that THIS is the park where all the festivals will happen, outdoor music concerts etc--all the things that have been kicked out of, or moved out of other parks for one reason or another, and i suspect that has some residents a little anxious about the implications of that.

i'm going out on a limb here and guessing that the concern is that THIS is the park where all the festivals will happen, outdoor music concerts etc--all the things that have been kicked out of, or moved out of other parks for one reason or another, and i suspect that has some residents a little anxious about the implications of that.

Well then FIPP should be ecstatic about this park then shouldn't they?

Again, in the realm of "no shock here," hasn't that been the point of such a park from its inception? That Providence currently really has no "Central Park" of sorts that's appropriate for such festivals and concerts?

And, again, why should people be anxious about that? It is a city...

- Garris

Again, in the realm of "no shock here," hasn't that been the point of such a park from its inception? That Providence currently really has no "Central Park" of sorts that's appropriate for such festivals and concerts?

And, again, why should people be anxious about that? It is a city...

- Garris

aside from it's lack of a central location... why isn't roger williams park home to festivals and concerts?

Archived