Heer's Tower Redevelopment

• 5 months later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I totally forgot about this thread.

Ok, well the developer, Vaughn Prost has been continuing the renovation efforts while the city searches for a new developer and the rights to buy back the Heer's Tower so it can be completed by spring of next year. Why you may ask? Mr. Prost has missed financing deadlines and recently missed the final deadline. This entitles the city to look for other developers from around the state who are interested. One developer out of the 4 developers choosen for consideration, inclunding Mr. Prost, will be choosen by the end of October to finish the project. Mr. Prost has stated that he will have the remaining financing secured by October 12.

Good Luck!

That would be really cool. I grew up in Springfield in the '50s and early '60s, and one of my favorite things to do was to go to Heer's and some of the other stores on the Square, like Newberry's and Kresge's. Heer's was an awesome store and it nearly broke my heart years ago when I heard they had moved to the mall.

BTW, did they ever fully open up the square to traffic again, or do they still have those dumb fountains?

Heer's actually never moved to the mall, it closed. I don't know what you mean when you say did they ever open the square back up to traffic, but yes there is traffic in a square shape around the fountains and what not. I actually like it better that way, but we all have our opinions.

This project will be done by next year, the question is who will do it. I can't wait! If you haven't visited Springfield in while you would be pleasantly surpired of what all has gone in Downtown and Springfield in general. ALOT has changed to say the least, since that time period.

I don't know what you mean when you say did they ever open the square back up to traffic, but yes there is traffic in a square shape around the fountains and what not. I actually like it better that way, but we all have our opinions.

If I recall, up until they built the fountain and began to call the place Park Central, you could drive straight through (Boonville to South and St Louis to Walnut) without having to go around the perimeter. I might have lost a few too many gray cells over the years, but seems to me that's the way it was.

If I recall, up until they built the fountain and began to call the place Park Central, you could drive straight through (Boonville to South and St Louis to Walnut) without having to go around the perimeter. I might have lost a few too many gray cells over the years, but seems to me that's the way it was.

Yes, you are correct, it used to be that way a while ago. I'm not sure how long ago they changed it but I think maybe 20 years ago? Walnut street is actually parallel to the south of St. Louis street.

Whoops, actually meant College St instead of Walnut. :blush:

I get my downtown streets mixed up as well. How long has it been since you've visited Springfield. Heer's Tower sits on Park Central East. If you haven't checked out the College Station thread you should. It's a very exciting development across Campbell St.

BTW....Where are you currently living (if you don't mind me asking.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The city really needs to hurry up and pick one to do the restoration. I just wish that the first guy could get funding because his concepts and plans where perfect for the old building. Who ever get picked, I hope that they don't just make it a condo building because everyone should be able to enjoy the beautiful piece of history.

The city really needs to hurry up and pick one to do the restoration. I just wish that the first guy could get funding because his concepts and plans where perfect for the old building. Who ever get picked, I hope that they don't just make it a condo building because everyone should be able to enjoy the beautiful piece of history.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, somethinng fishy... I drove on Campbell by College Street where there's lot next to Heer Building... I saw some guys and machines... Drillin inside ground. Are they put the base structures for Parking Decks? I never heard anything that they will have Groundbreaking or anything like that. I hope they're remodeling quickly before College Station open! That would be like double funs! HEE HEE!

Alrighty, somethinng fishy... I drove on Campbell by College Street where there's lot next to Heer Building... I saw some guys and machines... Drillin inside ground. Are they put the base structures for Parking Decks? I never heard anything that they will have Groundbreaking or anything like that. I hope they're remodeling quickly before College Station open! That would be like double funs! HEE HEE!

• 1 month later...
The proposals, excluding confidential financial information, will be available for public review after 10 a.m. Tuesday. Copies of the proposals will be available in the Department of Planning and Development, 2nd Floor, Busch Municipal Building. The city will hear presentations from the developers beginning at 10 a.m. Friday in the 4th floor conference room of the Busch Building.

I think a hotel would be great for the Heer's building, however I didn't see any plans for condos in the Gill's plans. If they do both I wouldn't care, but I think if I had to choose one or the other I would go with condos because we need people living donwntown and not just visting.

I think a hotel would be great for the Heer's building, however I didn't see any plans for condos in the Gill's plans. If they do both I wouldn't care, but I think if I had to choose one or the other I would go with condos because we need people living donwntown and not just visting.

I change my mind, I really like the McGowan Walsh plan. A Mike Shannon's Steak House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be the anchor restaurant downtown. Just look at their website...www.shannonsteak.com/ And the rooftop banquate facility wrapped in glass in an amazing idea, although I wonder how it would blend in with the building. I just wish that he would either keep it at a regular hilton or something else because the Hilton Homewood Suites really isnt THAT nice. Maybe they'll do a Westin, that would awesome!

I change my mind, I really like the McGowan Walsh plan. A Mike Shannon's Steak House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be the anchor restaurant downtown. Just look at their website...www.shannonsteak.com/ And the rooftop banquate facility wrapped in glass in an amazing idea, although I wonder how it would blend in with the building. I just wish that he would either keep it at a regular hilton or something else because the Hilton Homewood Suites really isnt THAT nice. Maybe they'll do a Westin, that would awesome!

Archived