Main Street updates

sleepy

This is the once derelict block of Main St. between Union and Gayoso Avenues. In the heart of downtown and in prime tourist habitat, it has long been something of an eyesore. Anyway, the block has been reworked now for a couple or so years. Here's an update:

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/news.../developer.html

Main Street Flats--36 apartments, 5,250 sq. ft. of retail

85-95 Main--20 condos, 7,200 sq. ft. of retail

92-96 Main--18 condos, 2,200 sq. ft. of retail

The Vue--described as "financing appears to be coming into place" and "construction is hoped to begin in the next several months" Hope so. --284 apartments, 14,000 sq. ft. of retail.

The interesting thing about the Vue is that the developers are the Nashoba Group which is restoring the old Piggly-Wiggly warehouse down in South Main into the Nettleton condos. The Nettleton was featured in the Vesta Home Show and I presume is completed. So at least this group has a track record. Hopefully, the banks are looking on the Nettleton's success to proceed with the Vue.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful wonderful news!

Glad to see New Main 95% developed. It would be nice to see a 5-10 story bldg. at the corner of Main and Union (next to the Nelson Condos).

I don't believe the Nettleton is completed yet. By the way, in that picture from the downtown developer newsletter, there seems to be some sort of addition to the roof of the Nettleton. What could that be?

I don't believe the Nettleton is completed yet. By the way, in that picture from the downtown developer newsletter, there seems to be some sort of addition to the roof of the Nettleton. What could that be?

I've noticed that before in renderings. Hope in person that it doesn't "ruin" the old warehouse look to that building.

You live in Memphis? Why don't you run down and take a picture for us? :P

I've noticed that before in renderings. Hope in person that it doesn't "ruin" the old warehouse look to that building.

You live in Memphis? Why don't you run down and take a picture for us? :P

Yeah, I hope it doesn't ruin the look either, especially since it's a different color!

I *do* have a digital camera, and frequent downtown, so, maybe I can get some pictures made. I've been wanting to for a while. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Along with the 28-story Vue on Main, there's the 27-story One Beale tower, and the two Horizon Towers at 16 stories each.

To put some perspective on the new high rises, the One Beale tower will be just to south (left) of the most southwest (left-front) building on the picture. The two Horizon towers will be well south (left) of the picture.

@bluff2085 - Thats a fantastic photoshop.

I really wish the Vue was closer to looking like that then still being a hole in the ground. Hopefully sooner rather than later that will change though.

I'm ready to see some cranes go up to start building some of these projects, how about everybody else?

@bluff2085 - Thats a fantastic photoshop.

I really wish the Vue was closer to looking like that then still being a hole in the ground. Hopefully sooner rather than later that will change though.

I'm ready to see some cranes go up to start building some of these projects, how about everybody else?

Yes, I'm ready! Every time a major residential stalls (read, three years for The Vue) I wonder whether developers have changed their minds on the state of the residential market. If The Vue, One Beale, and Horizon are all being built at the same time, that'd be 3 cranes in addition to the ST. Jude and Westin cranes already up. I'll also express my envy here of Nashville's 1,000+ ft Signature Tower. That's three time taller than One Beale is proposed to be.

Yes, I'm ready! Every time a major residential stalls (read, three years for The Vue) I wonder whether developers have changed their minds on the state of the residential market. If The Vue, One Beale, and Horizon are all being built at the same time, that'd be 3 cranes in addition to the ST. Jude and Westin cranes already up. I'll also express my envy here of Nashville's 1,000+ ft Signature Tower. That's three time taller than One Beale is proposed to be.

When did Signature become over 1000 feet?

IMO, I don't want to see any 50+ story tower downtown. It'll just stick out and might destroy the historic feel of downtown. If a tower that big ever does need to be built, I say do it out east. I was thinking that the rundown shopping center and drive in near I40 and Summer would be a great place for a huge tower and a large scale urban renewal project.

^ I share the opinion that Memphis would be better off aesthetically without a 50 story tower. I would rather see more towers in the Regions Bank or First Tennessee range then taller structures. I think for example that the Vue and One Beale are good heights for the city.

^ I share the opinion that Memphis would be better off aesthetically without a 50 story tower. I would rather see more towers in the Regions Bank or First Tennessee range then taller structures. I think for example that the Vue and One Beale are good heights for the city.

I think taller structures would work with the right blend in the area. I don't think a 50 would stand out in such a way to be unsightly. I don't think East is the right area for such structures, because it would be even more isolated and stand out even more out there without buildings in the 10 to 30-story range. I think isolated towers are more unsightly than a 50 in an area with tons of 10-30 story buildings.

JMO.

Archived