Main Street updates

sleepy

When built the tower is aimed to be the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago.

How do you go from 55 stories/700 feet to 65 stories and 1,000 feet?

There's a reason so few cities in the U.S. have towers over 1,000 feet. They don't make much financial sense unless real estate is at an extremely limited and expensive. Downtown Nashville is not Manhattan or the Chicago Loop in that regard.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a reason so few cities in the U.S. have towers over 1,000 feet. They don't make much financial sense unless real estate is at an extremely limited and expensive. Downtown Nashville is not Manhattan or the Chicago Loop in that regard.

I was going to ask the same question? 700-1,000? :huh: I didn't think downtown Nashville was crowded and demanding a 1,000 foot tower either. The developer must just have something to prove.

I wouldn't even want a 500 footer in downtown Memphis. I would prefer a cluster of 200-300 foot towers as opposed to one extremely large, out of place building.

I think the structure height and design are not just being defined by market forces, but also to some extent by a desire to make a statement for the city and the designer/developer. As to how the tower went to over 1000 feet, I think the floor plans must have had their heights raised plus there is a crown spire on top. Its going to be a tall tower and I think it will make a huge impact for the city.

Can somebody photoshop the Westin and One Beale in too? It'll be awesome to see what the future skyline may look like.

None of the renderings online for these projects are really good for photoshop, since they are from viewpoints that won't work with the current pic I have of downtown. But anyway, I still tried to get the proportions right to give us an idea. I wasn't sure about the mixed-use condo tower proposed for the site across the street from Autozone Park, so let me know if it's in the wrong spot.

Also, I think the signature tower is great for Nashville, but even though I'm kinda jealous because of the excitement that comes with a project like Signature, Memphis doesnt really need supertalls to make downtown a hot-spot because it already is a hot-spot. I agree that a few more towers at 20-30 floors (aside from 1beale and vue), as well as several more midrises, would work better to urbanize/modernize Memphis' skyline than a single massive tower like Signature.

futurememphiscopy.jpg

None of the renderings online for these projects are really good for photoshop, since they are from viewpoints that won't work with the current pic I have of downtown. But anyway, I still tried to get the proportions right to give us an idea. I wasn't sure about the mixed-use condo tower proposed for the site across the street from Autozone Park, so let me know if it's in the wrong spot.

Also, I think the signature tower is great for Nashville, but even though I'm kinda jealous because of the excitement that comes with a project like Signature, Memphis doesnt really need supertalls to make downtown a hot-spot because it already is a hot-spot. I agree that a few more towers at 20-30 floors (aside from 1beale and vue), as well as several more midrises, would work better to urbanize/modernize Memphis' skyline than a single massive tower like Signature.

I guess the best way to modernize Memphis's skyline is to demolish the Sterrick building. It's a neat building, but demolition will happen one day. I too think that a 1000 foot building would look stupid in Memphis. However, a 500 ft. would be fine with me...it would take over 100 N. Main as tallest.

As for the photoshop, I think it is interesting that you inserted the Cogic Hotel, otherwise known as Hotel Chisca. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this project has fizzled. I'll take this opportunity to express my disdain for Cogic's land management. It owns esstentially two blocks of land and structure on S. Main street and has done nothing with it. Its property looks like S. Main did ten years ago.

I would like a taller building in downtown Memphis, but no taller than 500ft. And if that ever happened it would need to be put in just the right place to make it go with the skyline. I'd say somewhere in between the 2 clumps of downtown;North Clump(100 n main,morgan keagan,99 towerplace, & Lincoln American) South clump(One Commerce, Sterick, 1st tennessee, exchange,& (hopefully) the Vue).

The city should use eminent domain laws to take over the COGIC property since it's obvious they are just going to sit on it. Isn't this now a legal process that the city could do?

What would the city do with the property?

For all I know COGIC--which has good political connections in Memphis--is just waiting for the city to do it, at some inflated price. I would anticipate an awful lot of political shenanigans.

If COGIC wanted to fight it, it could drag out for years. Plus, when it's a church, there might be some stricter controls over eminent domain. I know that there is a federal law dealing with churches and zoning under authority of the 1st amendment. Might be something similar with eminent domain.

I guess the best way to modernize Memphis's skyline is to demolish the Sterrick building. It's a neat building, but demolition will happen one day. I too think that a 1000 foot building would look stupid in Memphis. However, a 500 ft. would be fine with me...it would take over 100 N. Main as tallest.

I sure hope demolition of the Sterrick never happens. I think Memphis' rich heritage of early 20th century skyscrapers is what makes it unique.

I sure hope demolition of the Sterrick never happens. I think Memphis' rich heritage of early 20th century skyscrapers is what makes it unique.

I agree 100%. If they want to demolish high-rises in Memphis, start with those hideous monsters built from the '60s through to the early '80s, no one will mourn those.

I agree 100%. If they want to demolish high-rises in Memphis, start with those hideous monsters built from the '60s through to the early '80s, no one will mourn those.

There you go, I should have said that myself.

The big one on my list would be the 1964 UP/100 No. Main building.

I think the 1st TN/Horizon Bank headquarters is aging well. It was built in 1963. I think it's a keeper. Plus, the bank is pouring something like 25 million into its renovation. This is a top 50 US bank--too bad they didn't build a new tower. What they've got now is just a little old 23 stories. But 20 yrs. from now, I think it'll be a classic.

The old FNBC tower, now SunTrust, doesn't look too awfully bad. I guess that's a compliment given that it was built in 1972.

Morgan Keegan's not bad, it's got a nice scale.

Peabody Place Tower is hideous imho.

Two years ago, Memphis had 3 top 50 banks, now only one. It's odd they didn't do what every other bank did and build some sleek, new towers, but hey, maybe that's what made them attractive as takeovers--they penny-pinched! :P

There you go, I should have said that myself.

The big one on my list would be the 1964 UP/100 No. Main building.

I think the 1st TN/Horizon Bank headquarters is aging well. It was built in 1963. I think it's a keeper. Plus, the bank is pouring something like 25 million into its renovation. This is a top 50 US bank--too bad they didn't build a new tower. What they've got now is just a little old 23 stories. But 20 yrs. from now, I think it'll be a classic.

The old FNBC tower, now SunTrust, doesn't look too awfully bad. I guess that's a compliment given that it was built in 1972.

Morgan Keegan's not bad, it's got a nice scale.

Peabody Place Tower is hideous imho.

Two years ago, Memphis had 3 top 50 banks, now only one. It's odd they didn't do what every other bank did and build some sleek, new towers, but hey, maybe that's what made them attractive as takeovers--they penny-pinched! :P

Going in order above the 90 meter (296+ feet) towers for Central Downtown, I'd definitely axe 99 Tower Place http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=125477 a particularly ghastly construction which looks more like it came straight out of Soviet Russia...

As for First Tennessee, it's OK, but nothing to write home about (I don't think I'd shed any tears if a nicer structure were to go in its place)

One Commerce (SunTrust ?) is fairly OK, a bit better than First Tennessee.

Morgan-Keegan is fine, and the only example of the more current style of skyscrapers moving away from the Internationalist style. Alas, they had to demolish a grand-old early 20th Century hotel for it, which was plain wrong.

I disagree with you on 100 North Main/UP, for some reason, I like that one far better than First Tennessee and One Commerce/SunTrust. If Memphis keeps one Internationalist style highrise, let it be 100 North Main.

Although not downtown, I highly dislike Clark Tower and wouldn't shed many tears to see that one go down.

As for Sterick and Lincoln-American, those are irreplaceable architectural gems I consider not just important to Memphis, but the whole of Tennessee. Even as a lifelong Nashville resident, and one who doesn't get to Memphis very often, Lincoln-American got my vote as "favorite" Tennessee skyscraper, it wasn't based on height or flashiness, but because it exudes a class and dignity that most modernist structures highly lack. No other city in Tennessee is fortunate enough to have one, let alone two, early 20th century skyscrapers such as these.

What would the city do with the property?

For all I know COGIC--which has good political connections in Memphis--is just waiting for the city to do it, at some inflated price. I would anticipate an awful lot of political shenanigans.

If COGIC wanted to fight it, it could drag out for years. Plus, when it's a church, there might be some stricter controls over eminent domain. I know that there is a federal law dealing with churches and zoning under authority of the 1st amendment. Might be something similar with eminent domain.

Maybe the Center City Commission could buy it like they did with the properties in the "new main" area. Several of the property owners in that block that were not interested in redeveloping sold their properties to the CCC. Then the CCC sought out proposals from interested developers, who could acquire the real estate at reduced prices. But I guess the difference with the COGIC building is that it would be much harder financially for the CCC to acquire than the smaller structures in the new main block. This is also assuming that the people at COGIC are not interested (or have failed) in redeveloping the site.

Huge crown for ego purposes (See Atlanta)?

Memphis MUST keep the Sterick Building.

I hope that none of the towers in Memphis (even the ugly ones) get demolished. IMO the ugliest high rise in the city is the Bellevue Apartments in the Medical District. I've always considered this building an eyesore but in some ways I'd be sad to see it go. My friend has an apartment on the 17th floor, and the views of downtown (and east memphis) are awesome!

here's a photo of bellevue apts:

bellevueapartments.jpg

Memphis MUST keep the Sterick Building.

I hope that none of the towers in Memphis (even the ugly ones) get demolished. IMO the ugliest high rise in the city is the Bellevue Apartments in the Medical District. I've always considered this building an eyesore but in some ways I'd be sad to see it go. My friend has an apartment on the 17th floor, and the views of downtown (and east memphis) are awesome!

here's a photo of bellevue apts:

bellevueapartments.jpg

isn't this the building where the toddler fell to his death yesterday?

I agree. I like all of the downtown buildings, they add a certian diversity and uniqueness to the city. I even like the newer buildings like Peabody Place.

I don't want to see anything torn down....just renovated and modernized. My thoughts on some of the highrises noted above...

Sterick Building - lower floors converted to luxury hotel, with an enclosed atrium constructed between the two 13-story wings that extend east from the main tower. Upper floors would be condos.

Lincoln American - current project underway that will preserve it. Get 'er done.

100 North Main - not much you can do to improve the look of this plain-looking box during the daytime, but you could outline it in lights so that it's more impressive at night. And for CRYING OUT LOUD, please put a new sign or a antenna/mast on top!

Clark Tower - I hear several people trash this building, but at night this is one of the most impressive sights in the city. You can see it from everywhere.

First Tennessee - Here's another building that currently doesn't have a sign. What's the deal??? This building is a replica of the famous Seagram Building in New York - Memphis' introduction to modernist architecture. I agree that it will age well and become a classic.

New Tower - I wouldn't mind something as much as 600 feet, which would be about 50% taller than anything else on the skyline. But 800+ would be completely out of scale...double the height of any other building.

I'd hate to see the Sterick go too. Not every city has a building that yellow. Its pretty unique to our city and looks pretty nice during a game at AZP. I like all the ideas cdarr threw out there. Going back to my tower on Summer, it would also be visible from Shelby Farms. Any new tower should go there but the only problem would be the traffic in the area. Maybe BRT down Poplar, and Germantown Pkwy would help the problem.

Come on. I can't see how Sterick will ever be a viable business venture. Do you want it stagnating, leaking its molding onto the street forever? I love its look, but it was not built for modern uses. I like its look, but the Sterick, IMO, will never be renovated and, therefore, should come down sooner rather than later.

They are working on salvaging the King Edward Hotel in Jackson, MS, which is in way worse shape than the Sterick. So if it can be looked at as salvageable then I don't see why the Sterick could not be to some degree or another. It may not be able to be saved, but I'm not so sure it has to be written off yet.

ya sterrick will not come down. the other buildings in downtown have been renovated that are far older than it. It may cost a lot but with it overlooking redbird stadium you may get your money back over time.

plenty of 1930 era high rises are still used all over the country today.

and besides how much would it cost for demolition engineers to come up with implosion solution for a building that large in downtown memphis.

Archived