Main Street updates

sleepy

Aren't the Overton Heirs owners of the land and maybe the structure as well? I thought I heard a few years ago that that was the hurdle to anything getting done, because of internal squabbles about what to do.

I heard that the problem was that one group owned the land while another group owned the building. I'm not sure though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on. I can't see how Sterick will ever be a viable business venture. Do you want it stagnating, leaking its molding onto the street forever? I love its look, but it was not built for modern uses. I like its look, but the Sterick, IMO, will never be renovated and, therefore, should come down sooner rather than later.

No, the Sterick Building will never be viable again as an office building. Even if downtown needed another 300,000 square feet of office space, the floorplates are too narrow for major tenants, who want several thousand s.f. of contiguous space on the same floor.

I believe it does have a future as a hotel, condos, apartments, or a combination. It could be done in a phased approach...gut everything out, but renovate only the lower floors first until occupancy stabilizes at a high level and the building is established as a "prime address". I think it's best bet would be as a hotel. Done right, it could be something that rivals the Peabody in grandeur.

Sterick Building - lower floors converted to luxury hotel, with an enclosed atrium constructed between the two 13-story wings that extend east from the main tower. Upper floors would be condos.

yes and throw in some 2-story penthouses and a rooftop patio overlooking AZP!

I believe it does have a future as a hotel, condos, apartments, or a combination. It could be done in a phased approach...gut everything out, but renovate only the lower floors first until occupancy stabilizes at a high level and the building is established as a "prime address". I think it's best bet would be as a hotel. Done right, it could be something that rivals the Peabody in grandeur.

Just restore the Sterick to its original colors.....how hard is that?

I'll also reiterate what was said about 100 N. Main's "crown" - put a logo on it! Something! Why would someone just leave it looking like that?

Downtown looks great when Autozone Park's lights are on.

I'll also reiterate what was said about 100 N. Main's "crown" - put a logo on it! Something! Why would someone just leave it looking like that?

I'm sure the owners are attempting to lease it. It's a big revenue opportunity. Maybe they have something in the works, but the signs have to be made. There are so many banks trying to break into the market right now, having your sign up there would be a real coup.

I still wouldn't rule out Regions putting their logo up there. I know they've put signs on the outside of the Morgan Keegan Tower, but they are not visible from any distance. You were able to read "UP Bank" from 2-3 miles away!

Memphis MUST keep the Sterick Building.

I hope that none of the towers in Memphis (even the ugly ones) get demolished. IMO the ugliest high rise in the city is the Bellevue Apartments in the Medical District. I've always considered this building an eyesore but in some ways I'd be sad to see it go. My friend has an apartment on the 17th floor, and the views of downtown (and east memphis) are awesome!

I've seen some pics of downtown taken from that building, and they were awesome. They also cost $30.00.

Why not have your friend take some of downtown and east Memphis, so you could post them here? :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Except for the demise of the Vue, not much has been going on with Main Street lately. Noticed this Commercial Appeal article about the former WDIA building at Union and Main this morning. It's currently a bit of an eyesore, and the lofts and retail will help matters.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4902999,00.html

Okay, I should have qualified my remark stating that between Monroe and Gayoso, not much new has been happening lately, although there is still significant construction on the block from deals announced earlier. The Court Square project is the best news on North Main in years.

Except for the demise of the Vue, not much has been going on with Main Street lately. Noticed this Commercial Appeal article about the former WDIA building at Union and Main this morning. It's currently a bit of an eyesore, and the lofts and retail will help matters.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4902999,00.html

There was that greenlighting of the Court Square development (Lincoln American, etc), old project that has taken time to get financing and tenants together.

Just restore the Sterick to its original colors.....how hard is that?

Downtown looks great when Autozone Park's lights are on.

There is nooooo way the city will tear down the sterick building, 1) On the national register for historic buildings 2) Gives Autozone Park a great backdrop. 3) Many investors and developers have shown great interest in the building. 4) If Memphis is serious about completing the downtown renaissance the Sterick Building is a catalyst for future development on that Madison block. Just think about it a major development to Sterick like a elegant hotel that could spur development to Hickman building etc. Here's what I proposed for the Grand Sterick Building.

http://www.stregisresidences.com/newyork/ny_mainpage.htm :whistling:

There is nooooo way the city will tear down the sterick building, 1) On the national register for historic buildings 2) Gives Autozone Park a great backdrop. 3) Many investors and developers have shown great interest in the building. 4) If Memphis is serious about completing the downtown renaissance the Sterick Building is a catalyst for future development on that Madison block. Just think about it a major development to Sterick like a elegant hotel that could spur development to Hickman building etc. Here's what I proposed for the Grand Sterick Building.

http://www.stregisresidences.com/newyork/ny_mainpage.htm :whistling:

What the CCC and urban planet members who like myself have a passion for seeing the Sterick building reach it's great potential should do is promote the building to Hotel companies who preserve historic buildings as hotel's like Ritz Carlton. I have written letters to them as well as Starwood Hotels. Here's a quote from Ritz Carlton Company:

The company has grown a collection of the finest hotels around the world. Several of these hotels are historic landmarks, following a commitment of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company to preserving architecturally important buildings. Some examples are The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco; The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia; The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans; and The Ritz-Carlton, Huntington Hotel & Spa.

In 1995, Marriott International purchased 49 percent interest in Ritz-Carlton. Three years later, that interest was increased to 99 percent. :yahoo: After reading this I knew there is still hope for the Sterick, just wish I had the money to redevelop it.

Here's the linkhttp://www.ritzcarlton.com/corporate/about_us/history.asp

What the CCC and urban planet members who like myself have a passion for seeing the Sterick building reach it's great potential should do is promote the building to Hotel companies who preserve historic buildings as hotel's like Ritz Carlton. I have written letters to them as well as Starwood Hotels. Here's a quote from Ritz Carlton Company:

The company has grown a collection of the finest hotels around the world. Several of these hotels are historic landmarks, following a commitment of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company to preserving architecturally important buildings. Some examples are The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco; The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia; The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans; and The Ritz-Carlton, Huntington Hotel & Spa.

In 1995, Marriott International purchased 49 percent interest in Ritz-Carlton. Three years later, that interest was increased to 99 percent. :yahoo: After reading this I knew there is still hope for the Sterick, just wish I had the money to redevelop it.

Here's the linkhttp://www.ritzcarlton.com/corporate/about_us/history.asp

Here's a link from Memphis Heritage and a quote from Andy Kitsinger CCC about Sterick

Article found toward bottom of page

http://www.memphisheritage.org/MHIKeystone...e2005-12-01.pdf

FWIW, I literally just moved here (I arrived in town a few days ago) and I actually moved into one of those buildings on Main St that sleepy mentioned, between Union and Gayoso. The block itself DOES still seem like an eyesore, although there is construction everywhere. But I don't really care if my own block is ugly and derelict provided nearby blocks have interesting things going on, and that seems to be the case. Not that I can really tell for sure yet, being as the past few days have been spent frantically acquiring furniture and preparing my classes for the fall semester at the University...

I walked from my apartment today down to all the galleries in the South Main Arts District, just past the National Civil Rights Museum, and the streets were notably empty of pedestrians, even around the galleries, which I figured would be the kind of place that gets foot traffic. Just out of curiosity is that normal, or is that a function of the fact that summertime heat makes walking really unpleasant this time of year?

I don't really have a good sense of memphis yet, but I've passed by plenty of cool-looking spots and I'm reasonably optimistic....I just wish car-dependent cities could find a way to get people walking. It's probably what I miss the most from my old neighborhood in SF...walking out of my apartment onto a street bustling with people out and about.

Sorry, just a bunch of random thoughts, only tangential to the thread topic...

Cheers,

S

FWIW, I literally just moved here (I arrived in town a few days ago) and I actually moved into one of those buildings on Main St that sleepy mentioned, between Union and Gayoso. The block itself DOES still seem like an eyesore, although there is construction everywhere. But I don't really care if my own block is ugly and derelict provided nearby blocks have interesting things going on, and that seems to be the case. Not that I can really tell for sure yet, being as the past few days have been spent frantically acquiring furniture and preparing my classes for the fall semester at the University...

I walked from my apartment today down to all the galleries in the South Main Arts District, just past the National Civil Rights Museum, and the streets were notably empty of pedestrians, even around the galleries, which I figured would be the kind of place that gets foot traffic. Just out of curiosity is that normal, or is that a function of the fact that summertime heat makes walking really unpleasant this time of year?

I don't really have a good sense of memphis yet, but I've passed by plenty of cool-looking spots and I'm reasonably optimistic....I just wish car-dependent cities could find a way to get people walking. It's probably what I miss the most from my old neighborhood in SF...walking out of my apartment onto a street bustling with people out and about.

Sorry, just a bunch of random thoughts, only tangential to the thread topic...

Cheers,

S

You need to go down to the South Main/G.E. Patterson area...it's really neat. I recommend going to the Cheesecake Corner...I went there with my girlfriend, and it was fantastic! Plus, there are a ton of funky, unique places in that vicinity (It's also where American Apparel is located). Also, I think either the last friday of the month or the first friday, they have the South Main Arts Tour at night where you can sample all the galleries and have wine, cheese, etc. And you can ride the trolley for free on all the South Main stops

Welcome to Memphis fearlessvk. As you said, there isn't alota of walking in Memphis (now i got that song stuck in my head LOL). I'm not familiar with SF but have been to other major cities like London and Toronto and you just don't see that many pedestrians unless you go to Beale Street or Court Square at night, Memphis in May, Africa in April, etc. Downtown Memphis isn't the business center of Memphis anymore, mostly just an entertainment/tourist area so night is when you see alot of people. Plus, as you've noticed, the sun does keeps people indoors. People usually start lurking out around afternoon rush hour and its basically a party until the early hours of the morning.

How can we get more pedestrian life downtown? I would say

1)Light rail to the suburban areas.

2)More trees or buildings to shadow the sidewalks.

3)Continue building apartments/condos and hotels

4)More shopping destinations

5)Another large entertainment district

In response to fearlessvk, I have been visiting Memphis consistently for almost 7 years now and I have noticed that pedestrian traffic picks up in the evening. IMO, Memphis has, arguably, one of America's best nightlife. I often party in Memphis from 12:00am to 5am. At times I was surprised by the number of people on Beale Street on Saturdays because of the lack of pedestrians during the day.. And you will soon find out once you step out in 90+ degree and extremely humid weather..

I agree with Bears in things that can be done to get people out and walking. If I might add, I think building one of those malls/ shopping centers downtown since people are moving downtown. A good way to get people out and walking is less parking spaces downtown; people aren't going to want to let go of that good parking spaces, therefore, they will go out on foot :P . Another good way to get people walking is raise gas prices even more but I don't think too many people are going to like that :sick: .

Offtopic: I read that Memphis had most affordable parking in the nation..

I think the city should also put in more waterplay fountains. If people get to hot, they could just jump into the fountain jets. They'll just have to make sure they remember to ask someone to hold their cellphone for a sec lol. I've seen it in Toronto and it does cool down the area quite a bit and since the water is checked for contamination daily, people use it to fill up their waterbottles on their jogs.

I think the city should also put in more waterplay fountains. If people get to hot, they could just jump into the fountain jets. They'll just have to make sure they remember to ask someone to hold their cellphone for a sec lol. I've seen it in Toronto and it does cool down the area quite a bit and since the water is checked for contamination daily, people use it to fill up their waterbottles on their jogs.

Good Idea! I have a feeling its on the way.. It can get really hot in Memphis..

^Thanks for taking those. New Main seems to resemble a downtown you would find in a small town and is quite a contrast with the area highrises.

But it looks very street friendly, and could be the makings of a really nice urban community. I do hope this area fills up with residential and retail.

Archived