Jordan Valley Park

Described as a "grand civic gesture", Jordan Valley Park is designed to mix open space and buildings, water and meadows, playgrounds and plazas. The park contrasts public space and solitude, recreation and revitalization. Jordan Valley Park is the imagination of more than 300 citizens who created a collective vision for the heart of Springfield. Their vision took hold across the community, where voters in every precinct approved a referendum to help pay for the park.

Across 250 acres of Center City, the possibilities are boundless to adapt brownfields, reuse vacant buildings and revive the trickle of a creek for which the park is named.

Already completed in the Park is the Jordan Valley Ice Park(2 regulation size Ice Rinks), 1,000 space Jordan Valley car Park, 1 phase of the Jordan Valley Park greenspace.

carpark_night.jpgjordan2-375.jpg

icepark_pano_small.jpg

Renderings for the major portions of Jordan Valley Park:

west_meadow.jpg

east_meadow.jpg

central_green.jpg

Rendering of the Jordan Valley Park Master Plan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey this is really ambitious! I wish more smaller cities were as on top of things as it appears Springfield is.

I have a question. Can you tell me about the tall black building with the interesting top section you see in skyline shots.

Our city leaders and park activists do an extroidonary job with the city parks. They have won Nationa Gold metals for our city parks and are always striving to make the quality of life in Springfield the best.

Here is the Springfield Greene County Park Board website: http://www.parkboard.org/

The tall black building is Hammons Tower at 24 floors or 90 meters. The two upper-most floors, or top section, is a 5 star restaurant. Here are some pics of the Springfield Skyline although none include the other tall buildings in the Downtown Square area probably because our skyline is scattered around.

community1.jpgspringfield-skyline-at-night.jpg

skyline.jpg

Thanks for the information on Hammonds Tower and the link to the Park Board.

Springfield has a good little skyline. Is there much talk of more mid to high rise construction in the city's future?

I like the Skyline as well. Mr. Hammons is in the planning stages for a 30 story office building and a 22-28 story Doubletree Hotel both in the immediate Downtown area. I'm not surprized about the hotel because he owns the nations largest independent hotel chain, JQH Hotels Inc. I am hoever surprized about the 30 story tower, I know he loves Springfield as he from here but I never expected something this huge. Once these are completed our skyline will look almost like that of some big cities.

• 3 weeks later...

Described as a "grand civic gesture", Jordan Valley Park is designed to mix open space and buildings, water and meadows, playgrounds and plazas. The park contrasts public space and solitude, recreation and revitalization. Jordan Valley Park is the imagination of more than 300 citizens who created a collective vision for the heart of Springfield. Their vision took hold across the community, where voters in every precinct approved a referendum to help pay for the park.

Across 250 acres of Center City, the possibilities are boundless to adapt brownfields, reuse vacant buildings and revive the trickle of a creek for which the park is named.

Already completed in the Park is the Jordan Valley Ice Park(2 regulation size Ice Rinks), 1,000 space Jordan Valley car Park, 1 phase of the Jordan Valley Park greenspace.

Renderings for the major portions of Jordan Valley Park:

west_meadow.jpg

east_meadow.jpg

central_green.jpg

Rendering of the Jordan Valley Park Master Plan

Jordan Valley Park really tugs at my heart. I guess it's because it is such a giving gesture by the city to it's citizens. After living in a metro that keeps trying to raise taxes for no apparent reason yet doesn't give anything back to it's citizens, Jordan Valley Park is like a slice of Heaven on earth. It seems Springfield is not all about profits and more about community than I'm used to.

Jordan Valley Park really tugs at my heart. I guess it's because it is such a giving gesture by the city to it's citizens. After living in a metro that keeps trying to raise taxes for no apparent reason yet doesn't give anything back to it's citizens, Jordan Valley Park is like a slice of Heaven on earth. It seems Springfield is not all about profits and more about community than I'm used to.

I would have to say that after going to so many cities Springfield really does know how to make the community happy. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of other things that make people turn their heads the other way, but then they come back with something like this and it makes everything better. I really believe, after seeing what the first parts of the park are like, Downtown Springfield will be one of the most beautifull places in the Midwest. :D

• 3 months later...

Here is the latest, more detailed, rendering of the Jordan Valley Park Master Plan. The city has also just finished the railroad reconfiguration that would have been in the parks way but now is gone. They have said that the whole park should be done within five years! :D

Article121Image6.jpg

I forgot to mention, but that parking garage in the first pic is beautiful. Really reminds me of the new Harmon Garage at the UofA.

Does it belong to the Hammons Tower?

No, its part of the whole Jordan Valley deal..........its called the Jordan Valley Car Park.

I forgot to mention, but that parking garage in the first pic is beautiful. Really reminds me of the new Harmon Garage at the UofA.

Does it belong to the Hammons Tower?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Skyline as well. Mr. Hammons is in the planning stages for a 30 story office building and a 22-28 story Doubletree Hotel both in the immediate Downtown area. I'm not surprized about the hotel because he owns the nations largest independent hotel chain, JQH Hotels Inc. I am hoever surprized about the 30 story tower, I know he loves Springfield as he from here but I never expected something this huge. Once these are completed our skyline will look almost like that of some big cities.

This is my first post on here, but I've never heard of these new towers, any new news on them. I think Springfield's downtown could use a couple new towers to complement all the revitalization thats going on of the older buildings, but i don't want any tall ugly buildings to take away from springfields small town charm either.

I think Hammons should just go all out and build the tallest building in Missouri, that would give us some presige over STL and KC. The tallest building in the state is only 42 floors.

This is my first post on here, but I've never heard of these new towers, any new news on them. I think Springfield's downtown could use a couple new towers to complement all the revitalization thats going on of the older buildings, but i don't want any tall ugly buildings to take away from springfields small town charm either.

I think Hammons should just go all out and build the tallest building in Missouri, that would give us some presige over STL and KC. The tallest building in the state is only 42 floors.

That would be nice but I would like to see these get done before he plans on something that big. The tallest building in the state is in KC and is 198 meters at 42 floors which is twice the size of Hammons tower.

Those buildings I talked about were mentioned in the Springfield Business Journal last winter. It talked about how Hammons wanted to leave a last big gift for Springfield. It then went on to say he wanted to build a 22-28 story all-inclusive luxury hotel, and add another 2 million sf. of class A office space incorperated in a tower in downtown. I really think this will happen, I just think he is siting on the sidelines waiting for the right time.

Great Southern is also in discussions to build a 20+ story Great Southern Bank Building downtown. Their operations would be on the first 5 floors and the last 2 floors. Then of course the remaining floors would be leased out.

That photo you said was from the 80's is actually from the late 70's. If you notice that Tower on top of the SBC building on the very right hand side of the photo. That was taken down in 78'.

It should be between 87 and 91?.

I believe Hammons tower opened around 1986-87. It would have to be after that but before Juanita K. Hammons Hall was built in the early 90's because its not in the picture.

It looks like the city is moving forward on the East Meadows of the Park at National and Trafficway. The Quary is being filled about 2 years ahead of scheduale and plans are being drawn up as we speak. When they have asked the public what they wanted many were happy with a lake with a water feature as well as a boathouse, trails, and greenspace. The East Meadows, when finished, will be the Grand Entrance to Jordan Valley Park. Construction is set to start in the summer of next year!

It should be between 87 and 91?.

I believe Hammons tower opened around 1986-87. It would have to be after that but before Juanita K. Hammons Hall was built in the early 90's because its not in the picture.

Ahhh......your right. I was thinking 10 years ahead. :wacko: It was finished in 86', so 20 years ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is a lie. Mr hammons Has made no public announcement of any kind about building a 22-28 story hotel, or a 30 story skyscraper. and furthermore there is no Land available to build 2 buildings, there is enough to build 1. and furthermore, the hammons tower is not 24 stories tall. it is only 21 stories tall"22, but there is no 13th" so please stop spreading rumors of these imaginary sky scrapers that will never be built

this is a lie. Mr hammons Has made no public announcement of any kind about building a 22-28 story hotel, or a 30 story skyscraper. and furthermore there is no Land available to build 2 buildings, there is enough to build 1. and furthermore, the hammons tower is not 24 stories tall. it is only 21 stories tall"22, but there is no 13th" so please stop spreading rumors of these imaginary sky scrapers that will never be built

Slyder,

I just went back and checked your original post. You did in fact, say that Hammons was building these skyscrapers downtown. I commend the professor for calling you out for the misinformation you spread on this board.

I have enjoyed reading the city forum posts on this website for over a year now, but have been disgusted on many occasions by the crap you post. I think the moderators should consider banning you based on all of the half truths you've told. I believe that the lack of activity in the Springfield/Branson forum is directly related to readers not wanting to respond to or defend your posts.

I know you think Springfield is a great place (as do I), but making things up to convince other people to feel the same way is unneccessary and counter-productive. Just stick to the facts and the Ozarks will impress visitors on its own merit.

• 4 weeks later...

Good News...

Plans for the 1.7 acres of vacant land between the Springfield Expo Center and the Jordan Valley Car Park, on St. Louis Street.

They're are still in developments for which they should build for retails or Hotel and or Offices. Yes, they will not going to build Arena, because there is new Arena being building at MSU.

Springfield Business Journel:

http://www.sbj.net/industry_article.asp?cI...&aID2=76254

Good News...

Plans for the 1.7 acres of vacant land between the Springfield Expo Center and the Jordan Valley Car Park, on St. Louis Street.

They're are still in developments for which they should build for retails or Hotel and or Offices. Yes, they will not going to build Arena, because there is new Arena being building at MSU.

Springfield Business Journel:

http://www.sbj.net/industry_article.asp?cI...&aID2=76254

Lets just hope that the developers proposing plans come up with waaaaaaaayyyy better ideas than those mentioned in the article! If they build some little rinky-dink building they are beyond stupid. This is our Downtown Business District we are talking about not just another commercial lot. They really need to take their time until something amazing comes up, because once this land is gone its gone! (for a while anyway) Lets wait for the Hilton or 20+ tower!!!

Archived