Jordan Valley Park

Folks, there were a meeting last night for Jordan Park Valley... I believe they are looking for "Master Plans"

Here the list what they wants:

Top ideas for development of park

Some of the top ideas presented for the Quarry, East Meadows and West Meadows areas of Jordan Valley Park:

Quarry

- Park gateway

- Lake/water feature

- Restaurant/dock

- Greenway trail

- Playfields

East Meadows:

- Connection to Drury University and Ozarks Technical Community College

- Amphitheater/bandstand

- "Riverwalk" on Jordan Creek

- Planetarium

- Parking lot

West Meadows

- Lake

- Wetlands

- Open space/natural areas

- Informal playfields

- Farmers market

But, I wanna high-rise :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is exactly what needs to go on the vacant land. The commisioners would have to be idots to not choose this proposal. A beautiful Hilton or Embassy hotel looking over the breath taking meadows of Jordan Valley Park, plus all those tax dollars. For some reason I just don't think it will get built because JQH has proposed a dinky 5 story office building. When he doesn't get his way he threaten's until he does. Why do you think the 30 story condo tower proposed on the south side neer got built, because Johny didn't want it built. So then the city denied the request. Funny isn't it.

Oh yes, it is very noticeable... but I got this feeling they will build something... Hard to predict this area for high-rise, because of John don't want anyone to build taller that his tiny precious hammons tower. Wait until John getting older and... You know the One Park Cente Tower (30 story)... The Developer never sell his acres, since.... If you dont know where it is, the area filled with woods just north of James River Freeway. I think he's waiting for see if they're ready for high-rise...

This is very interesting to me that this area of Springfield have few high-rise building. I checked out few months ago, the similar cities like this size of population and city's size. They have more much high-rise buildings than us. What's the different? I think it's culture. What do you think? I think Springfield is getting ready for High-rise building anytime soon or now.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Bolivar news-paper: Springfield leaders are in a quandary about what to do with vacant land between the Expo Center and a parking garage in the heart of the city.

Several entities are interested. I have an idea that no one will take seriously or spend money on.

Why not make it a monument to Ozarks agriculture?

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=181...G=461&rfi=9

From the Bolivar news-paper: Springfield leaders are in a quandary about what to do with vacant land between the Expo Center and a parking garage in the heart of the city.

Several entities are interested. I have an idea that no one will take seriously or spend money on.

Why not make it a monument to Ozarks agriculture?

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=181...G=461&rfi=9

• 2 weeks later...

1.jpg

Here's Updated!

They already have LOT of meetings and thousands suggestions from folks in Ozarks, so here the information what they will be!

The Quarry

They will have gateway plaza, children's play area, preserving the limestone bluff, open space and greenway trail, parking.

East Meadows

They want Jordan Valley Park connection with Drury University and Ozarks Technical Community College. Upgrade Phelps Street. Bring Jordan Creek above ground and develop greenway trails. Convert the Commercial Metals property to parkland, but retain the "stage" building for performances. Develop CMC property north of Phelps into residential. Acquire property to the east of CMC for parking. Create open space wetlands north of Phelps Street.

West Meadows

They will have farmers market on Main Avenue with biggest lanes. Free Jordan Creek from its underground tunnel. Greenway trails. Connect West Meadows to the West Central neighborhood. Open space, with creation of a lake or wetlands dependent on the Corps of Engineers Jordan Creek floodplain study. Picnic area and playfields. Consider keeping a rail line for transportation in the Jordan Valley area. Site a library or museum on Main Avenue. Develop Main Avenue streetscape.

College Street, they will turn all old houses and stores into new "Historic Route 66" and downtown, considering building a library in the area way to Kansas Expressway. And many more!

I love Ozarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 MILES WIDE PARK!

They will start very soon for long-term project!

I am really glad to see that the Park is starting to pick up the pace. It seemed like they were just talking about it for a while but now we are making some ground on this thing! I wonder how long it will take to aquire the land for the rest of the park, anyone?

• 7 months later...

Hey thanks for posting this... This is something that Springfield has lacked for a while now. That being said I hope they know how to design an outdoor Amphitheater. Most of these outdoor theaters in large markets have the chairback seating up close to the stage, then a great lawn on a hilside or slope, if you will, behind the chairback seating to hold a lot more people. Say somewhere around 8,000-10,000 people. If they don't do this they are complete morons and only further proves my point as to how incompetent the City of Springfield is.

Archived