N.O. crime on the rise.

bigboyz05

I was watching the 5 o' clock news and it said that N.O. recently had their 25th homicide. It went on to say that crime was rising as more and more people are returning to the city. After Katrina crime fell by about 95%. I hope the crime doesn't get to Pre-Katrina levels.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching the 5 o' clock news and it said that N.O. recently had their 25th homicide. It went on to say that crime was rising as more and more people are returning to the city. After Katrina crime fell by about 95%. I hope the crime doesn't get to Pre-Katrina levels.

What channel were you watching? I missed that. Also... is that the 25th homicide since Katrina, or since January 1 of this year? Shreveport is somewhere between 5 and 7 so far this year, so it New Orleans has had 25 since January 1, I'd say their crime rate is already back up to pre-Katrina levels.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Like I said, I didn't see it when I watched the news at 6 o'clock.

No, it's cerainly not back up to pre-Katrina levels. Pre-Katrina we'd have anywhere from 100-150 murders at this point in the year. Let's hope they keep a lid on crime.

Good God... 100-150 by the end of the fourth month?? I knew it was bad, but I honestly never knew it was that bad. I thought it was bad that Shreveport has 40-60 on a typical year, but for any city with less than 500,000 people to have that many murders is just insane. I guess if 25 is low, then by all means let's keep it that low.

In 2004, New Orleans had 265 murders. The murders this year won't come close to those levels. Of course, the population is much, much smaller now.

Murder rate per 100,000, in 2004...

Cities:

Rank City			Rate

1  Camden, NJ	  60.8

2  New Orleans, LA 56.0

3  Gary, IN		53.7

4  Richmond, VA	47.3

5  Baltimore, MD   43.5
Metros:
Rank City						 Rate

1  New Orleans, LA			  25.5

2  Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI 20.3

3  Jackson, MS				  14.0

4  Pine Bluff, AR			   13.1

5  Richmond, VA				 12.6

In 2004, New Orleans had 265 murders. The murders this year won't come close to those level. Of course, the population is much, much smaller now.

Murder rate per 100,000, in 2004...

Cities:

Rank City			Rate

1  Camden, NJ	  60.8

2  New Orleans, LA 56.0

3  Gary, IN		53.7

4  Richmond, VA	47.3

5  Baltimore, MD   43.5
Metros:
Rank City						 Rate

1  New Orleans, LA			  25.5

2  Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI 20.3

3  Jackson, MS				  14.0

4  Pine Bluff, AR			   13.1

5  Richmond, VA				 12.6

The simple fact that the rate was higher than that of Gary, IN, says a lot... dang.

Yeah and it's really a shame. It was the one thing that severly tarnished the image of New Orleans. But, it was a product of years of inept, and sometimes corrupt politicians. Education was allowed to deteriorate, housing projects fell into disrepair... all leading to a hopeless situation for countless thousands of children throughout the past several decades. All the while, an uneducated and ill-informed citizenry kept the politicians in power. I think it's safe to say that these people have at least realized that politicians of the past were merely using them for votes.

That said, this is all going to change. There's a new resolve to fix all of our problems... and it all starts saturday. It's do or die time for New Orleans.

Yeah and it's really a shame. It was the one thing that severly tarnished the image of New Orleans. But, it was a product of years of inept, and sometimes corrupt politicians. Education was allowed to deteriorate, housing projects fell into disrepair... all leading to a hopeless situation for countless thousands of children throughout the past several decades. All the while, an uneducated and ill-informed citizenry kept the politicians in power. I think it's safe to say that these people have at least realized that politicians of the past were merely using them for votes.

That said, this is all going to change. There's a new resolve to fix all of our problems... and it all starts saturday. It's do or die time for New Orleans.

You're exactly right. I knew the crime rate was high... I was just so shocked to see how high it was.

And I agree with you... it is do or die time for The Big Easy and I think Katrina did more than destroy some areas of our country... she gave birth to a totally different city in New Orleans.

I think Katrina did more than destroy some areas of our country... she gave birth to a totally different city in New Orleans.

Great quote there. The realization is there that we have gone far too long allowing poor education, crime, poverty, and ignoring the eroding coastline. Things MUST change now. We need to give back to our area... we've ruined the coastline in pursuit of the almighty dollar. We've elected corrupt politicians, etc... on and on. The fact is that if we don't do the right thing right now, we're done as a city. We will have suceeded in extincting a 300 year old city. This city is too great to diserve what we have done to it. It's time for us to start living up to the promise of our city and all it has to offer... it's time to get this city back on track... both for our ancestors who left us such a beutiful city, and for our future generations.

What channel were you watching? I missed that. Also... is that the 25th homicide since Katrina, or since January 1 of this year? Shreveport is somewhere between 5 and 7 so far this year, so it New Orleans has had 25 since January 1, I'd say their crime rate is already back up to pre-Katrina levels.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Like I said, I didn't see it when I watched the news at 6 o'clock.

It was the 5 o' clock news on channel 6. Did you know that Shreveport had a higher murder rate than Fort Worth or San Francisco? I saw that on a news program about a year ago. And yes, it was the 25th homicide of the year.

It was the 5 o' clock news on channel 6. Did you know that Shreveport had a higher murder rate than Fort Worth or San Francisco? I saw that on a news program about a year ago. And yes, it was the 25th homicide of the year.

:stop:

These people can't know that about Shreveport. I may be in denial, but I prefer it that way. :)

Actually I'm not at all surprised to hear that.

Great quote there. The realization is there that we have gone far too long allowing poor education, crime, poverty, and ignoring the eroding coastline. Things MUST change now. We need to give back to our area... we've ruined the coastline in pursuit of the almighty dollar. We've elected corrupt politicians, etc... on and on. The fact is that if we don't do the right thing right now, we're done as a city. We will have suceeded in extincting a 300 year old city. This city is too great to diserve what we have done to it. It's time for us to start living up to the promise of our city and all it has to offer... it's time to get this city back on track... both for our ancestors who left us such a beutiful city, and for our future generations.

I'm with you there, no doubt. I love New Orleans and I visit the city every chance I get. My wife loves it as well, so it's never hard for us to decide to go down there when we have a chance.

I truly believe "someone" wiped New Orleans' slate clean to give the city a second chance. Call me crazy for believing that if you will, but I just can't help but feel that way. I mean, the city was evacuated to virtually no residents and some of the worst areas were destroyed, almost like the city was being given an opportunity most other cities will never receive... a second chance.

We had another murder tonight and, once again, it's in the same neighborhood that is loading us up with numbers pre-Katrina. And almost all murders post-Katrina are coming from this area. It's so obvious it is pitiful...as soon as we saw people return to Central City, we began to immediately see the murders return.

Hey y'all...finally signed up on this forum. Had seen the link on NCB's comments on SSC. This is great.

Anyway...concerning crime in NOLA...it is nowhere near the levels we had before. I don't think it will ever come back to those levels again. People are fed up...and I sense a "revolution" occurring among the populace not only in the city but throughout the metro area.

Unfortunately...it appears that a small drug trade has come back to Central City and the Woodlands Apartments in Algiers. Thus...we've had a quick series of retaliation killings go on. These areas of the city were not exactly paradise before Katrina so I'm not surprised to see some of the criminal element come back. Plus...of all the high crime areas pre-Katrina on the East Bank...Central City south of Oretha Castle Haley and north of St. Charles centered on Felicity and MLK Jr. was least impacted. I'm hoping a resolve among the people in that area to have a better life will cause them to report crimes more often and in the long run make the area attractive to live in again. It is high ground after all. I'm also optomistic that a much improved education system...which is already starting to take shape...will lead to lower crime rates in the future as the next generation has a chance to move up in life.

Overall...I feel very safe walking around the city with my family and friends post-Katrina. :thumbsup:

Let's say there are 75 murders this year and the city stays at 200,000 then the rate per 100,000 would be 37.5. Let's say it's 200,000 right now with 25 murders that would be a rate of 12.5 as of right now compared to lets say about 18.9 per 100,000 at the same time in 2004. So things are basically the same. In 1994 the rate was about 86 per 100,000.

I'd like to think New Orleans will be cleaned up, but I'm not naive. Americans are notorious for screwing up a golden opportunity. Maybe the police are having problems.

What I want to know is why aren't the damn cops doing anything?

Well for one thing, more and more people are returning to the city, and the NOPD isn't gaining more officers. Eventually, and we may already be at this point, the number of police officers will be far to small for the population. I know there are only about an estimated 220,000 people in the city now, but that number will most likely continue to rise in the next few months, and if the NOPD continues to gain no new, or lose officers, the crime will continue to rise, no matter who it is coming back and where they are living.

Let's say there are 75 murders this year and the city stays at 200,000 then the rate per 100,000 would be 37.5. Let's say it's 200,000 right now with 25 murders that would be a rate of 12.5 as of right now compared to lets say about 18.9 per 100,000 at the same time in 2004. So things are basically the same. In 1994 the rate was about 86 per 100,000.

You're right... the actual per-capita crime rate is not very much better right now. Wow.

Americans are notorious for screwing up a golden opportunity.

You hit the nail square on the head with this one. It's in our nature as Americans to screw everything up. We get a second chance and then go back to our same old ways. As much as I love my country in general, we are a very arrogant people.

I'm with you there, no doubt. I love New Orleans and I visit the city every chance I get. My wife loves it as well, so it's never hard for us to decide to go down there when we have a chance.

I truly believe "someone" wiped New Orleans' slate clean to give the city a second chance. Call me crazy for believing that if you will, but I just can't help but feel that way. I mean, the city was evacuated to virtually no residents and some of the worst areas were destroyed, almost like the city was being given an opportunity most other cities will never receive... a second chance.

I agree. Nothing more needs to be said from me. If I ran N.O., the first thing I'd do is BAN any & all citizens who are up to no good, i.e. have criminal intentions. Criminality has crippled New Orleans for too long and it's time for it to stop. If that means forced removal of the criminal element and we have a smaller population, so be it. You will not live in New Orleans and have a criminal record.

• 4 weeks later...

Police Officer Shot on New Orleans Westbank

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4935479

That was a horrible event yesterday. Right now, the 25 year old officer is still in critical condition, but he is talking and moving. I know he is moving his upper-body, but I'm not sure about his lower body. Paralysis still seems to be possible. I'm praying for this guy. He's out there serving our city, and putshis life on the line every day, and yesterday two stupid thugs decide to shoot a cop. I'm glad both of them have been caught, and I hope at least the guy who shot him goes to prison for life. These are the people we do not need on the streets, ever.

I am sorry to see this sort of news. I hope New Orleans will be able to put its crime under a suitable yoke soon.

Unfortunatelym New Orleans, not unlike other southern cities, has received the spotlight about crime lately. With any luck, this will change. I'd hoped a new administration would be able to send a new message, but it shall fall to Mr. Nagin to make a stand.

I prayed for the officer when I heard the news. They have had 2 major drug busts here in St. Tammany...so it looks like the cops and feds are definitely cracking down hard on the criminals. I still feel safer in the city than I ever have before. There are so many more police officers per capita now.

Right now...from what I've seen our murder rate is comparable to Birmingham, AL. I'd say NOLA has 230K in the city now...we had 30 murders between 1/1 and 4/30. Birmingham had 28 as of 4/12 with a pop of 233K. I would prefer to see 0...but at least it is getting to be in line with cities of comparable size.

My hope is that with all of the job opportunities out there with the rebuilding of the city and an improving school system...our crime rate will continue to decrease.

Archived