N.O. crime on the rise.

bigboyz05

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the early-mid 90's, New Orleans was known as the "Murder Capital of the World" and for damn good reason. The crime, especially homicide, was absolutely horrible then, and the worst was in '93 and '94. In 1994, 421 people were killed (85.8 per 100,000 people), and that homicide rate has not been matched by any major city to date. The Uptown project's, especially Magnolia, contributed very heavily to the murder rate, and that area was a very dangerous place to be in in the the 90's. If you remember I had said something about being lucky to be alive for all of the time I spent in the 13th Ward in the mid 90's, and well, that' why.

The horrible murder and crime rate in New Orleans is also greatly affected by the fact that it is nearly impossible to get testimony from witnesses that witnessed a murder/crime in the city, as they fear retaliation from individual criminals and gangs. Here's an excerpt from an article MSNBC ran about a week before Katrina hit:

I never knew you stayed in the 13th Ward, what area in the 13 did you stay on? Ghetto thugs used New Orleans' murder capital image to their advantage. Crime is a disease that has eaten away at New Orleans' for long enough, and I'm thankful to the fullest that the Nat'l Guard is here. One more thing SBCmetro, N.O. criminals don't use your normal, run-of-the-mill guns, they're carrying choppers (slang for AK-47s & M-16 machine guns)

I never knew you stayed in the 13th Ward, what area in the 13 did you stay on? Ghetto thugs used New Orleans' murder capital image to their advantage. Crime is a disease that has eaten away at New Orleans' for long enough, and I'm thankful to the fullest that the Nat'l Guard is here. One more thing SBCmetro, N.O. criminals don't use your normal, run-of-the-mill guns, they're carrying choppers (slang for AK-47s & M-16 machine guns)

I spent a lot of time around South Broad, which even though isn't that dangerous compared to certain parts of the 13th Ward, it's not exactly safe either. And Brian, like Uptown mentioned, New Orleans criminals carry "choppers"-AK-47's and M-16's more than anything else. If you ever listen to New Orleans rappers, you'll probably here some mention of "Chopper City" in reference to New Orleans, and Mannie Fresh and B.G. now have "Chopper City Records" based out of New Orleans as well. If you ever get a chance to watch the underground video "New Orleans Exposed" which covers crime activity in the city, you'll go along with a criminal and see just how easy it is to get an AK-47 illegaly in New Orleans.

Martin Luther King Blvd & Valence St. is where I grew up, the area B.G. mentions quite frequently is Valence & Magnolia, you'll see the intersection in B.G.'s video "Move Around". Brian, watch New Orleans Exposed, it'll give you first-hand knowledge of the wards, police corruption, our pathetic school system, housing projects & our notorious project wars, all from the eyes of a criminal. The Port Of New Orleans is the biggest supplier of guns & drugs in N.O.

Interesting, guys, thanks for the info. Sounds more like Los Angeles thugs, outgunning the police. :(

Well overall, it's even worse than Los Angeles. From some of the stats I've seen, in certain categories Compton doesn't even compare to the Magnola Projects and parts of Uptown in terms of weaponry and murder rate. <_<

But again, things are improving!

I don't EVER want New Orleans to go back to the dark days of '93 & '94. With the Guard here, the criminals have been silent. They aren't dumb enough to test the big dogs.

Oh no one does, those years are two very darkspots in New Orleans' history, and having the nickname "Murder Capital" isn't exactly something to be proud of.

Martin Luther King Blvd & Valence St. is where I grew up, the area B.G. mentions quite frequently is Valence & Magnolia, you'll see the intersection in B.G.'s video "Move Around".

Oh really? I'm pretty familiar with Valence Street, mostly the southern end of it around Constance Street down to Tchoupitoulas Street. Are you still living in that area?

Yep, I'm still there. That's my block but I'm gonna eventually move out of the area into less treacherous parts of the 13th Ward.

If you want an area that's a bit safer but still nearby, I would look into the Central City Condos project, that looks like it will have some great residencies for a good price. :thumbsup:

Good lookin' out, I appreciate it. Have purchases already gotten underway?

Not yet, as the project is still in the "proposed" state, but I think it will be approved pretty easily. It seems like everone on the city council is behind the project, and all funding and plans are set. The only thing holding the project back now is the long line of projects waiting to get approved due to the lack of planners on the CPC.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet, as the project is still in the "proposed" state, but I think it will be approved pretty easily. It seems like everone on the city council is behind the project, and all funding and plans are set. The only thing holding the project back now is the long line of projects waiting to get approved due to the lack of planners on the CPC.

Put a mobile police station right in the middle of the hood and get those thugs out. Put them to work cleaningup all the debris. If anyone is caught after curfew -make clean up debris. Crime ridden = Poverty stricken. Get some real jobs in New Orleans

Good idea but there's one minor problem, most thugs in New Orleans have little to no fear of the police. Why? Because some of them are crooked. Most NOPD officers are honest and decent men & women but some are worse than the criminals themselves. :angry: A lot of them will even shoot at the police. It has happened before.

The New Orleans thugs don't care about cops, but they do care about the National Guard. And even though we've had some problems as of late, we are still making progress. We'll get things to fall into place and work eventually, but until then, we just have to keep moving forward.

^ funny that ya'll mention it, but i have a buddy who went into NO with the national guard, and i heard some stories backing up what ya'll are saying. He said that they rolled up in humvees trailering howitzers, and it's like that was enough to silence the thugs. He said that the cops were hoping they'd get to shoot alot of the thugs, but they didn't make a peep once the guard showed up. They didn't even have to fire the cannons either. By the way, could ya'll imagine that? Cannons being fired at street gangs in the US? It's sad that the police are frequently outgunned by criminals, but the guard has toys that the thugs will never be able to get hold of. And i know from hearing what my buddy's been saying......the guard won't think twice about wasting a couple of gangbangers!

^ funny that ya'll mention it, but i have a buddy who went into NO with the national guard, and i heard some stories backing up what ya'll are saying. He said that they rolled up in humvees trailering howitzers, and it's like that was enough to silence the thugs. He said that the cops were hoping they'd get to shoot alot of the thugs, but they didn't make a peep once the guard showed up. They didn't even have to fire the cannons either. By the way, could ya'll imagine that? Cannons being fired at street gangs in the US? It's sad that the police are frequently outgunned by criminals, but the guard has toys that the thugs will never be able to get hold of. And i know from hearing what my buddy's been saying......the guard won't think twice about wasting a couple of gangbangers!

Along with the National guard round up all the existing prisoner and have them clean uP the debris in the area. Let the guard use therei weapons to get rid of those thugs. Like i said put their lazy ass to work cleaning up and get Homeland securiity to screen the port

redjeep, I hate to say it, but you are, in fact, incorrect. Numerous AP stories reported what they rolled in with. Here's a quote...

"The troops, dressed in full camouflage fatigues, carried M-16s, handguns and belt clips of ammunition as they arrived in a convoy of 75 vehicles. They parked their Humvees and tanker trucks in formation in front of the Convention Center, drawing waves and thumbs-up from onlookers."

No mention of howitzers. Believe me, if they would have brought in howitzers, it would have been reported. And here, a quote from another story, telling us what equipment they patrol with...

" the soldiers ride in tan Humvees, blue lights fastened with bungee cords to the hoods."

The only reason I'm taking issue with this is because New Orleans already has enough bad press. Having people around this country believe that the National Guard will be blowing up crackhouses and apartment buildings with cannons reminiscent of Beirut, Lebanon is not an image that we should be sending out. Fact is, many of the National Guard troops are patrolling in white Crown Victorias, just like the NOPD.

Perhaps most importantly, towed howitzers have a MINIMUM range of 14 miles. Why would the National Guard be lobbing artillery shells 14 miles within the city limits of New Orleans? Trust me, there are no howitzers being used, nor would they be used in a police effort within an American city.

redjeep, I hate to say it, but you are, in fact, incorrect. Numerous AP stories reported what they rolled in with. Here's a quote...

"The troops, dressed in full camouflage fatigues, carried M-16s, handguns and belt clips of ammunition as they arrived in a convoy of 75 vehicles. They parked their Humvees and tanker trucks in formation in front of the Convention Center, drawing waves and thumbs-up from onlookers."

No mention of howitzers. Believe me, if they would have brought in howitzers, it would have been reported. And here, a quote from another story, telling us what equipment they patrol with...

" the soldiers ride in tan Humvees, blue lights fastened with bungee cords to the hoods."

The only reason I'm taking issue with this is because New Orleans already has enough bad press. Having people around this country believe that the National Guard will be blowing up crackhouses and apartment buildings with cannons reminiscent of Beirut, Lebanon is not an image that we should be sending out. Fact is, many of the National Guard troops are patrolling in white Crown Victorias, just like the NOPD.

Perhaps most importantly, towed howitzers have a MINIMUM range of 14 miles. Why would the National Guard be lobbing artillery shells 14 miles within the city limits of New Orleans? Trust me, there are no howitzers being used, nor would they be used in a police effort within an American city.

man, i am just saying what he did. I am going by a first hand account....not second hand information from "numerous AP stories". They did indeed have cannons trailered. That is a fact. I just called them howitzers cause that's what i thought cannons were. regardless, they had some big F-ing guns that scared the gangs.

Sorry buddy but your boy gave you bad info. First off, firing a cannon in city limits is highly illegal. Second, you basically reiterated what many of us were saying, the New Orleans thugs are not stupid enough to go against the Nat'l Guard. That's like a Pinto getting into a head-on collision with a Ford Excursion, which car do you think will get it the worst?

Sorry buddy but your boy gave you bad info. First off, firing a cannon in city limits is highly illegal. Second, you basically reiterated what many of us were saying, the New Orleans thugs are not stupid enough to go against the Nat'l Guard. That's like a Pinto getting into a head-on collision with a Ford Excursion, which car do you think will get it the worst?

I don't have any clear info either way on this, other than the fact that I live in one of the areas (Gentilly) the Guard is patrolling, and I haven't seen anything other than the tan "desert" paint job Humvees with two guard members per. I can, however, speculate on a way everyone might be right here. As some of you might know, one of the main units housed at Jackson Barracks in NO (and displaced by the storm) was the Washington Artillery. Any chance they just used the convoy in as a chance to haul in some replacement equipment for one of the units that I understand will remain housed at the Barracks?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived