N.O. crime on the rise.

bigboyz05

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the crime rate is rising, the NOPD released statistics that show that overall violent crime is down 46% from pre-Katrina levels. This number IS a per-capita number, so it's not all bad news.

Yea, it's not all bad news at all. If we can now start getting the murders under control, we should be able to keep the crime rate somewhere around this level, hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Just when things appear to be looking up, five teenagers are killed in a shootout on the streets of New Orleans. From the photos shown, it looks like a pretty rough area. Where is that in relation to the French Quarter area, if anyone can tell me? Is this an area where most of the population has returned to?

See source...

This makes 8 for the month of June and 52 for the year. With the population around 220,000, this also brings the N.O murder rate dangerously close to pre-Katrina levels.

Just when things appear to be looking up, five teenagers are killed in a shootout on the streets of New Orleans. From the photos shown, it looks like a pretty rough area. Where is that in relation to the French Quarter area, if anyone can tell me? Is this an area where most of the population has returned to?

See source...

Well, I find it interesting that the vehicle in which the five people that were killed were driving had a Texas plate.

Well, I find it interesting that the vehicle in which the five people that were killed were driving had a Texas plate.

Yes, that is interesting. What is your thought on that, maybe these kids came over with out-of-state workers? I have no idea, but since you live there I'm sure you have access to better info through your local news outlets and word of mouth.

Yes, that is interesting. What is your thought on that, maybe these kids came over with out-of-state workers? I have no idea, but since you live there I'm sure you have access to better info through your local news outlets and word of mouth.

Drugs, turf battle, deep anger...something along those lines?!? Texas thugs came into New Orleans thugs territory and New Orleans thugs made a statement, or vice versa?!? Those killed were all under 20.

Here goes the same words I posted in the off-topic forum, but they probably belong here. Not to be cliche', but it seems like black-on-black crime in New Orleans is pretty high. (read: the 5 kids shot yesterday). Also, the same article posted by SBCmetroguy noted that many of the perpetrators ultimately became homicide victims themselves. This suggests that crime in N.O. is HIGHLY isolated and pretty much dependent upon what neighborhood you live in (i.e., uptowners are safe if careful...) What can be done about this? New Orleans had 1400+ police officers before Katrina. I know the numbers have gone down, but seriously, get on the streets and stop this bullsh!t. 5 kids in one day is out of control.

Yep, they're filtering back in. I hoped we'd be able to avoid this, but it appears to be a generational cycle with these people. It's going to take decades of better schools and a healthier economy to turn this around.

Drugs, turf battle, deep anger...something along those lines?!? Texas thugs came into New Orleans thugs territory and New Orleans thugs made a statement, or vice versa?!? Those killed were all under 20.

And they were all from N.O. Assuming the killers are from Houston, it wouldn't surprise me if some more killers went across I-10 to a Houston ghetto and did the same thing. For some reason, there's a simmering Houston/New Orleans rivalry among the cities' criminal element.

Now I hear Blanco is going to send in National Guard soldiers to assist the police. If things don't change, people in New Orleans are truly going to feel like prisoners in their own homes.

For what it's worth, I still feel safer now than I did pre-Katrina. Keep in mind, those national guard troops will mostly be patrolling the abandoned and less-populated areas. This will free up the NOPD and state police to fight crime in populated areas. The NOPD has been spread too thin. This should have been done months ago.

I also feel that this is another indication that population numbers are way ahead of schedule, and likely well ahead of current estimates.

For what it's worth, I still feel safer now than I did pre-Katrina. Keep in mind, those national guard troops will mostly be patrolling the abandoned and less-populated areas. This will free up the NOPD and state police to fight crime in populated areas. The NOPD has been spread too thin. This should have been done months ago.

I also feel that this is another indication that population numbers are way ahead of schedule, and likely well ahead of current estimates.

I just hope their presence doesn't get expanded... but I suppose you're right, the NOPD is spread too thin since their numbers have dropped significantly.

That's unbelievable. I just don't know what to say about that.

I don't either, but to be quite honest with you, a part of me wants to fall on the floor laughing. This band of "thugs" is a bunch of feminine "guys."

A bullet between one of these guys' eyes would send a pretty clear message.

That's just sick ! You would think they would have trouble running in high heeled shoes. It would be funny to watch them break an ankle. Sick !!! I have seen alot of that when I was down in NO. Enough to make my stomach turn. It's ashame the good have to suffer for the bad. SBC makes a good point !

As much as I don't want to, you really have to laugh at this. :lol:

A bullet between one of these guys' eyes would send a pretty clear message.

Oh I don't think we would be seeing much of these guys after that.

Are these really the people you want back? Talk about looking for a silver lining! Are you really that desperate to regain a modest population that you will celebrate thugs and their criminal activity as proof NO will rise again?

Just more proof...not one more dime needs to go there.

Are these really the people you want back? Talk about looking for a silver lining! Are you really that desperate to regain a modest population that you will celebrate thugs and their criminal activity as proof NO will rise again?

Who's celebrating these people, pray tell??

Right, because some of the criminals have returned to New Orleans, the smart and logical decision is to let the city just waste away.

And please tell me, where exactly did TSmith say that he is happy these people are back? He was stating that it is further proof that the city has a population higher than the 150K-180K figure the census released last month, something that is very obvious to anyone on top of what is going on in New Orleans right now.

Archived