N.O. crime on the rise.

bigboyz05

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, you'll certainly get an amen from me too. I hated to see him lose to Kathleen Blanco by such a small margin. I'm willing to bet she had no idea what position she even won after the race was over.

I mean seriously, down here you listen to Jindal talk about his plans and ideas on the news, and he has everything lined up, ready to go. He describes what we need to do, how we will do it, where we will get funding, what it will affect, and on and on. And everything always seems to make perfect sense. Then you listen to Blanco avoid a tough question, beat around the bush, and try to sound like she has any idea of what she's doing, and you just want to run your car into a tree. ;)

Jindal seems to be the only one doing anything in DC. Meloncon is doing admirably as well.

For the life of me, I cannot think of one damn thing William Jefferson has done for this area. NOTHING! And now he's exposed as a crook.

I can only imagine what shape we'd be in if it weren't for Jindal leading the troops.

On a side note, crime seems to be plummeting since the Nat'l Guard came in. Is it just my imagination? I'd like to see some stats.

Oh you better believe it. It's very obvious that crime has gone down since the Nat'l Guard came in just by driving around the city or listening to 870.

I certainly hope so.

The guys carrying around the big guns don't play.

Oh no, not at all. Though while the vast majority of the National Guard troops are around the city are armed with weapons, some of them aren't armed at all. They are there as a symbol, a symbol representing the fact that the city and the state are now very serious about crime in the city. And it's very obvious that the criminals aren't even trying to test the big guys, because the NOPD has reported a major drop in crime in the city's hot spots since the National Guard arrived.

^That's awesome.

Now I need the National Guard to take over Shreveport's Cedar Grove, Ingleside, Queensborough, MLK, Allendale, Ledbetter Heights, Lakeview, Fair Park, and Woodlawn areas. :D

Hey who knows, maybe we'll end up doing something like a major statewide crackdown on crime one day soon. I think that might actually work. :thumbsup:

Oh no, not at all. Though while the vast majority of the National Guard troops are around the city are armed with weapons, some of them aren't armed at all. They are there as a symbol, a symbol representing the fact that the city and the state are now very serious about crime in the city. And it's very obvious that the criminals aren't even trying to test the big guys, because the NOPD has reported a major drop in crime in the city's hot spots since the National Guard arrived.

Ditto. The criminals DO NOT want it with the National Guard. My block (MLK @ Valence St.) is known as the hot block because when the police come, they draw heat. Since the National Guard came, the block has been ice-cold :lol: Normally, there's a lot of criminality in New Orleans' Uptown ghetto but lately, it's been quiet. Keep it that way. I will say this, New Orleans could have used the Nat'l Guard in '94.

Ditto. The criminals DO NOT want it with the National Guard. My block (MLK @ Valence St.) is known as the hot block because when the police come, they draw heat. Since the National Guard came, the block has been ice-cold :lol: Normally, there's a lot of criminality in New Orleans' Uptown ghetto but lately, it's been quiet. Keep it that way. I will say this, New Orleans could have used the Nat'l Guard in '94.

Not being from down there I'm not sure about '94. What happened in New Orleans that year?

Not being from down there I'm not sure about '94. What happened in New Orleans that year?

In the early-mid 90's, New Orleans was known as the "Murder Capital of the World" and for damn good reason. The crime, especially homicide, was absolutely horrible then, and the worst was in '93 and '94. In 1994, 421 people were killed (85.8 per 100,000 people), and that homicide rate has not been matched by any major city to date. The Uptown project's, especially Magnolia, contributed very heavily to the murder rate, and that area was a very dangerous place to be in in the the 90's. If you remember I had said something about being lucky to be alive for all of the time I spent in the 13th Ward in the mid 90's, and well, that' why.

The horrible murder and crime rate in New Orleans is also greatly affected by the fact that it is nearly impossible to get testimony from witnesses that witnessed a murder/crime in the city, as they fear retaliation from individual criminals and gangs. Here's an excerpt from an article MSNBC ran about a week before Katrina hit:

Last year, university researchers conducted an experiment in which police fired 700 blank rounds in a New Orleans neighborhood in a single afternoon. No one called to report the gunfire.

New Orleans residents are reluctant to come forward as witnesses, fearing retaliation. And experts say that is one of several reasons homicides are on the rise in the Big Easy at a time when other cities are seeing their murder rates plummet to levels not seen in decades.

Just for a cmparison between New Orleans in 1994 to New York City now, look at this:

New Orleans- 496,000

Murders- 421

Murder rate- 85.8 per 100,000 people

New York City- 8.1 million

Murders- 537

Murder rate- 6.57 per 100,000 people

Arrests are way up & murders are way down since the National Guard Arrived!!

There have been 10 less murders this month than the month before the National Guard arrived....

From what I know, New Orleans crime is still down 50% per capita from (pre-katrina)!

Just for a cmparison between New Orleans in 1994 to New York City now, look at this:

New Orleans- 496,000

Murders- 421

Murder rate- 85.8 per 100,000 people

New York City- 8.1 million

Murders- 537

Murder rate- 6.57 per 100,000 people

That puts it into perspective more than anything else I've ever read.

Wow.

That puts it into perspective more than anything else I've ever read.

Wow.

Statistics show all sometimes, and this is one of those times. But, like TSmith and nola stated, crime and murders have both dropped considerably since the National Guard came in, and that is a very good thing in a post-Katrina New Orleans. :thumbsup:

The disease is being quaranteend.sp? Great to see ! New Orleans is a great tourist attraction, just think how many more people would visit knowing it's a much safer place.

^ Thanks for those Stats Nate. No wonder so many said New Orleans had an evil aura. I did not realize it was that much worse than NYC. Wonder what Detroit's murder rate is now ? Is it the crime capital ?

^ Thanks for those Stats Nate. No wonder so many said New Orleans had an evil aura. I did not realize it was that much worse than NYC. Wonder what Detroit's murder rate is now ? Is it the crime capital ?

2005 rankings for the most dangerous large cities in the country:

1. Camden, New Jersey

2. Detroit, Michigan

3. St. Louis, Missouri

4. Flint, Michigan

5. Richmond, Virginia

6. Baltimore, Maryland

7. Atlanta, Georgia

8. New Orleans, Louisiana

9. Gary, Indiana

10. Birmingham, Alabama

And when the list becomes "major" cities only, New Orleans moves up to number five I believe.

2005 rankings for the highest murder rates:

1. Camden, NJ - 60.8

2. New Orleans, LA - 56.0

3. Gary, IN - 53.7

4. Richmond, VA - 47.3

5. Baltimore, MD - 43.5

6. Detroit, MI - 42.1

7. Compton, CA - 40.2

8. Washington, DC - 35.8

9. Richmond, CA - 33.8

10. St. Louis, MO - 33.7

Archived