potential future sites for Norfolk

urbanlife

I was thinking, as I was looking around on local.live.com what about that abandon bank building and the lot behind it. Where you ask. I am referring to the area between Boush and Granby on Charlotte.

Now I don't know if that lot is still there seeing I am 3000 miles away, but the size of the lot plus the potential to renovate that bank building would be amazing potential. That lot and single building could become home to the Granby tower's sister, or more preferably another piece of great architecture that also commands its own respect.

I would be such a powerful man if I were a developer because I see hope in every site. crap I would be in the middle of the Fort Norfolk development seeing I have been saying they needed to do what they are doing now since I was 18 (or the last ten years).

Anyway, I thought I would start this page in respect to what we all wish and hope to see the city become. Pointing out all those lots that could be developed or all those buildings still standing that could be renovated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That St Paul Quadrant is going to change the face of downtown Norfolk. I really think if that area is reconnected to the city and the Hoffler tower becomes the tallest in the city, it will definitely make downtown Norfolk feel as if it is a big city in a big metro. Sort of living up to its image it should be.

I have always wondered when the heck is Norfolk going to put a tower or something on the surface parking lot on Monticello/Charlotte intersection near the Scope.

That is a huge lot. That lot could probably accomodate two towers. I don't see it's purpose when you have parking garage next to it.

I have always wondered when the heck is Norfolk going to put a tower or something on the surface parking lot on Monticello/Charlotte intersection near the Scope.

That is a huge lot. That lot could probably accomodate two towers. I don't see it's purpose when you have parking garage next to it.

I think that site is being considered for a new arena. Can someone confirm that that is the lot he is referring to?

yes, i do believe you are right okinawa, if you look at the pdf image of the 2010 plan, you can see an arena sitting on the lot where that garage is and the garage isnt there. im not quite sure that's what the city is planning on doing with that lot, i think with all of the progress, the city will find another more efficient use of the parcel. I am curious as to what the city plans to do with st pauls place and some of the little lots in between buildings and stuff like that. Maybe i just want norfolk to build everything right now. I want the hilton and the granby tower built!!!!! :whistling:

I think that site is being considered for a new arena. Can someone confirm that that is the lot he is referring to?

You're right Oki. An arena is drawn on that site in the Downtown 2010 vision axon. And I think that's where the Smithfield Foods arena (aka Ham House) was going to be when Norfolk made its Hornets bid.

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/Downtown.asp

go there and click on the pdf version and look where the lot is...it is an outdated plan, so i dont quite know what will happen with that

Thanks for the link, always757! I'm disappointed with the website though. It inspired me to send this message to the Webmaster...

Webmaster,

I was viewing Norfolk's government webpage, specifically the Come Home to Norfolk campaign pages. The information on downtown developments seems terribly out-of-date. For example, the description of one development begins with "When it opens in 2003..." In addition the tiny pictures of downtown show dead streets where nobody is walking around and nothing is happening. These two problems certainly don't lead one to believe that Downtown Norfolk is actually an exciting or desirable place to be. If the desire is to sell Downtown Norfolk then current information and photos that show people enjoying Downtown are needed. Have someone go out onto Granby Street during a weekday lunch hour and snap photos of busy sidewalks.

Just a suggestion,

[lammius]Urban Planning student and former Norfolk resident.

Late night everyone? :lol: I was just thinking to myself how slow of a day it had been before I went to bed last night. There were no posts in this thread either.
If the courthouse is expanded with a tower on top of the present building, this would free up the downtown bus station site for development. Are there any other building downtown that have the potential for this same type expansion? I know that there was mention of the possibility of the Sheraton having rooms added but I once read that the new garage built beside Crown Center could also have a building atop of it!

The downtown plaza will definitely change the face of downtown and I would think that eventually, the Radison hotel would come to it's senses and build an annex tower rather than that ugly thing that have there now taking up so much valuable real estate. Finally, the old HRT property could be the next frontier once the new HRT headquarters is built! Hopefully, HRT, light-rail, and the bus station could become a transportation complex such as you would find in larger cities.

Archived