Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

NIMBY's, BANANA's and NOPE's

8 posts in this topic

Fair housing worth the fight

Michael Allen, an attorney at a civil rights law firm in Washington, D.C., and an expert on NIMBYism, has heard them all -- including BANANA, which stands for Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone.

An interesting seminar on affordable housing and the obstacles involved.

while I think there can be made a fair arguement for almost anything. There is a core group of people in our community that are simply BANANA's. NIMBY Township comes to mind. People there have fought absolutely everything that has tried to go in on the East Beltline corridor.

Change is inevitable, down with Nimby's!

In theory, can a BANANA be one answer to sprawl?

Well, let's say you own a $500k home in Cascade. You moved there for the 5 acre lot and the quiet solitude away from the big city.

Next thing you know, there's a North-South runway with a flight pattern right over your house.

Kinda sucks, and of course you're not going to win the battle, but what the hell, you have to fight it.

If it was me at the end of the proposed runway, and I certainly am NOT speaking on behalf of ANYBODY, there's a point where you have to say, "well, yeah, it's for the better of the community, but why on top of my roof?"

The irony, is that I see some NIMBYisms here. Mobile Phone towers is most notable. My personal take? Hell yeah! Put one in my back yard. Literally. In my back yard! Does that mean no more dropped calls?!?!?!?

:)

Well, let's say you own a $500k home in Cascade. You moved there for the 5 acre lot and the quiet solitude away from the big city.

Next thing you know, there's a North-South runway with a flight pattern right over your house.

Kinda sucks, and of course you're not going to win the battle, but what the hell, you have to fight it.

If it was me at the end of the proposed runway, and I certainly am NOT speaking on behalf of ANYBODY, there's a point where you have to say, "well, yeah, it's for the better of the community, but why on top of my roof?"

The irony, is that I see some NIMBYisms here. Mobile Phone towers is most notable. My personal take? Hell yeah! Put one in my back yard. Literally. In my back yard! Does that mean no more dropped calls?!?!?!?

:)

:lol: That's why I say that everyone is going to be a NIMBY at one point in their life or another. Mark my words. There are definitly certain uses that do not coincide with each other. BANANA's on the other hand, are just smokin too much foofoo. If we stopped building "anything anywhere", our economy would collapse.

My dad has a cell tower on some of his land. It's a sweet deal because they lease the land so you get a nice check every month for doing nothing. How long has the airport been there? Buying a house near an airport or a freeway is just asking for it sooner or later.

-nb

I usually find that the NIMBYS or BANANAS contradict themselves. For instance, I have a neighbor that had the "Stop the Zoo!" signs in her front yard and the bumper stickers to match, but I heard her the other day complaining about having to drive her grandchildren to Battle Creek to go to a decent zoo!

Oh, and did I mention that my neighorhood is near Fuller and Leonard? :blink:NOWHERE near the proposed site. I told her to enjoy the drive....

Can't have the conveniences of the big city without making some sacrifices.....people seem to sometimes want it both ways.