Is Ballantyne a success or pleasant looking sprawl?

voyager12

When I drive through there I see many residents utilizing the paths for running and biking etc. Definitely more than I see around Dilworth which was built for walkability and looks down on Ballanytne's existence :shades: Ballantyne reminds me of Hilton Head Island, I grew up there in a series of insular sterile gated communities which may be why I like city living so much better! I think its a mixed bag. The community is very spread out but at least there is pedestrian connectivity and greenspace. People that live there seem to love it and they landed the newest indie theater :angry: so I guess it just depends on personal preference like so many other things.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is interesting that contrary to opinion commonly accepted here, is that in many of the newer developments that were built with sidewalks, walking trails, and new urbanist ideas, people actually do use these things. I commonly see far more people walking down the sidewalks in my neighborhood here in Huntersville than I have ever seen in Myers Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, etc. People that come to visit from Charlotte often remark that it is good to see so many people out and about.

Perhaps its because residents of city neighborhoods take it for granted but its true that East Blvd is dead almost all of the time minus dedicated runners. Everyone in Dilworth complains about traffic and talks about walking but most people get in their cars to go the short distance to Teeter, Latta Pavillion, etc. At one of the DCDA meetings a recent transplant from Manhattan said her kids keep asking where all the "people are" when they go walking. Not a fair comparison,but I am almost always alone when I walk to the East Blvd shops and its depressing. Meanwhile, paths and sidewalks in Ballanytne etc are much busier. People who live in traditional suburbia would love to have similar access and many people in Dilworth don't take advantage of it. Here's to hoping light rail will not meet the same fate.

I guess I've been down there at the wrong time of day then. The Morehead/Kings/Queens Rd West/Selwyn/Queens Rd loop in Myers Park is the most popular five miler in the city for running and walking. When I lived on Kingston Ave in Dilworth, there was a steady stream of folks using the sidewalk in front of my house. The Dowd Y is less than a mile away, and Latta Park directly behind me (one mile all the way around it). So many runners use the Latta Park area that a homeowner at the intersection of Dilworth roads east and west installed a water fountain on the sidewalk in front of his house.

I somehow can't fathom taking a run down Ballantyne Commons Parkway. It would be like running on I-485.

Yeah, I agree, I always see tons of people out and about, especially in the neighborhoods with a solid tree canopy, like MP and Dilworth.

Careful not to compare Ballantyne in Spring to the intown neighborhoods in Winter. There are a lot more people out and about in every neighborhood now than there were a couple months ago. Also, just like with cars, the lack of connectivity in the distant suburbs likely means there are roadway monopolies where walkers and drivers all have to go, so you're much more likely to see walkers than in Dilworth, where there a dozens of lower volume alternatives.

It would be very interesting if a pedestrian traffic count were taken by the government. It would certainly help dispell the statements that "no one uses sidewalks, so the government should stop building them".

As for East Blvd, that is an ugly road to walk down right now, so I'm not sure why someone would choose to walk down East rather than Kinston or Worthington. I am sure that will change, though, when they add the planted median, bike lanes, roundabouts, and other streetscape enhancements. It'll much more walkable then.

Nicer weather does tend to draw people out more. Dilworth's paths are utilized and I did mention how busy it gets with runners in the mornings and early evenings. I think it could be better though. The narrowing of East from below Scott to Freedom Park and the addition of pedestrian islands will be a big help. From an aesthetic perspective I think East Blvd is one of the nicer throughfares in town, the businesses bordering it do an excellent job in keeping the landscaping nice. I have always thought a big median similar to The Plaza off Central would have been a great idea. Although I know that resulted from the former streetcar and was not originally designed, it sure turned out nice!

What hurts East Blvd. as does all roads like it, is that it carries a high volume of relatively fast moving traffic. (not many lights) People tend to not want to stroll along a road like that. My guess is most of the people in that immediate area head to Freedom Park instead.

What hurts East Blvd. as does all roads like it, is that it carries a high volume of relatively fast moving traffic. (not many lights) People tend to not want to stroll along a road like that. My guess is most of the people in that immediate area head to Freedom Park instead.

Yes, I agree. Luckily, that is what the city will correct with the improvements later this year.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/etq3c...x17WebColor.pdf

Archived