Super Bi-Lo coming to Rock Hill

DigitalSky

http://plainvanillashell.com/article.asp?ID=6066

http://www.heraldonline.com/local/story/56...p-5081909c.html

The Rock Hill Herald is reporting that Super Bi-Lo is eyeing the old Rock Hill mall. This is good news considering how much of Cherry Road had been "dying" in recent years due to newer developments such as Manchester Village, The Galleria and the Fort Mill & Lake Wylie areas.

Once Rock Hill's most prominent thoroughfare, Cherry Road has suffered in recent years, stuck in an outdated layout while development has fled to higher-end areas. For many, the mostly abandoned mall is a symbol of Cherry Road's decline.

Now, a Super Bi-Lo and surrounding businesses could help bring shoppers back

What exactly is a Super Bi-Lo?

Among the highlights at the Columbia store are a Starbucks coffee shop, sushi counter, dry cleaning service, DVD checkout kiosk and Western Union.

One side of the 61,000-square-foot store is a typical grocery, while the other houses electronics, children's books and basic home supplies.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to know that there is a specific anchor tenant lined up here. It was announced a few weeks ago that the area would be redeveloped, but not many details were given. But boy, I'll sure miss the $1.50 movie theatre.

The bad thing about this is that, just like on Anderson Road, another big box will be left empty, as there is a Bi-Lo less than a mile up the road closer to the I-77 Cherry Road exit, so obviously that one will have to close in order to make way for the Super Bi-Lo. So in effect there's really only a reshifting going on. On Anderson Road, the Bi-Lo moved into an old Winn-Dixie a little further north (close to exit 77 on I-77).

It's good to know that there is a specific anchor tenant lined up here. It was announced a few weeks ago that the area would be redeveloped, but not many details were given. But boy, I'll sure miss the $1.50 movie theatre.

The bad thing about this is that, just like on Anderson Road, another big box will be left empty, as there is a Bi-Lo less than a mile up the road closer to the I-77 Cherry Road exit, so obviously that one will have to close in order to make way for the Super Bi-Lo. So in effect there's really only a reshifting going on. On Anderson Road, the Bi-Lo moved into an old Winn-Dixie a little further north (close to exit 77 on I-77).

Who said the $1.50 movie theater is closing? Isn't that a seperate outparcel?

Bi-Lo was bought by Lone Star Funds after Ahold sold them, along with its sister store Bruno's. Then Bi-Lo sold their Greensboro area and Fayetteville area stores to C&S Wholesalers (Southern Family Markets)... although these stores are still affiliated with Bi-Lo.

Well I counted, and it looks like currently Bi-Lo and Food Lion both have 5 stores in the city of Rock Hill, and Harris Teeter has two. Bi-Lo did gain some stores last year when Winn Dixie left

Interesting, and even more interesting is that the Bi Lo and Food Lion stores in Rock Hill do very well while both of the HTs there are struggling somewhat. The store on Celanese has gotten or is apparently going to get a remodel. I doubt they will do anything to the Winthrop store though, it's in a fairly old and dumpy area.

Who said the $1.50 movie theater is closing? Isn't that a seperate outparcel?

I thought I recalled the very first article in the Herald mentioning this, but I could be wrong. The theatre is located on property behind the old mall, so you may be correct. I hope so.

I didn't know there were 5 Bi-Lo's in Rock Hill; there are only three that I can think of off the top of my head.

I thought I recalled the very first article in the Herald mentioning this, but I could be wrong. The theatre is located on property behind the old mall, so you may be correct. I hope so.

I didn't know there were 5 Bi-Lo's in Rock Hill; there are only three that I can think of off the top of my head.

You might be right. I had assumed that Bi-Lo also took over 2 Winn Dixies in Rock Hill bumping their # of stores up to 3... but apparently on Bi-Lo's site they list only 3 stores.

Kind of off the topic, but I remember back in the late 80's I was camping in upstate NY near Schenectady and parts west of there. I remember seeing a supermaret called "Food Lion." Now obviously, this wasn't the same Food Lion chain that was once Food World, but it seems odd that someone 1500 miles away would have the same name without it being an extremely rare coincidence.

• 5 months later...

^You know good and well that any Old Navy coming to Rock Hill will be on Dave Lyle. I'm expecting more 2nd rate boutiques/stores to come to this spot.

It's a shame that this redevelopment will only hasten the deterioration of the shopping plaza where the Bi-Lo is currently located right up Cherry, behind Bojangles, Wendy's, and Chick-Fil-A.

Archived