Restaraunt Scene & Nightlife: Austin vs. Dallas

Rwarky

Which city has the most unique restaraunt scene & best nightlife?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the most unique restaraunt scene & best nightlife?

• Austin
    • Dallas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't vote, since I've been to every major city in Texas except Austin. Not by choice, but by circumstance... just never been.

I will say though, years ago, who'd have thought that this question would ever be asked, considering how superior Dallas always appeared in relation to Austin. From what I've read about Austin, though, as it's grown it's developed quite the nightlife. I'm very interested in seeing how this poll turns out.

Austin is way up there on my list of cities to visit soon.

• 3 months later...

Question: How do you know that you don't like a city if you've never been to it?

That name represents one of the darkest, most hurtful and traumatic chapters in my life, and one which I'd like to forget. The place may be a great place, and I have heard it is, but I'd always have that shadow hanging over my head. It's not something I want, or that I'm proud of or trying to flaunt, but it's a constraint that by now I live with and have learned to work around.

• 1 month later...

Austin vs. Dallas. Which city has the most unique restaraunt scene & best nightlife?

I think Dallas has a more vibrant and diverse nightligit and restaurant scene. Austin night life center around one area-6th street where in the metroplex it all over. Austin is not in the same tier as Dallas yet in the restaurant scene although Dallas is the king of the plastic chain restaurants

• 2 weeks later...

Quote=imaterry78247: Austin night life center around one area-6th street

No it's not. Just in downtown you have the Warehouse District and Red River Street as well. Not to mention West 6th, closer to Lamar, which is not the 6th Street Entertainment District between I-35 and Brazos that I'm sure you're talking about.

Also, I live in South Austin, and rarely go downtown. I can go to Saxon Pub, or the Horseshoe Lounge or the Broken Spoke on South Lamar; or head over to SoCo to Ruta Maya, Opal Divine's, or the Continental Club. I can't forget about Freddie's Place on South First. These are just a few places in my little corner of South Austin. There are places all over from Burnet Road, to Riverside Drive, and in the East side that have their own nightlife scene. Because all you've heard about is 6th Street, don't assume there aren't plenty of other nightlife scenes in this city.

I also want to point out that I haven't voted in the poll. I've visited Dallas, but haven't spent enough time their to form an opinion.

I have not been to Dallas, But I have gone to NYC and DC. Austin holds up well to those cities. Although not on the same scale. What amazed me about downtown Austin was that you can go there any day of the week and find thousands of folks partying.

I don't go to 6th st to party, rather I prefer the Wharehouse district. You also can go anywhere in the city limits and find great food an fun. One day I will make it up to Dallas seeing how thats where my NFL team resides. To say that 6th st is all there is shows your ignorance.

• 9 months later...
I have not been to Dallas, But I have gone to NYC and DC. Austin holds up well to those cities. Although not on the same scale. What amazed me about downtown Austin was that you can go there any day of the week and find thousands of folks partying.

I don't go to 6th st to party, rather I prefer the Wharehouse district. You also can go anywhere in the city limits and find great food an fun. One day I will make it up to Dallas seeing how thats where my NFL team resides. To say that 6th st is all there is shows your ignorance.

I won't vote, since I've been to every major city in Texas except Austin. Not by choice, but by circumstance... just never been.

I will say though, years ago, who'd have thought that this question would ever be asked, considering how superior Dallas always appeared in relation to Austin. From what I've read about Austin, though, as it's grown it's developed quite the nightlife. I'm very interested in seeing how this poll turns out.

Austin is way up there on my list of cities to visit soon.

Archived