New Hotel for Downtown Greenville

g-man430

A new hotel could be coming to Downtown Greenville by the end of this year. It will be located next to City Hall in the plaza area. For more information, look on the front page of the "Business & Careers" section where it says "Hotel heaven" in the April 23rd issue of the Greenville News. It's in the part of the paper that comes on Saturday night with all of the store adds. :yahoo:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this hotel was the same one originally rumored to be part of the Tower at Falls and Broad?

I thought about that too when I read the article. But I also wondered if the hotel that JHM is looking to build (they said either downtown or on woodruff) is the Tower at Falls and Broad, but they assure us it's not next to City Hall.

I certainly think downtown can support another hotel. We already determined that for next weekend (i believe that's the date) that the Hyatt and the Poinsett are both booked to capacity for the convention of Datastream-- overflow is mainly being sent to the Hilton from what I understood. The Hampton Inn will help certainly!, but with the cycling championship calling Greenville home, I think more hotels are definitely needed downtown. I guess we'll see how big the need is come this event!

Since both the Hyatt and Westin (and no doubt the Hampton Inn will) had a major impact to DT, this is welcomed news. I do hope that a cosmetic improvement to City Hall is included in whichever proposal is accepted.

Hopefully some of the "runner-up" proposals will simply move to a new site. I am ready to see SOMETHING come out of the ground on Main St.

The redevelopment of Piazza Bergamo, presents a good opprotunity to keep some focus on the Hyatt end of Main. With everything going on with Riverplace/West End/City Hall Plaza, there is some need for that IMO.

As I read the Greenville News article, I was thinking that this project could help our skyline. Isn't there a chance that it could at least be 8-10 stories? I have no idea how big the footprint is, but for it to be a hotel as well as office, retail, or residential, it would have to be a decent number of floors.

total amount or land was like 1.6-1.7 Acres. Any new developement could call for the destruction of the fire station and the building next two it. If that is the case it will be interesting to see how that is handled.

Remember that the DPC did not want Kimbrell's torn down due to its Art Deco characteristics. And the sturctures on Broad accross from the Peace Center in my opininon have much nicer Art Deco characteristics. It will be interesting to see how the DPC handles this consierding those buildings are city owned. Is there a double standard, we may soon find out.

As I read the Greenville News article, I was thinking that this project could help our skyline. Isn't there a chance that it could at least be 8-10 stories? I have no idea how big the footprint is, but for it to be a hotel as well as office, retail, or residential, it would have to be a decent number of floors.

It could be taller than 8-10 stories. Grand Rapids which isn't much bigger than Greenville is building a 20+ story Marriott hotel right now in their downtown, so we could see something pretty tall go up here, but according to the Greenville News we probably won't know until the end of the month, which is only a week away. If you listen to the audio file by Knox White, he said this could include retail, residential, office, and hotel space. This sounds something a lot like the Tower at Falls and Broad. I wonder if it is going to be something like it, because the lot isn't big enough to build something like Riverplace or McBee Station and it will include parking on site, so they would have to go vertical.

It could be taller than 8-10 stories. Grand Rapids which isn't much bigger than Greenville is building a 20+ story Marriott hotel right now in their downtown, so we could see something pretty tall go up here, but according to the Greenville News we probably won't know until the end of the month, which is only a week away. If you listen to the audio file by Knox White, he said this could include retail, residential, office, and hotel space. This sounds something a lot like the Tower at Falls and Broad. I wonder if it is going to be something like it, because the lot isn't big enough to build something like Riverplace or McBee Station and it will include parking on site, so they would have to go vertical.

That is a good point, g-man. This is such a prominent location, and I hope that we see something great go up that is at least 10 stories (we will get greedy as the announcement date gets closer). If a hotel is going to be part of it, hopefully we won't have the delays we have seen with Pinnacle and Camperdown.

My three random guesses for the hotel it will be:

1. Sheraton

2. Wyndham

3. Marriott Courtyard

It would be sweet to see a Sheraton or a Marriot go up here. Think about how many cranes could be up Downtown by the end of this year. You'll have the Pinnacle, Camperdown, Riverplace, this proposed development, and possibly more all possibly with cranes up at the same time. :thumbsup:

I think that location is ripe for a new entrant into the Greenville hotel market, thus the reason I mentioned Sheraton and Wyndham. They are nicer hotels, along the lines of some Hyatts but not quite as nice as Westin. I also think a nicely done Courtyard would be a good fit there, especially since all of their locations in the area are currently suburban. It would probably be comparable to Hampton Inn in quality.

Hilton would probably love to be downtown, but I doubt that will happen since they are already in midtown and recently upgraded that location. I also do not think they would want another location so close to their existing one.

I do not think that location would be a good fit for a lower quality hotel like Best Western or Howard Johnson. Holiday Inn Express is just down the road, so I doubt we will see a regular Holiday Inn there. It will be interesting to see what happens!

That is a good point, g-man. This is such a prominent location, and I hope that we see something great go up that is at least 10 stories (we will get greedy as the announcement date gets closer). If a hotel is going to be part of it, hopefully we won't have the delays we have seen with Pinnacle and Camperdown.

My three random guesses for the hotel it will be:

1. Sheraton

2. Wyndham

3. Marriott Courtyard

I am pretty sure it will not be a Marriot Courtyard. JHM Hotels is the only company that can build Marriot Hotels in the upstate, or at least that is what I am told by a buddy at Marriot Corporate, and JHM says they are not making plans for the site. Though they did say they are trying to decided where their next hotel will go The Point or Downtown.

I am pretty sure it will not be a Marriot Courtyard. JHM Hotels is the only company that can build Marriot Hotels in the upstate, or at least that is what I am told by a buddy at Marriot Corporate, and JHM says they are not making plans for the site. Though they did say they are trying to decided where their next hotel will go The Point or Downtown.

Interesting news, btoy. Thanks for sharing that. I wonder if Marriott will choose to put their next hotel downtown or at The Point? I suppose it also depends on which one of their hotels. It could be something as nice as Renaissance or a regular Marriott, which seems more likely for downtown, or a SpringHill Suites which would seem more appropriate for The Point.

Since both the Hyatt and Westin (and no doubt the Hampton Inn will) had a major impact to DT, this is welcomed news. I do hope that a cosmetic improvement to City Hall is included in whichever proposal is accepted.

Hopefully some of the "runner-up" proposals will simply move to a new site. I am ready to see SOMETHING come out of the ground on Main St.

The redevelopment of Piazza Bergamo, presents a good opprotunity to keep some focus on the Hyatt end of Main. With everything going on with Riverplace/West End/City Hall Plaza, there is some need for that IMO.

I was wondering about the "runner-ups" as well. The deadline for RFPS is April 30...this seems kind of premature for the City to announce a hotel already.

So far, I don't think Greenville is having very much luck with mixed use. The retail level in the Bookends is empty, Wachovia Place has had a vacant spot for well over a year, and the only retail/restaurant that has been named for Riverplace is the Grape, and the city has been giving them a hard time from the beginning. The only development making any progress is Poinsett Corners and they still have available space all the way down Broad Street and most of River Street. I wonder if these developments are offering any incentives to fill these spots???

So far, I don't think Greenville is having very much luck with mixed use. The retail level in the Bookends is empty, Wachovia Place has had a vacant spot for well over a year, and the only retail/restaurant that has been named for Riverplace is the Grape, and the city has been giving them a hard time from the beginning. The only development making any progress is Poinsett Corners and they still have available space all the way down Broad Street and most of River Street. I wonder if these developments are offering any incentives to fill these spots???

i noticed that as well. good point.

Mixed use could just be a Hotel with some condos, but I am sure it would include retail, but it doesn't have to. I think part of the reason space is available in the other mixed use projects is becuase it is off main, though Wachovia still has a space on Main. It takes time, but the space will fill.

Archived