New Hotel for Downtown Greenville

g-man430

The Windsor/Aughtery proposal is probably the best candidate overall. Another hotel would really help downtown. I wonder what stores would be included in the other proposal. If they would merely provide small independent retailer space, it might not be the best idea. We have a surplus of that currently. If it were a major space (20,000 feet or more), then that proposal would be tempting. Another Mast General-sized store is needed Downtown.

Maybe the Windsor/Aughtery proposal can be modified to include some retail. That would make it ideal. Or better yet, maybe the city will sell City Hall to the runner-up and build a newer, better looking City Hall elsewhere.

Even better still, the city and county combine to build a new high rise to hold the County Square and City Hall offices. I know, not gonna happen, but a fella can dream can't he.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Windsor/Aughtery proposal is probably the best candidate overall. Another hotel would really help downtown. I wonder what stores would be included in the other proposal. If they would merely provide small independent retailer space, it might not be the best idea. We have a surplus of that currently. If it were a major space (20,000 feet or more), then that proposal would be tempting. Another Mast General-sized store is needed Downtown.

Excellent point. I agree.

That would be a perfect opportunity to attract another retail anchor to downtown- and having a developer + city officials pushing for one could certainly help. Even a big Borders Books & Music would help, although I'm still hoping for a mini-department store, since in-town neighborhoods now lack one, with the demise of the various center-city Belk's and the rest of McAlister Square.

I found it interesting that Smith Holmes development was the group trying to do the 14 story Tower at Main & Broad accross the street. Their project if they are awarded the site will include 12 stories according to the article.

A Borders would be great, but a mini-department store seems unrealistic. Can you provide some cities and the department stores they have?

Yes:

Birmingham, AL- a small Parisian (very small, like the Mast General Store in size)

Others that aren't exactly on point are NYC (with a small Bloomingdale's branch downtown in the "with-it" shopping area of SoHo) and Charlotte (with a tiny Belk's uptown-- too small to really have much of anything but at least better than nothing).

With the demise of McAlister Square, close-in neighborhoods in Greenville have nowhere nearby to shop for basic department store-type merchandise, other than boutiques downtown and on Augusta Road. Even a Belk's like the one that was at Lewis Plaza would be a help for ties, socks, etc.

Yes:

Birmingham, AL- a small Parisian (very small, like the Mast General Store in size)

This Parisian unfortunately probably doesn't have a very long life left. With Parisian up for sale, I've heard this tiny location will probably get chopped. It never really sold anything more than a few pair of socks and cosmetics. When I lived in B'ham, would go in (at lunch time) and nobody there. The sale of Southtrust to Wachovia, which did away with a large chunk of downtown B'ham workers has only made matters worse. :(

There is a Hilton Garden Inn scheduled to go up at The Point. We already have the Hilton at Haywood. The article said upscale and Hilton or DoubleTree are the only two under that family of hotels that are really upscale. Anybody think a DoubleTree? Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread.

I've continued to hear something else from the Starwood family soon for Greenville.

Another thought: It could be an extension/addition for the Westin Poinsett? This would make some sense, given the site's proximity, and could provide the Westin Poinsett with some convention/show space as well as provide City Council with the desired Ground Floor Chambers. ;)

Sheraton would work really well, I think. They are not in the Greenville market anywhere, and downtown makes sense for their initial entry into the market. gsupstate, are you hearing that Sheraton would be somewhere else besides downtown (i.e., Greenville mall site)? Or is downtown a possibility?

I also think Marriott is a likely possibility. Just because there is one at Pelham doesn't mean they would not be interested in also having a downtown location. Greenville is big enough and growing enough to have more than one, you know.

And it's not totally out of the question for Hilton to be downtown, despite having another location in midtown. That is more of a stretch than a Marriott going downtown, but I don't think it's totally out of the question. For downtown, a regular Hilton seems more probable than a Garden Inn.

DoubleTree would also work well. It is a nice chain from what I understand, although I don't believe I have ever stayed in one myself.

I too am very glad the city is trying to explore other location options for theses developments. If all three of the projects happen, it would really help DT. However, I do not see any of them happening anytime soon. Remember that list of highrises from last year? Many of thoses have been proposed for nearly one and a half years, and not a SINGLE one has even broken ground (I'm not counting the Hampton Inn because this was part of a larger project already underway). Proposals are good, but one project underway is more impressive than a hundred proposals.

Still, all we can do is await eagerly....

I also think Marriott is a likely possibility. Just because there is one at Pelham doesn't mean they would not be interested in also having a downtown location. Greenville is big enough and growing enough to have more than one, you know.

Very true.

And it's not totally out of the question for Hilton to be downtown, despite having another location in midtown. That is more of a stretch than a Marriott going downtown, but I don't think it's totally out of the question. For downtown, a regular Hilton seems more probable than a Garden Inn.

Well how about an Embassy Suites? It's in the Hilton family of hotels.

Well how about an Embassy Suites? It's in the Hilton family of hotels.

An Embassy certainly would be great! but I don't think two Embassy Suites would happen anytime soon for Greenville. The one at Verdae is Huge- too bad it's not downtown!

An Embassy certainly would be great! but I don't think two Embassy Suites would happen anytime soon for Greenville. The one at Verdae is Huge- too bad it's not downtown!

I agree, but their location is actually going to be a great and highly desirable one over the next 15-20 years and beyond. I never understood why they built "out in the middle of nowhere," but with Verdae's development plans being what they are the Embassy Suites plays a key role.

Don't forget it is a golf resort and conference center, so it had to be somewhat out of downtown.

As I said before, I'd love to see a mixed-use project no less than 10-stories in height, but preferably 15+ stories. I would place plenty of retail space on the first floor or two, and the hotel space in the next six stories, followed by office and then residential space at the top level. I could see swapping hotel for office, and bumping residential below hotel, giving visitors the premium views from atop the tower, next to the pool and basketball & racketball courts. As for the brand, anything in the Hilton family would definitely be a success, but there are others out there I'd be happy with.

I believe either project built will be atleast 12 stories.The article mentioned one proposal was 12 stories but didn't hint to much about the other hopefully meaning a taller and more noticable addition to our skyline.

I'd lilke to see the Tower at Falls and Broad, one at Main and Broad, and another on the City Hall Plaza, all in the 14-20 floor range, with some unique features on top. These, combined with the Camperdown, the Pinnacle on Main, and the new court house, would help downtown seem more "complete" to me, at least as I think of it in the near future, if that makes any sense?

That photo of Winston-Salem that krazeeboi posted in the other thread makes me wish we had some unique high rises on our skyline. :shades:

Archived