630 North Street

RaleighRick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is already dated looking in a retro kind of way. I'm guessing this was the intent. I like it. Besides, almost all buildings get dated at some point in time, but styles come and go.

Is the Empire State Building dated...sure it is, but it is still cool. Is Miami's South Beach dated...sure it is, but it is still cool. What guidelines would everyone here suggest an architect take with respect to Raleigh? The Wake County Courthouse was probably really nice when it was first rendered...but how do most people feel about it? I personally like things that aren't cookie-cutters. I think North Street will look good once complete.

Isn't that the truth. Could you imagine the impact of a building with gracious curves or soemthing other than 'a box" on our skyline?

I'm pleased with this building though, it's got a lot of glass, that's sometheing that will fit in well in this location. If it were a 30 story on F-street with this design, then no, I wouldn't like it.

Tell me about it! And the ones that do have some curves (guys love curves) ain't all that pretty. Like that hideous dog breath of a 'rotunda' behind the police station on Harget. Ugg.

Where is the architectural creativity in this burgh? Oh, yeah, down at the mall (soleil). Too bad THAT bad boy couldn't be where RBC was planned and vice versa. I'd make that trade in a second.

I hereby coin a new term, inspired by The Paramount, The Dawon, The Bloomsbury Estates, The West, The Puke, and and The North: McCONDO. Raleigh has too many condos that look the same.

Face it, forumers: the downtown archiecture is getting as insipid as its suburban counterpart.

I agree that downtown architecture could be a lot more exciting than it is. But I firmly believe that having proper urban form is the number one concern. Everything after that is a distant second. How it relates to and feels from the street is what builds an urban environment. And this building seems to do quite well - certainly better than (for example) Paramount.

I agree that downtown architecture could be a lot more exciting than it is. But I firmly believe that having proper urban form is the number one concern. Everything after that is a distant second. How it relates to and feels from the street is what builds an urban environment. And this building seems to do quite well - certainly better than (for example) Paramount.

I know people involved with this building and they say it is a "go" with starting date sometime in March/April timeframe. I see the developers around town and know several others on the project. I will see if what else I can find out.

I think that bottom level is not retail but could be something with 9-5 hours. That is what they are selling. And I have also heard that the materials are to be very nice, but believe that when it happens.

They did have a big party a while back (2 months ago) at Amra's and I think their plan is to sell to many insiders (not first time owners) as many people involved are from Raleigh or have been here a long time.

• 3 months later...

Glenwood South Fellowship (the church occupying this site) is in the process moving out of their building (the movers were out tonight). That has to mean some good news for progress on this project.

This one seems to be a project that has sort of fallen thru the cracks in our discussions, not attracting so much attention, but it will be a significant bldg in GlenSo... present in the skyline and hopefully creating another activity center via ground floor shops.

I had almost forgotten about this one. The more I think about it, the more I like the look of it. It's such a different design and style than the other projects planned for that area. I think it will really give GlenSo a distinctive look, especially once 222 and W at N rise to their full heights.

Boylan is steadily becoming a mid-rise avenue from Peace heading south with the Paramount, Boylan Flats, 630 North configuration. I think for the most part this is the best direction for this part of town, so that some semblence of quaintness survives along with the activity of a living breathing city.

• 2 weeks later...

Article on the Glenwood South fellowship Church, who has moved out of their bldg at Boylan and North St.

Quest, formerly Glenwood South Fellowship, sold its 87-year-old, half-acre church at 400 N. Boylan Ave. for $2.15 million.

Quest's old property, too, will undergo a resurrection.

A partnership called 630 North Street plans to demolish the church within two months and build an 11-story building with 48 residential condos, 31,000 square feet of offices and 126 parking spaces by 2009.

The group spent two years hunting fruitlessly for a place to build. Then Quest came with an offer to sell, says 630 North partner Terry Espy, adding:

"Our prayers were answered."

In the article, it sounded like few (if any) members lived nearby any more. Yet they knew what was going on around them, renaming themselves Glenwood South Fellowship in the last few years. With attendance in decline, I have no idea why they need *more* space -- 37 acres! They probably wanted the space for on-site, private parking and a ego-feeding structure that comes with it. Garner has plenty of these, and seems to always have room for one more.

But buying land near 540's path probably wasn't a good idea. Garner *really* wants a mall to put them on the map, and it will go somewhere near 540/40/70.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Thanks for posting the update. I knew with the church sale and the move, it had to be soon.

Not that we haven't seen it before, but for those that want not the same old JDavis design, this qualifies I think:

630_North_Street.gif

Yeah, it's nice looking and all, but I'm pissed there won't be any street retail... another internally focused building in a potentially great retail location:

street_level.gif

I wouldn't quite call this internally focused. All the ground-level space along Boylan & North open up to the sidewalk. It's just office space, apparently, not retail- which is a bit of a disappointment. Given the proximity to Glenwood South, and that retail space would probably sell like hotcakes, I sort of assume that that is due to zoning. If there's no zoning problems, then why can't someone buy some of that ground-level commercial space and turn it into a retail establishment? A convenience store would be just awesome. If it must be office space, it will probably wind up being a travel agent, realtor, architect, or something along those lines that generates light foot traffic, which won't be too bad. At least the space has lots of glassy walls, and relates well to the street.

Archived