630 North Street

RaleighRick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to throw this out there: A $180,000, 10-year loan at 7% roughly has a $1,200 monthly payment.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/mortgage-calculator.asp

Hm? That depends on your down payment.

Minus the down payment, a 10-year loan gives you a roughly $2100 monthly payment, while a 20 year loan has a roughly $1400 monthly payment.

I got to think that it will be hard to own a new condo for much less than $180.

Is there new residential construction in the city for $180 ? If there is I bet it is not near the city center.

JB

712 Tucker's website says condos start at 125K...granted thats probably for max 500 sq ft.

The issue I am having with current projects is that they are charging a premium price for very boring design. I can see a time in the near future when The Paramount, Dawson, 222 glenwood, and 712 tucker look very dated in a bad way.

Screw that building. Something much better is going to replace it. It doesn't quite have that historic architechtural flavor that warrants protection.
Thanks my words exactly were getting something that has vision for Raleigh and is much better i respect the church and all but that building looks like it belongs in five points or North Raleigh. :)

According to the article this will go on the northeast corner.

This will be a very high-end development. Prices start at $395,000 and the units will average 2000 square feet. $200psf is actually not bad, but do we really need so many huge units downtown?

Does this corner have a decent sized church on it? Interesting. Have to say it will look out of place there for a while, until some other stuff of similar size fills in around it. I am all for more residences in the area though.

Edit: My bad...I see the thread covered that now......very little merit to the existing building imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is officially BUMP day :lol:

Courtesy of RaleighMSA.com...

Just a couple of blocks from the West At North, at the North-East corner of Boylan Ave and North Str, Mr Iatridis and Mrs Espy have plans for a 10-story mid-rise that will feature 24 residential condos on the upper 4 floors, 3 floors of for-sale office space, 4 levels of parking (2 of them will be underground) and possibly some retail/bank on the ground floor. The purchase of the land will be completed in September of 2006 and the total cost of the 175,000sf building is estimated at $18 million. North Street will be completed sometime in 2008. No images of the building have been released yet, but we should be very close to the initial renderings.

link & scroll down

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is just down the street from Hibernian--on the other side of North St. One thing i don't like is there is no first floor retail, only office and residential. I know Tucker St got an exception from the city for that, but I hope they are pushed to have some retail fronting North St.

I think this is just down the street from Hibernian--on the other side of North St. One thing i don't like is there is no first floor retail, only office and residential. I know Tucker St got an exception from the city for that, but I hope they are pushed to have some retail fronting North St.

From the floor plans, the ground-floor commercial space (which I assume means retail) covers the entire space along Boylan. The only entrance is at the corner of Boylan and North, but there are windows into the space all along the street.

street_level.jpg

If 'commercial space' really does mean 'office only, no retail' then there's no way this is by design from the developer's point of view. The only thing I can think of would be zoning restrictions.

I know Tucker St got an exception from the city for that

Hm, does this mean that 712 Tucker St got an exception from the city to allow retail, or to avoid the requirement? I thought that 712 Tucker was going to be all-residential.

Good little project....can't tell what the material is on the exterior of the building....concrete (like Boylan Flats) or marble....put up about 20 more 10 story buildings downtown and it'll start to feel like a city....glenwood is really starting to get dense with North Street and West Street being spill over projects from Glenwood proper.

Tucker St is all residential--the city wanted them to build 1st floor retail, but I believe they waived it. If you look at the website, it looks like strictly office space on the bottom floors. The site shows a big boardroom photo when talking about the space. To me that is a mistake. Tucker St had a better argument due to it's location a little further from the action. This is about one block from Glenwood South, it should have 1st floor retail IMO.

This area around Helios will be pretty nice with North Street coming online. A nice design for that area I think. I can see this becoming similar to Jo's Coffee and the San Jose Motel in Austin, TX. With that area above Helios going to a live music venue---the people living there will be right behind a live music/coffeehouse space. This area will have an increased energy at night.

• 4 months later...

The Planning Commission approved 630 North St, and it goes before the city council today for approval.

11 stories, 119 feet, 48 condos, 18k office space, 14k retail or tenant use space, 129 parking spaces on 0.55 acres

630NorthStreet-RaleighNC-1s.jpg

Here's the condo's website. It's right down North Street from the Hibernian Pub at the corner of Boylan and North (it will replace the Glenwood South Fellowship Church).

Archived