630 North Street

RaleighRick

This is a waste of a post essentially, but I'll chime in to say it looks great. A nice departure from the sea of red and beige the other condo projects form. Sure it's boxy, but it's a freakin low-rise. There isn't exactly a lot of room to put detail on it. Low-rises aren't quite the capital venture projects that high-rises are, so there isn't as much leeway to experiment with the architecture either.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Raleigh I would call this mid-rise but it doesn't really matter.....I too am glad to see a different look.....the trend in the general area seems to be that commercial development will be on Glenwood, West and Peace with some pushing off of those three a little bit.....is this ok? Maybe. With enough density you will need services, not offices near where you live. Raleigh though, even downtown, tends to want to create quietish well defined residential areas. I think this is part of the equation for why Hudson struggles. The whole area west of Glenwood to St Marys college, despite alot of low intensity office use, seems to lend itself to a larger, Oakwood, Pilot Mill Village, Boylan Heights, mostly residential configuration. Just observations, not really condoning it.

I wouldn't quite call this internally focused. All the ground-level space along Boylan & North open up to the sidewalk. It's just office space, apparently, not retail- which is a bit of a disappointment. Given the proximity to Glenwood South, and that retail space would probably sell like hotcakes, I sort of assume that that is due to zoning. If there's no zoning problems, then why can't someone buy some of that ground-level commercial space and turn it into a retail establishment? A convenience store would be just awesome. If it must be office space, it will probably wind up being a travel agent, realtor, architect, or something along those lines that generates light foot traffic, which won't be too bad. At least the space has lots of glassy walls, and relates well to the street.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopefully, this will start construction soon (although last check, I saw no approved permits)... from today's council agenda:

24.4 North Street and North Boylan Avenue - Temporary Parking Restriction

It is recommended that a No Parking Zone be established on the north side of North Street between Glenwood Avenue and North Boylan Avenue and on North Boylan Avenue between North Street and Tucker Street. This recommendation is made in order to establish adequate lane widths due to the

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

They should not be so intent on condos....how about office space for ten stories and ground floor retail? The new Cline architecture building took a non-condo approach and the article about it said the banks were happier to see no condos in the proposal. Our downtown can still grow even if condos are leveled off for a while.

Archived