Gardendale's $50M Caufield Square

Blazer85

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What tenants are expected ?

So far, all that the developer has said is that there will be a movie theatre, bowling alley, and a Coldstone Creamery. There will be more retail and restaurants announced in the coming weeks most likely. There's also a residential component to this (much like Soho Square in Homewood).

• 3 months later...

Site work is well underway and, in fact, is supposed to be completed by mid September. Construction on the buildings will follow shortly after that. Work had been moving pretty slow, but with the drought it's really given them a chance to catch up since there's no rain to interfere.

• 2 months later...

The developers are meeting with the architects and "redesigning and enlarging" the theatre part of the development. I guess they determined the demand in northern metro Birmingham would exceed the 10-screen theatre originally planned. Construction is expected to begin in earnest by December.

• 2 months later...

I've gotten word from the developer... a couple of interesting bits I've learned...

As far as tenants, this development is likely to be more on the high end of things, so you won't see any of those "big box" type things you see at many other retail developments around the city. It will include retail, office, and condo space... more like a small city within a city and unlike anything currently in Metro Birmingham.

First of all, there is still some uncertainty as to how much larger the theatre will be, but it has been redesigned to be larger. Other tenants include a bookstore national chain (w/ coffeehouse component) as well as an upscale mid-sized market like some seen in the Over the Mountain community. Other tenants may be released in the near future.

As for the condos, there has been such a demand that there is a significant waiting list. Originally planned to only include buildings in the range of 2-3 stories, now the developer is contemplating a 7-8 story midrise tower as part of the residential component.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more...

That's interesting. I guess the developers is anticipating a larger influx of higher income residents to the area within the next few years, so they are beating the curve. I assume that this bookstore with coffeehouse will likely be either Books-A-Million w/ Joe Muggs or Barnes & Noble w/ Starbucks. I can also see where the larger theater is need considering Regal closed Festival 18 (the largest in the city) last year. I hope that this new theater is 18-20 screens to fulfill the need for a large theater in the region and a movie theater in the northern part of the metro (which has been ignored by Regal and Carmike for years).

That's interesting. I guess the developers is anticipating a larger influx of higher income residents to the area within the next few years, so they are beating the curve. I assume that this bookstore with coffeehouse will likely be either Books-A-Million w/ Joe Muggs or Barnes & Noble w/ Starbucks. I can also see where the larger theater is need considering Regal closed Festival 18 (the largest in the city) last year. I hope that this new theater is 18-20 screens to fulfill the need for a large theater in the region and a movie theater in the northern part of the metro (which has been ignored by Regal and Carmike for years).

• 5 months later...

Still planned, but the county dragged its feet on getting the road to this complex widened. Only recently was the widening let by ALDOT. So eventually, the project will get back on track. Alot of site work and work on access roads has begun... but no real work on the buildings has been done. But now that the widening of the road should be forthcoming, building should probably begin soon.

Archived