Armed Forces Retirement Home, Gulfport

tombarnes

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thats typical government spending, It would be cheaper to demolish the damaged buildings and put up new ones.

Before I got out of the Seabees they built a five floor barrack building on CBC from the ground up for 11M and just across the street they renovated a five floor barrack building for 26.5M.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Countdown to Crumbling....Implosion Scheduled for Next Week

The AFRH building, damaged severely by Katrina, will be demolished by implosion next Thursday. The contract will be handled by an Alabama company. Plans call for a new building on the site, but plans have not yet been revealed. I wouldn't miss this building, and its implosion will be an important sign of recovery. With any luck, its replacement will be more attractive.

The Sun Herald

AFRH Imploded Today

The Armed Forces Retirement Home on Beach Boulevard in Gulfport was imploded today. I hope its replacement will be more attractive. Given that the Pentagon is building this, I doubt that aesthetics will be foremost in their minds. In any event, the new building should still be an improvement.

The Sun Herald

• 4 months later...

Ground Broken for New AFRH

Ground has been broken for the replacement for the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Biloxi. The new building has a modern appearance, but I wonder whether or not the design is the best that could have been chosen. Still, it's entirely better than we might have expected for a military installation, so its architectural flourishes are almost unexpected. I believe that the three wings have been placed on the lot in order to give each unit a balcony and water view. It's a huge improvement over the old one as well.

The Sun Herald

Archived