Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

I've decided to start a topic just for this, because there are several projects specifically on Broad that could be covered here. The Times-Dispatch had a good article on some of the projects taking place...

The 'Jewelry Building' is back....

The Schwartzchild Building

Schwartzchild Jewelers, the Jeweler in Richmond, was a mainstay on Broad St, long after most other stores left for suburbia. They finally closed their downtown location in 2003. Shortly thereafter, it was purchased, and renovation of the historic building was begun.

The top 2 floors were converted into "chic, high-ceiling" apartments. 5 of 8 are already leased. The are trying to llure a restaurant or something of that nature into the streetlevel space. Hugh Shytle, one of the developers of the building, said ""If all the corner buildings [at Second and Broad] were renovated, we could make a major statement."

Central National Bank Tower

Jemal seems very cryptic, but says he's waiting for office and retail tenants for the historic art deco tower, 1 block east of the Schwartzchild building. He said, ""We demo'ed the interior and cleaned it up -- took off about 50 years of make-up." Jemal also owns about 10 other buildings in Richmond.

nice quote:

The whole Broad Street corridor from Virginia Commonwealth University to VCU Medical School is coming back, said Brian Glass, a senior vice president at Grubb & Ellis/Harrison & Bates.

"It's changing faster than you can blink," Glass said. "You would be surprised at how many people live above the street level."

Once residential living is established on Broad Street, retail will follow, he said.

Although renovation efforts are spotty along certain blocks, eventually they will be linked, Glass said.

The article also mentions several other projects underway or completed in the city....check it out!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Broad from last year this time, well from Belvidere to 8th. It was one of the most exhausting walks since it had gotten warm and I hadn't prepared for it. The next week when I did Marshall and Clay, I was prepared with water. Unfortunately, for the most part, the pics that started my downtown survey last March through May inspired by Ryan, haven't been edited or resized. I've only posted a few here and there. I'm sure there's been quite a few updates.

I redid Jackson and DuVal and when I look at the horrendous first set, I noticed some places missing that I didn't notice missing this year.

:alc::yahoo::w00t: Coupe did you see the FCH downtown, I didn't know it would be so big!

We need mor pictures and photos of Broad. Because it looks like now its a hotbed for bussiness!

Hey Jw,

Whats the FCH project??

Yall stop by the Cornerstone Building at 101 - 107 west broad its a neat building circa 1894, " The old Masonic Temple" currently traded as the the Renaissance conference Center when youre doing pics and we'll be happy to show you the interior of our Ballrooms and Foyer and donate some type of libation to the cause. :D

I've decided to start a topic just for this, because there are several projects specifically on Broad that could be covered here. The Times-Dispatch had a good article on some of the projects taking place...

Coupe, thanks for the new topic, Its great! :yahoo:

No problem Jon... as I've said before, I really like your building. It's right in the midst of Broad's transformation, which must be very good for you guys :)

I might take you up on that offer the next time I'm along Broad taking pics.

**I think FCH is referring to the new Federal Courthouse.

Since you're on Broad on a daily basis, feel free to add updates on projects happening around you... Better yet, poke around at some of the buildings under redevelopment and get the inside info! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Another interesting picture in Ryan's newest gallery is a shot of CNB tower from the west.

A full-height fire escape has been added to the western side of the building. I've never noticed it in the past, and I'm sure this is a Jamal addition.

Now, if the whole property could be converted to a Judicial Center with a beautiful court house in the ground floor atrium and lawyer's offices in the tower. :)

After wandering around the city all weekend.. it's quite apparent to me that Broad Street's comeback is absolutely vital to the success of the city's rebirth. It has potential to thrive again...perhaps not at it's historical heights, but still at a healthy level.Let's hope reinvestment continues.

It'll never be as it was. I still would like to see a mix of national chains and local business... but as was reported on channel 12 the other day, the retail is coming... THE RETAIL IS COMING! And we must get rid of that 1960s downtown look. The buildings look good and classy in their original state... they can be renovated, restored and updated.

• 5 weeks later...

I was on Broad Street today for work and I must say times they are a changin'! More specifically, I was near Jon's building at Adams and Broad.

There are a lot of apartments and condos and a lot of people living in them... I saw a bunch of young people, probably VCU students, coming in and out of the doors that lead up to the apartments on multiple blocks.

Work is coming along nicely in the Popkins Building for the Popkins restaurant. I saw what seemed to be a pretty large bar under construction inside.

There's a lot of ground floor space that is being readied for retail once retailers bite the bait and come down. Several of the major commercial real estate companies are handling the leasing in the retail/office portions, which is most likely a positive sign (i.e. Thalhimer, GVA Advantis, Grub Ellis etc).

There's also tons of work going on in Jackson Ward.

In the end, I can see Broad St becoming a great blend of retail shops, offices, restaurants, coffee shops/cafes, and art galleries, all topped off with residential units above. :)

Another interesting picture in Ryan's newest gallery is a shot of CNB tower from the west.

A full-height fire escape has been added to the western side of the building. I've never noticed it in the past, and I'm sure this is a Jamal addition.

Now, if the whole property could be converted to a Judicial Center with a beautiful court house in the ground floor atrium and lawyer's offices in the tower. :)

I made that up about the fire escape being a new addition. In looking at older pictures, it's always been there.

Excuse my goof, friends.

I wish Mr. Jemal would announce some tenants soon. But, hey, I still like my idea of a Judicial Center there.

No JWCJ, we don't need more time and sick people... :whistling:

But Burt, you should see CNB at night... those pics are ready I just haven't uploaded them... those were done that night... oh and your Byrd Park fountain pics at night... those are done too just not uploaded... sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to go out to Grace, Broad and Cary streets downtown and in the slip but I don't have the times to make it out there and I'm going out of town I wish some could go out there and get some great pics of dof the downtown areas progress. Pllleeeaaassss?

Archived