Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks... you must have been surfing the net because I know I didn't put them up here.

A Cat 5 wouldn't hit us... a 3 or 4 at the most and I am not staying in this house if even the area if there were one. If I stay I'd be in a concrete box on a hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the only downtown shopping district, or is there a newer one that may still be drawing people away from there. Revitalization is very hard, and even harder when new districts are popping up next door. I wasn't here at the time, but I have heard countless stories of the debacles they went through with retail at Granby street (even at one point closing the street to make it a mall <_< ). We are certainly not immune down here to that type of thing and i think you'd be hard pressed to find a city that hasn't gone through a slump in downtown retail. Hopefully with the wane in popularity of suburban living nowadays these trends will reverse.

Thanks, vdogg. A sad but true story. This is the retail story that is repeated in city after city in the US. Norfolk is smart and lucky to have MacArthur Center. Let's hope it flourishes and spurs more retail downtown.

The poor retail situation in a new, reviving downtown Richmond is baffling in light of 80,000 workers in the area daily. Maybe the growing central population combined with more restaurants, night life and things to do will convince the large work force to stick around after 5PM and encourage burbers to come down.

Unfortunately, Retailers use a stringent formulas to determine whether or not they should enter an area and at this point Downtown doesn't cut it for many of the formulas. They won't come down just because they think it would be the nice thing to do.

I'm OK with downtown just being a place to work, go to court, go to the hospital and to pay utilities. Downtowns don't need to be all things to all people. I'd like to see the workforce expand and would like to see more 9-5 businesses to support a bigger workforce. I'm Ok with people going home after 5:00. That said; with the concerts, festivals, hockey games and restaurants, there are already plenty of reasons to hang around after work (but really who honestly does want to hang around anywhere after work with out going home first?).

I'm moving to Jackson ward in two weeks. We'll see if my needs change.

Nice Brent... good luck with the move (don't tell JCWJ) :rofl:

But just have downtown be just a big office park? Well there should be something for us people in the east. Everything is in the west and downtown is very close and offers nearly nothing for most of the people... remember we're not as posh as the "west-ten-yend." But we deserve something and something better than pawn shops and ghetto fab places.

And tell those jerks coupe... try something new.

But just have downtown be just a big office park?

Blasphemy! :lol: That is counter to every principle that urbanplanet is founded on. Don't be content with a downtown empty after 5, that is way too much valuable real estate to simply waste on the daytime. A lively downtown helps promote a sense of community, which in turn ups the quality of life for a cities residents, which in turn makes that city more attractive to outsiders (people an businesses) looking to make a move. You see where i'm going with this. An active downtown is the symbol of a vibrant city, and something all cities should strive for.

I'll bet a quarter that after Brent gets settled in Jackson Ward he'll be out hitting the neighborhood bars and restaurant. And the great thing is that there actually are bars and restaurants in that downtown area which weren't there as recently as five years ago. Comfort, 27, Popkins, Croaker's Spot, Corner Bar and Grill and Jackson Ward Deli are just a few. And for extra kicks, there's the Matrix Room, The Cotton Club and Penny Lane Pub. Prosit, Brent! :alc:

You've left us dangling, Shak. More info, please.

PS. And keep your eyes peeled on the National and let us know if there's any activity.

I will have to do a drive-by this evening. This will be a 4-story condo building on top of Ground Floor retail. 5-stories total height. I have seen renderings online. I will find and post.

Does anybody know anything about a proposed Club called CAMEL that has been talked about for the block on West Broad across from Lowe's between Lombardy and Allen Avenue? It's to be in a building now occupied by a radio station.

It's on the ground floor of the same building of which WRIR occupies the upper floors. There's decor inside and it looks open-ish, but I've only been that way once recently.

I will have to do a drive-by this evening. This will be a 4-story condo building on top of Ground Floor retail. 5-stories total height. I have seen renderings online. I will find and post.

The project I was refering to is called Ironhouse Place. It is located at 1333 West Borad St, next door to the former Art Market. It will be a 4-story condo with ground level retail. The current structures at this site are being demolished except for the facades. The facades will be incorporated with this project. See developers link below:

http://www.ironhouseplace.com/about.aspx

I took some photos of the demolition work. I will post these photos soon.

• 2 months later...

The hole in the ground will be fully landscaped and turned into park space, and completed by January of '07. The steel structure will be renovated along with the Carpenter Center, and be turned into a public auditorium. The parking lot where the former Atlantic Life Builing also has the potential of being developed in the process as well.

The hole in the ground will be fully landscaped and turned into park space, and completed by January of '07. The steel structure will be renovated along with the Carpenter Center, and be turned into a public auditorium. The parking lot where the former Atlantic Life Builing also has the potential of being developed in the process as well.

Work on the hole is suppose to start on January of 2007.

Archived