Broad Street Revitalization

wrldcoupe4

This is somewhat off-topic, yet it deals with Richmond's hotel emperor. In Style Weekly's comments on the Convention Center, Mr. Amin is quioted as building an 8-story Hilton Spa full service hotel off West Broad Street in Short Pump. Is this the project we have seen renderings of in Town Center West which looks to have at least 12 floors?

Can you give us any updates, Tommy?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is somewhat off-topic, yet it deals with Richmond's hotel emperor. In Style Weekly's comments on the Convention Center, Mr. Amin is quioted as building an 8-story Hilton Spa full service hotel off West Broad Street in Short Pump. Is this the project we have seen renderings of in Town Center West which looks to have at least 12 floors?

Can you give us any updates, Tommy?

As far as I know, the Towne Center West Hilton still stands at 12 floors. Maybe it's talking about the Hilton Garden Inn in Innsbrook?

At night this weekend, the interior was lit up on several floors. Just because changes to the facade aren't occurring doesn't mean nothing is being done inside. That's where the bulk of the work will be taking place anyway.

Just my 2 cents worth, I was out quite a bit last week on foot in DT , The M&R building on broad had nothing going on but the Grace street side had activity everyday.

(thought I'd post this here as well)

I think Broad Street has come a long way in the past few years, but it obviously still has a long way to go. What do ya'll think is needed to propel Broad to the next level and beyond? I know, I know, we don't need another "white elephant," and I have hope we'll learn from past mistakes, so let's not make it one of those threads. But what else is needed? What roles should the city play? Should a "Kelo" style eminent domain effort be employed to open up property for redevelopment which is currently owned by slumlording squatters? Should the city simply encourage property owners to fix up and invest in their properties, and if so, how? What kind of mix (of uses) would make Broad most desirable? Should it be funky and eclectic or filled with chains or a mix of both? What will be the catalyst for its comeback?

Basically, I'm just trying to start a dialogue on what we want Broad Street to become and how we get there. Thoughts?

I'd love Broad Street to become a great shopping district with many, many non-chain restaurants a la 27, Cabo's Corner Bistro, and Tarrant's Cafe. Cleaning up the streets, so to speak, would have to be priority #1 because I won't be the first to say it, but walking on Broad Street east of Belvidere, especially closer to the north part, just doesn't feel safe.

Residential redevelopment is also a beginning step, but, like you said Burt, is something that presents a challenge that would probably have to be stimulated by the city authorities.

Thanks for the update! I can't wait till this project is finished!

You and I brother... U and I

Maybe as construction moves along, the developer will be able to entice a four-star Hilton brand rather than the garden variety.

Crapage!, I'm out of the loop again.. I thought it was the Top of the line they were doing. Crap o la!

(thought I'd post this here as well)

I think Broad Street has come a long way in the past few years, but it obviously still has a long way to go. What do ya'll think is needed to propel Broad to the next level and beyond? I know, I know, we don't need another "white elephant," and I have hope we'll learn from past mistakes, so let's not make it one of those threads. But what else is needed? What roles should the city play? Should a "Kelo" style eminent domain effort be employed to open up property for redevelopment which is currently owned by slumlording squatters? Should the city simply encourage property owners to fix up and invest in their properties, and if so, how? What kind of mix (of uses) would make Broad most desirable? Should it be funky and eclectic or filled with chains or a mix of both? What will be the catalyst for its comeback?

Basically, I'm just trying to start a dialogue on what we want Broad Street to become and how we get there. Thoughts?

I like the cultural arts which will be a great asset. Major shopping should be the next infuence, since I think that brings people in and they see whats here in DT.

BUT before any of that the city has, has, has, to do something with parking. What that is I'm not sure, sorry to say.

So heres the 2 cents again, but with example.

We are at the Broad, Grace, Adams, Jefferson block. A large lot is on the back of our building, all parking managed by Standard parking.

the police headquarter faces grace and Jefferson, they have the Massive parking deck yet they use 30 spaces on the ground in the lot behind us ?????

We approached and started homework to see who owned the lots behind us, ahhh there are 12 different people. ( course during this discovery the TROLLY found out they had a piece and now no one can park there either :tough: ) So we tried to meet with the owners so that something in line of a deck may be discussed and good lord what a mess. Developers don't want to build a deck, supposedly you can't make money on them so no ones interested. ( this all started when we siffed out what the city got for thier piece of property monthly as we were looking at what we pay for parking for events)

So long story short, ALL of our clients complain about parking,,, constantly.. Daily. Decks, parking lots behind buildings or just general parking like what was done in Carytown would be great.

On the safety side... theres more light on the interstates than in down town... That would really help.

In addition, Ok so I know that the little red truck with busy workers are DT all the time. But am I the only one that is Gauled (sp) by the sidewalks and gutters that they are supposed to be keeping clean??? Is anyone else agrivated when you are walking DT and the guy witht he sucker vacumm comes speeding at you on the side walk and You need to move ?

out of thier way ( when the vacumm isnt down to work anyway..........

Sorry this turned to rant but I really do care what the city looks like and I enjoy the business and just want it to be better and better... J

Well, if Coupe can bring over from the other forum on this subject, so can I. :lol:

If the General Assembly approves TV Horse Racing machines at Colonial Downs and its sattelite betting parlors, I propose one be built downtown on the north side of Broad between 1st and 3rd. There are two OTB's in Richmond now and as far as I can determine they haven't caused any undue trouble.

The new (if approved) betting machines would look like ATM's and would be a form of slot machines, though much more circumspect.

One must pay to enter OTB's, and within them are bars, restaurants, wagering windows and (if approved) the new TV wagering machines.

I have been to the OTB on West Broad near Staples Mill and it most certainly was not inhabited by riff raff - quite the contrary. Mostly middle-aged to old wagerers just having fun and not losing tons of money. There's another OTB on Midlothian Tpk near Chippenham. Why shouldn't downtown share in this traffic?

jonbeattie, thanks for explaining those unsightly lots behind your building as well as others a block east.

I HATE unattended parking lots where you are expected to use some confusing paraphanalia to pay.

How many cars get booted every day?

I suppose the various owners, if it were possible for them to coalese, would not consider an attractive deck with arts related galleries, shops and retail as ground level tenants?

jonbeattie, thanks for explaining those unsightly lots behind your building as well as others a block east.

I HATE unattended parking lots where you are expected to use some confusing paraphanalia to pay.

How many cars get booted every day?

I suppose the various owners, if it were possible for them to coalese, would not consider an attractive deck with arts related galleries, shops and retail as ground level tenants?

Normally about 4 a day, unless we have a booking/ event , them there is a free for all because then the lot is not monitored. Thats unless guests park in the trolly's line which is marked but confusing. We do a dinner for Richmond discoveries and one of the Guides and speakers was booted as well as the tow truck was getting ready haul her away. At night it's difficult to see the outline of the trolly's parking slots.

On a brighter note, City parking has taken over the lot behind the Restaurant 27 and they also has reserved slots for the patrons and a NEW neon 27 logo sign installed. Business has been a bit brisk at late I'm noticed.

I'd love Broad Street to become a great shopping district with many, many non-chain restaurants a la 27, Cabo's Corner Bistro, and Tarrant's Cafe. Cleaning up the streets, so to speak, would have to be priority #1 because I won't be the first to say it, but walking on Broad Street east of Belvidere, especially closer to the north part, just doesn't feel safe.

Residential redevelopment is also a beginning step, but, like you said Burt, is something that presents a challenge that would probably have to be stimulated by the city authorities.

I still like chains... people in the east do not have any. They're all in the county... Henrico gets our business. But the key is to have one-of-a-kind places... which is one reason I hated Short Pump for all the new places that attract people from the entire region, not just from the 180 people who live out there. If they just had faith instead of throwing downtown away, imagine what Broad could look like.

I won't be the first to say it, but walking on Broad Street east of Belvidere, especially closer to the north part, just doesn't feel safe.

I 6totally disagree with this statement. This is a big part of the problem. I walked Broad at night the whole time I was in Richmond. No problem at all.

I won't be the first to say it, but walking on Broad Street east of Belvidere, especially closer to the north part, just doesn't feel safe.

I 6totally disagree with this statement. This is a big part of the problem. I walked Broad at night the whole time I was in Richmond. No problem at all.

And I agree with majors2410. When my wife and I went to Tarrant's a month or so ago, we parked two blocks away and I did not feel safe. Lighting was poor, people were loitering, and there was little pedestrian traffic. We live in the city and have both lived in the Fan and know what feels safe to us. My wife has been mugged in the Fan so she is particularly aware of what feels "safe" to her. However, we will continue to frequent this area of town as I feel it will turn around and it won't if people avoid it. My point is "safe" is a relative term and what feels safe to you may not to another. The area will truly thrive once everyone feels "safe", regardless of how they define the term.

• 2 weeks later...

No, and to me it's too early to say there's a real revival when there are blocks that have not left the 1960s ugly designs... the giant gates and all... Broad still looks like the ghetto.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived