Africa in April

mandrws1

While participating in the Africa in April festivities this year, I decided to take a few pictures and they turned out great so I decided to share them with my urban planet friends! I hope you enjoy....

59084654.IMG_0060.jpg

59080134.IMG_0089.jpg

59080133.IMG_0090.jpg

59080120.IMG_0105.jpg

59080121.IMG_0104.jpg

59080118.IMG_0107.jpg

59080132.IMG_0091.jpg

59080131.IMG_0092.jpg

59080130.IMG_0093.jpg

FedEx Forum literally touches Beale Street

59080122.IMG_0101.jpg

Peabody Place Tower

59080126.IMG_0095.jpg

Construction of the new Westin Hotel

59084631.IMG_0054.jpg

59084633.IMG_0055.jpg

59080123.IMG_0098.jpg59080124.IMG_0097.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!! I use to go to Africa in April when I was younger and had a blast every time. I love festivals, espeically cultural ones in an urban enviorment. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us. After next week, the mood of downtown will change to reflect Costa Rica for Memphis in May and the Highland area will be alive with its annual Greek festival. It would've been perfect if the grizz game was at home tonight. Nice to see the westin is coming along and whats going on with the 1st Tennesse Building? Did they take down that logo too? The UP bank sign makes that building look dead.

I have to say I love these pics. They are fantastic and IMO relay the feeling of the event for those of us who were not there and of the city in general.

I have a question about the event. This year was Sierra Leone correct? Was much of the vending and food related to that nation in particular, or was it mostly a diverse offering? How was the turnout?

I was happy to see the Westin construction pics too! Its great to see another structure going up in the CBD. Now if only we can get the Vue from being a hole in the ground.......

I have to say I love these pics. They are fantastic and IMO relay the feeling of the event for those of us who were not there and of the city in general.

I have a question about the event. This year was Sierra Leone correct? Was much of the vending and food related to that nation in particular, or was it mostly a diverse offering? How was the turnout?

I was happy to see the Westin construction pics too! Its great to see another structure going up in the CBD. Now if only we can get the Vue from being a hole in the ground.......

The turnout was GREAT! In the paper today, it stated that this was the most successful Africa in April with attendance expected to hit 60,000! The vending and food was pretty diverse, not Just from Sierra Leone.

Nice to see the westin is coming along and whats going on with the 1st Tennesse Building? Did they take down that logo too?

I know that they are just wrapping up a $25 million renovation, so I'm hoping that they put an even better sign up instead of just leaving it bare.

Wow thats a lot of people! I wouldn't have excpected 60,000!

One question, what the heck are they doing to the 1st tennessee building??? That would be cool if they were adding on 20 more floors to the top of it, making it the tallest building in Memphis. :w00t: Just a thought!

Wow thats a lot of people! I wouldn't have excpected 60,000!

One question, what the heck are they doing to the 1st tennessee building??? That would be cool if they were adding on 20 more floors to the top of it, making it the tallest building in Memphis. :w00t: Just a thought!

theyre renovating it so that it will be class A office space

Archived