Favorite Southern Coastal Cities

TBurban

Favorite Southern Coastal Cities  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Whats yours?

• Virginia Beach//Norfolk
    • Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk, Corolla, Nagshead, etc...)
    • Charleston
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Savannah
    • Daytona Beach
    • W. Palm Beach
    • Miami Beach
    • Mobile
    • Biloxi//Gulfport
    • Galveston
    • Padre Island//Corpus Christi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah. There are plenty of other coastal cities in the south that could compete with it in different categories, but I believe that its architecture, history, culture, and old world charm make it the winner

Charleston easily...TONS to see and do, one of the most urban downtown areas in the nation, growing at a healthy clip, diversified economy, great mix of educational institutions, wonderful cuisine, and abounding cultural opportunities. That and I'm biased to SC. ;)

Savannah or Norfolk would come in at a hearty 2nd.

Mobile-Gulf Shores. I like Gulf Shores so well that I have part ownership in a condo unit there.

Mobile has a very rich past (as do many of the South's older coastal cities), but also a bright future.

There's no telling what the skyline will look like in the future, as more towers and interesting structures are

added to the impressive RSA Battle House Tower.

One of my "honorable mentions" that is not on the list of choices is Destin-FWB.

HMMM.. Lets see here. As far as a quality of life.. I would HAVE to say Naples.Fl. It is the southernmost land locked city on the west coast of Florida. Even though Naples is starting to get a little crowded, It is still a wonderful city. Very clean, Tons of work, and a friendly "Laid back" mentality.

HERE ARE A FEW PHOTO LINKS OF NAPLES

http://floridasungroup.com/photos/naples/the-village-4.jpg

http://floridasungroup.com/photos/naples/the-village-1.jpg

http://www.condohotelcenter.com/images/naples-shopping.jpg

http://naples.condocompany.com/Naples/Cari...ers%20Bldgs.jpg

http://naplesdowntown.com/hs1-7.jpg

BUT, Since I am a history buff. I would have to say as far as a unique feel... For sure either Savannah,Ga or Charleston,Sc... VERY historic and interesting cities!.. And friendly as well of course!

Nice to see Hampton Roads represented twice on the list, VB/Norfolk and outer banks

Is the Outer Banks area technically part of the Hampton Roads metro area? I know that they are located in close proximity to each other and that the Hampton Roads metro area extends into Currituck County, NC, but I always thought both were distinct areas.

Is the Outer Banks area technically part of the Hampton Roads metro area? I know that they are located in close proximity to each other and that the Hampton Roads metro area extends into Currituck County, NC, but I always thought both were distinct areas.

The northernmost portion of the Banks (from about Duck north) is part of Currituck County. Dare County is not part of the HR MSA but it is in the HR TV market.

As usual, quite a few Gulf Coast, non-eastern side (GA, FL East Coast, SC, NC, VA, etc) of the South areas were overlooked. I've been to the Atlantic and the Gulf and there is simply no comparison. The stretch of beach from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City Beach, FL in particular and on to Naples and Marco Island in general is FAR prettier than any Atlantic side beach I've been to. Not even close really. Having said that, Amelia Island, FL, St. Simons, GA, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach, SC, and Virginia Beach, VA are really neat coastal cities.

I have to go with Destin/Sandestin/Seaside/Ft. Walton, Florida though. That place is awesome. Honorable mention to Orange Beach/Ono Island, AL.

Wilmington, which somehow isn't on the poll.

Sorry about all the cities I didnt list. I didnt want one state to have too many cities on here, thats why I tried to group some together. I realize I left cities like Wilmington, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, Deltona Beach, the Keys, Sanibel and Captiva Islands, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.....the list goes on. I just wanted to make it a broad topic. So if you dont see yours, feel free to bring it up :thumbsup: (and I dont mean that sarcasticly)

Archived