Apple Chill Marred By Shootings

dmccall

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is the police department going to put an end to the cruising that happens after 6pm every year after Apple Chill? It seems that EVERY SINGLE YEAR someone is shot or robbed on this night. It is extremely dangerous as people come from far and wide to show off their stuff. :angry:

Story at WRAL

The idea of canceling this is an absurd knee jerk reaction to a problem that could be solved just as stated above. The Apple Chill is a pleasant little festival. The After Chill is the problem. And the problem is only 0.1% of the people.

I agree that cruising probably causes the problems, why not keep the roads in this area closed or restricted late into the night?

This is called PC run amuck. Don't do anything about the Durham gang bangers rolling into town, let the shootings happen, then wonder why this happens. The bottom line is that the thugs should not be allowed to fill the streets after this event. It used to be a decent event-its time has passed as most people from Chapel Hill don't even go. I prefer Festifall myself.

Chapel Hill has decided to throw out the baby with the bath water:

N&O - Chapel Hill kills Apple Chill

With quotes like

She said she endured catcalls, and when she did not respond, "people said I was racist or they called me a cracker."

Franks also saw a woman displaying her breasts near Raleigh Street for men who snapped pictures and took video of her. Families walked nearby, she said.

there is justification to clamp down *after* the festival, not during it. What is the history of how After Chill came about and its violent recent history?

As a former volunteer, I know Artsplosure runs for two days with a smaller police presence (well fewer than 230 officers) and no history of violence. Are there any other factors that have lead to this difference?

Here's the note I sent to each CH town council member:

Well, now the Chapel Hill Town Council has done it. After more than a

decade of refusing to address the problem, the fear of being called

"unfair" and "close-minded" has punished the law-abiding citizens of

the area who made Apple Chill a great event.

Why didn't the town shut down a 10-block radius from the town center

at 6pm FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT? What will the town do when these

bands of thugs come from far and wide after FestiFall, instead? What

will the town do if those thugs decide that After Chill will still go

on...on the last Sunday in April? How will the town handle the growing

danger of widespread violence on Halloween night?

When will the Town of Chapel Hill quit worrying about hurting bad

people's feelings and get control of those ruining the general

welfare?

Chapel Hill - 0, Thugs - 1

:rofl:

Seriously though, just close the damn streets...how complicated can that be to do or beef up patrol. If cops can contain crowds at Mardi Gras in New Orleans(granted they have years of experience), surely they can strong arm Apple Chill disorderlies. As was stated 99.99% of the people at After Chill are not there to be disruptive.

And why do they have to be "Durham" gang bangers, aren't we being a tad stereotypical. If that be the case, maybe they should hire some Durham cops.

its simple...they could treat the Apple Chill like Myrtle Beach on the main strip. Just start arresting everyone acting disorderly left and right and throw them in a van. Once people realize they can't act foolish they'll stop.

The fact is that the 2 people shot were Durham gang members who happen to be out on bail for charges including murder and attempted murder. Why the hell were they even out on bail? These were murder charges.

gotta love Durham gangbangers and the people that actually bail them out. where does that $ come from. i find the whole thing kind of amusing except for the fact that what use to be a really cool festival just got x'd because of the delinquents.

chapel hill has no idea how to control a problem, their attempt to help was get every officer that the city has for patrol during the fair. Then after the fair, cut half the cops. Poor planning, execution, and response to the problem.

Chapel Hill, you get an F

gotta love Durham gangbangers and the people that actually bail them out. where does that $ come from.

My most logical guess is that the gangs these guys roll with aren't exactly strapped for cash...otherwise they wouldn't be in a gang. Drug money?

It's not likely many people pay in cash - think of all the BAIL BONDS signs you see near the Durham Judicial Building. Along with the criminal defense lawyers, they've got an industry in that neighborhood.

Archived