New Streetcar color?

NCB

Ok, so I'm walking down the riverfront today, and I hear the streetcar rolling down the tracks, so I turn around with my camera expecting to see the green Saint Charles Ave. line streetcar, but instead I see something completely different. A blue and yellow streetcar! :blink: I'm pretty sure it's really just a Saint Charles Ave. streetcar painted blue and yellow, but I thought it was pretty cool. I had heard nothing about it, and I don't know if they did it just for the French Quarter Fest, but if anyone has any info about it I'd love to hear it.

Here are some pictures of it..

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's different... but I like it! It makes me think of the hot girl at the gym the other day with the skimpy yellow shorts and blue shirt. Oops, sorry... went off on a tangent there! :blush:

Anyway, I like it... I think it looks cool. But to do that just for the French Quarter Fest would be an awfully expensive thing to do just temporarily.

Wow, that's different... but I like it! It makes me think of the hot girl at the gym the other day with the skimpy yellow shorts and blue shirt. Oops, sorry... went off on a tangent there! :blush:

Anyway, I like it... I think it looks cool. But to do that just for the French Quarter Fest would be an awfully expensive thing to do just temporarily.

Hey now, aren't you married! ;)

I was thinking the same thing about it being overly expensive to do that just for a 3 day event, but I wasn't sure. I hope they keep it, and maybe add some other blue and yellow cars, because I think it looks cool too. I like the colors, they really stand out from a distance.

Hey now, aren't you married! ;)

Yes, I'm married, but I'm not dead. I can look and not touch... as long as I'm a man I'm gonna notice things.

I was thinking the same thing about it being overly expensive to do that just for a 3 day event, but I wasn't sure. I hope they keep it, and maybe add some other blue and yellow cars, because I think it looks cool too. I like the colors, they really stand out from a distance.

Yeah there's something distinctly different about it, but I just really like it. It's so non-traditional and I guess that's why it's so appealing to me.

Certainly different and non-traditional...I have no problems with it, as long as the ones that roll on St. Charles Ave., keep the traditional colors, which I'm sure they will. By the way, work is progressing along nicely, now on the entire St. Charles line, all the way to the end of the line at Carrollton and Claiborne.

I saw those at the Fest today too. It freaked me out at first...and I thought I should have maybe slowed down on the alcohol a bit...but then I realized I wasn't drunk...the dang thing was blue and yellow. I don't think it looked bad...but it will take some time to get used to. I like it...but am not enamored with it yet.

I was under the impression that the street cars were somehow historically designated, which would prevent painting them in such a color?

I think a bright blue and yellow street car rolling down St. Charles would be horrible. Downtown or along the riverfront it's kind of cool, though I like the bright red ones better.

I think a bright blue and yellow street car rolling down St. Charles would be horrible. Downtown or along the riverfront it's kind of cool, though I like the bright red ones better.

Yea I would hate to see these thing's roll down Saint Charles, but I think it would look pretty cool on the riverfront or even on Canal.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not a St. Charles Streetcar. They're not allowed to be painted any other color than what they are. I know for a fact it's not one from the St. C. line because of the ADA doors on the side. As for the color, do a Perley A. Thomas streetcar search for other cities that use the old cars. My best guess is that the blue cars are on loan from another city.

I could be wrong about it coming from another it. It could be a retro-fit of an old car from the Riverfront line. I see that the trucks are the same size as the St. C. line. The Canal line has much larger trucks. Another possibility could be that the RTA has decided to distiguish the different lines by different car colors.

I personally like the red ladies of Canal. At first I wasn't happy about any color other than green, but the way they stood out among the buildings and greenery of Canal St. made me fall in love.

Don't hide it, let it all out. These N.O. women will do it to you :thumbsup: Back to the topic, those streetcars look pretty nice. St. Charles streetcars should keep their natural color. It just wouldn't look right for a blue & yellow streetcar to go through Uptown.

It just wouldn't look right for a blue & yellow streetcar to go through Uptown.

Oh no, it would look very weird, especially to a New Orleanian. Though I actually like this blue and yellow streetcar on the Riverfront Line. Once you get over the initial shock of seeing a completely new colored streetcar, it looks pretty cool IMO.

Ok, so I'm walking down the riverfront today, and I hear the streetcar rolling down the tracks, so I turn around with my camera expecting to see the green Saint Charles Ave. line streetcar, but instead I see something completely different. A blue and yellow streetcar! :blink: I'm pretty sure it's really just a Saint Charles Ave. streetcar painted blue and yellow, but I thought it was pretty cool. I had heard nothing about it, and I don't know if they did it just for the French Quarter Fest, but if anyone has any info about it I'd love to hear it.

IMG_2463.jpg

looks like a tropical version of some M-town trolleys:

trolley27.jpg

trollay.jpg

Yea, it just takes time for me to get used to.

It's like that with alot of things in a city like New Orleans, where locals are used to, and for the most part, support most things not changing. A few months from now, that blue streetcar will be a part of New Orleans just as much as the other streetcars for me.

LOL, nice one there Nate. Throw some Mardi Gras colors on the next camo.

Haha, I sure will. I also want to create a custom color for a streetcar. Extract the color from the sreetcar, and start from scratch. Who knows what I'll come up with! :D

You need to market your designs, make some money off that. Who knows, one of your streetcar designs could actually be the next N.O. streetcar.

Haha, man that would be pretty cool. Pre-Katrina I would've told you that there was more of a chance that the Saints would win 10 Super Bowls in a row than seeing a blue and white camoflauge streetcar rolling down the street, but post-Katrina, who knows! :wacko:

Archived