Is metro Atlanta a good tourist destination?

Rwarky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not extremely familiar with the city, and every trip to Atlanta has revolved around going to Six Flags and/or the Water Park, but theres a few other attractions I've enjoyed... Six Flags is a good amusement park to spend a whole day in... there's also CNN and Coca-Cola tours.. I really enjoyed a museum there as a kid (Fernbanks? or something like that?).. And another solid point about Atlanta is that it's a short drive from the mountains and Chattanooga, which has some interesting natural attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the statistics, it is fast becomming one of the top tourist cities in the US. They claim that an ever increasing number are coming in from other nations for vacations. I've noticed that they now have guides in all sorts of languages. The British website Kasbah has a lot of nice things to say about it, and describes it as one of the nation's fastest growing tourist destinations. I've read that Gone With the Wind is almost a required book for young Japanese girls, and that most Japanese know about the story and love Scarlett O Hara/ Rhett Butler look alikes dressed up. There is plenty of culture and history and things to do in any sized town if you just look. I never realized how much my little town back in Virginia offered until I moved away. A city Atlanta's size surely could occupy one for many days if you wanted to see it.

Back in 1997 a New York website said this: Now that Atlanta has awakened from her Olympic dream, the fair southern city returns to what she does best, Big Business.

I think the city has it's future "image" down pat, as the fair southern city with the cosmopolitan feel with booming immigrantion and culture while maintaining southern ties. I also find it incredible that Atlanta has perhaps the third largest homosexual community in the nation, and the third largest parade. I would not feel comfortable at such a parade, but it's still amazing that it is happening in the heart of the deep south.

For those looking for a few days (you know, maybe spend three or four days here) to get away and visit somewhere, then I would say Atlanta's a good place to go. I don't know if those looking to spend a few weeks here would find enough to do unless they REALLY knew the area well, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I could probably do a week on vacation in Atlanta if I timed it right (with concerts or shows, etc). I don't perceive there to be alot of tourist type things to do that would take more than a few days... unless shopping is your thing.

According to the statistics, it is fast becomming one of the top tourist cities in the US. They claim that an ever increasing number are coming in from other nations for vacations. I've noticed that they now have guides in all sorts of languages. The British website Kasbah has a lot of nice things to say about it, and describes it as one of the nation's fastest growing tourist destinations. I've read that Gone With the Wind is almost a required book for young Japanese girls, and that most Japanese know about the story and love Scarlett O Hara/ Rhett Butler look alikes dressed up. There is plenty of culture and history and things to do in any sized town if you just look. I never realized how much my little town back in Virginia offered until I moved away. A city Atlanta's size surely could occupy one for many days if you wanted to see it.

Back in 1997 a New York website said this: Now that Atlanta has awakened from her Olympic dream, the fair southern city returns to what she does best, Big Business.

I think the city has it's future "image" down pat, as the fair southern city with the cosmopolitan feel with booming immigrantion and culture while maintaining southern ties. I also find it incredible that Atlanta has perhaps the third largest homosexual community in the nation, and the third largest parade. I would not feel comfortable at such a parade, but it's still amazing that it is happening in the heart of the deep south.

Maybe you should join in on our parade this year. I've lived in Atlanta now for 7 years and feel completely comfortable being open about who I am, parade or no parade. I think you'd be surprised.

i lived in atl a few years back and did all the touristy things while i lived there. i wouldn't really call atl a "tourist" destination. georgia's tourist hotspot has always been and will be savannah imo. one can find big citie jungles full of concrete glass and steel everywhere. however savannah is quite a rare exception to the cookie cutter cities of america. don't get me wrong i'm not dissing atl but i think it's more of a business destination as someone posted before.

• 1 month later...

So Savannah has one big festival a year, and a pretty historic downtown and riverfront. But sorry, that doesnt make Savannah THE tourist city of GA. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world, so just from that piece of information, I would say that Atlanta has more tourists whether its business, pleasure, or just passing through. In the 90's (I dont know what it is now), Stone Mountain was the third most visited attraction in America, just behind Disney World and Disney Land.

Actually, I think one could argue that what you listed about Savannah does indeed make it THE tourist city of Georgia. Those same reasons hold true for Charleston (not sure about the big festival part though), and it is one of the most popular tourist destinations in North America.

True, Hartsfield-Jackson is the busiest airport in the world, but I think that's because of a great deal of connector flights. In terms of final destinations, I think that honor belongs to LAX.

Im not dissing Savannah, I love it aside from their uncontrollable crime. Im just saying that when there is a city like Atlanta with over 5million people in the same state as Savannah, its pretty bold to just say Savannah is THE tourist destination. It doesnt even have a themepark or major sports venue.

Maybe you should join in on our parade this year. I've lived in Atlanta now for 7 years and feel completely comfortable being open about who I am, parade or no parade. I think you'd be surprised.

Well SURPRISE... YOUR parade IS MY parade! Except that the BAD things associated with pride parades RUINS it for me. Too much in your face debauchery. I hate them, and have no intention of going. I don't need them to feel accepted. And I don't like aggressive, show-offy type people-I am more of a loner. Thanks for the invite, anyway.

Wow, I havent read the word debauchery since probably my early years in pentecostal sunday school. The parades do have quite distatefully-clad people on the streets watching, but that doesnt stop me from going. Statesboro's major parade right before the annual fair opens has some grotesque aspects of it too, like that year I was sitting down on the grass in front of the sidewalk when the Southeast Bulloch High School cheerleaders walked by and one girl stood up on a guys shoulder as they walk by where I was and she wasnt wearing any underwear and I saw "female" stubble. So as far as Im concerned, Atlanta PRIDE parade isnt any worse, youre going to see pubic hair at any parade you go to.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I havent read the word debauchery since probably my early years in pentecostal sunday school. The parades do have quite distatefully-clad people on the streets watching, but that doesnt stop me from going. Statesboro's major parade right before the annual fair opens has some grotesque aspects of it too, like that year I was sitting down on the grass in front of the sidewalk when the Southeast Bulloch High School cheerleaders walked by and one girl stood up on a guys shoulder as they walk by where I was and she wasnt wearing any underwear and I saw "female" stubble. So as far as Im concerned, Atlanta PRIDE parade isnt any worse, youre going to see pubic hair at any parade you go to.

Well, I'm glad that you like them, but I do not. I didn't say others couldn't go, nor did I say that all such things were always bad things. However, it's not my style to be around aggressive people flaunting thier lower moral standards. Western civilization is going downhill fast in my opinion, and I don't think there is any way to stop it because people as a whole seem to be growing more and more amoral since the 1960's demolished *gasp* social norms and unity and cohesiveness and instead asserted the primacy of the individual. Some swear it was a good thing, but I am not so sure. I must ask: yes, we as individuals may be more free, but at what cost? As our society becomes more and more debased and decadent, do we still owe it the effort of working to make it a good place? Do we still owe it loyalty if it disgusts us? What are the consequences of too much "debauchery?" Don't other people with more conservative values matter? Don't they deserve an alternative? I think so. I can never accept everything that others claim, I must always think deeper.

PS I am not making a religious argument, as I am agnostic. I am not saying I want a moral police, but I am not a secular extremist. I do not want, nor do I think it is necessary, to demolish every last vestige of American society's historic values.

True, Hartsfield-Jackson is the busiest airport in the world, but I think that's because of a great deal of connector flights. In terms of final destinations, I think that honor belongs to LAX.

Always somebody has to try to take away or lessen Atlanta's accomplishments. Atlanta has the busiest (and the largest) airport terminal in the world, not Los Angeles. And it is true that it has historically been because of mostly connecting flights, but that is irrelevant. All airports serve different purposes, and some are bigger with connections than others, and some are bigger as destination's than others. However, in recent years, the ATL airport has experience very rapid growth as a destination portal, so that argument is becomming archaic.

Always somebody has to try to take away or lessen Atlanta's accomplishments. Atlanta has the busiest (and the largest) airport terminal in the world, not Los Angeles. And it is true that it has historically been because of mostly connecting flights, but that is irrelevant. All airports serve different purposes, and some are bigger with connections than others, and some are bigger as destination's than others. However, in recent years, the ATL airport has experience very rapid growth as a destination portal, so that argument is becomming archaic.

Did you take the time to read the post that preceeded mine so that you could interpret my statement in context? The key statement said, "Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world, so just from that piece of information, I would say that Atlanta has more tourists whether its business, pleasure, or just passing through."

Now can you see how my statement was actually relevant to the TOPIC of the thread and not an attempt to "take away or lessen Atlanta's accomplishments"?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he was de-railing Atlanta. It is true that 57% of Atlanta's passengers are leaving elsewhere.

If your argument is that Atlanta's number of flights is indicative of Altanta's booming tourism industry then I would say that whether or not the majority of those people are actually staying in Atlanta or moving on to another city is very relevant to the conversation.

I think that Atlanta is a great destination for anyone to visit especially for African American's because of the Martin Luther King Center. Other attractions Centenial Olympic Park, Underground Atlanta, Zoo Atlanta, Georgia Aquarium, Peidmont Park, Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Fox Theater, Atlantic Station, CNN Center, (under construction) the new World Of Coke, Georgia Dome, Phillips Arena, Turner Feild (Home of the Atlanta Braves), Woodruff Arts Center, Fernbank Museum, High Museum, Jimmy Carter Presidential Center, Cyclorama, just to name a few. Atlanta has alot of attractions for it's visitors and it was just recently annonced that Atlanta will start issuing a CITY PASS just like they have in Boston, NY, Philly, D.C. and other big cities where tourists can recieve a discount on the major attractions.

Archived