Is metro Atlanta a good tourist destination?

Rwarky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about the prices of these attractions, but i know that Atlanta plays host city to numerous events and major conventions every year that draws in millions of visitors. Visit the website Access Atlanta.com or Atlanta travel portal and you will fing all of this info their.

• 3 weeks later...

There are loads of things for people to do while on vacation in Atlanta. I work downtown and I see throngs of people every day at lunch streaming in and out of the hotels, in restaurants, on the sidewalks asking for directions who are here on vacation. LOTS of foreigners. Everybody has heard of Atlanta thanks to Gone With The Wind.

I was out at Stone Mountain several months ago for a company picknic. We took the tram up to the top of the mountain and there was a large group of Japanese tourists on with us. I was asking one man how he was enjoying his visit to Atlanta and the whole group got these huge grins on their faces and in as a group started singing Atlanta's praises. One of the Japanese men was talking to another American lady about how wonderful Stone Mountain was. He said they had just returned from Australia a couple of months prior and they visited Ayres Rock and he said "Stone Mountain MUCH MUCH nicer"!

Anyone who can't find things to keep them entertained in and around Atlanta for a week long vacation just isn't trying.

Personally, I love Atlanta. I have family down there. The only reason I don't go down there as much as I want to is because of the traffic. It's the same with Birmingham. I don't dare go to either cities unless there is an absolute need.

Like I said, Atlanta has some great attractions, they just aren't very accessible.

My opinion is that the mojority of 'tourists' in Atlanta, are really locals or out-of-town family. I grew up there, and enjoy six flags, stone mountain, underground atlanta, coca-cola, and more. But I don't know if that's enough to make me want to go out of my way to visit.

Same thing with Charlotte. There are some nice things there, but not enough to go out of the way.

My opinion is that the mojority of 'tourists' in Atlanta, are really locals or out-of-town family. I grew up there, and enjoy six flags, stone mountain, underground atlanta, coca-cola, and more. But I don't know if that's enough to make me want to go out of my way to visit.

Same thing with Charlotte. There are some nice things there, but not enough to go out of the way.

There is a big convention business. I went to one this summer that drew 35,000 and basically pushed the airport's capacity (the cab wait was an hour and the line went for several blocks) and booked up hotels in surrounding counties. Atlanta, Chicago, and Orlando are the three premiere convention cities right now.

Archived