East Orlando wanting to incorporate?!?!?!

bsutter2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we didn't have any unincorporated areas. Being from the north it's a concept I'll never understand.

Are you trying to say that there is somewhere up north that has an entire state without a single acre incorporated into a town or city?

You may find the occasional metro area with it's entirety incorporated, but I would say that it is a minority.

Are you trying to say that there is somewhere up north that has an entire state without a single acre incorporated into a town or city?

I've been in states where towns and townships fill up a county like counties in Florida fill up the state. Without gaps. That doesn't mean its all under development. They zone to protect the rural areas. That's what's so backassward in Orange County. Our alignment of governments cause competition between the town and unincorporataed county to see who can develop the fastest and nothing gets protected.

^^ Definitely - I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite topic. Cook County, IL is very much like what you pointed out, without gaps. There is obviously Chicago, and then there are over over 120 individual municipalities, each with their own fire and police protection, own library systems, school systems (at the township level), etc. The county does not play a part in running or overseeing these systems, and in my opinion, should not. Municipalities are responsible for their own development and ammentites, and do a better job at providing them than a county ever could. The county runs the courts and operates property assessment and the forest preserve district... that's pretty much it. To the typical resident, the county is invisible. The county and municipalities functions do not overlap, whereas in Florida they do - causing ridiculous competition and a lack of continuity.

I like to point out the Orange County Fire/Rescue consolidation idea to support the importance of municipality serving localized functions - the City of Orlando Fire Department has an ISO rating of 2. Less than 4% of FD's nationwide receive a rating higher than a 3 (1 being the best, 10 not meeting minimum criteria). Orange County Fire/Rescue ISO rating is 4/9. The 4 is for properties with in 5 miles of a fire station, which is an adequate score, but not spectacular. The 9 is for property greater than 5 miles from a station, and barely meets minimum requirements. (my apologies to firemick - i think you were with Orange County Resuce)

I think stories like this one are interesting because it seems to indicate that maybe, just maybe, people are starting to learn that sprawl ain't all that great.

People move to suburbia b/c they believe it will be better than city life. Yet, as this case illustrates, they find that there are certain things that only urban areas can provide.

And, I think this case also shows that wildly out-of-control, low-density suburban growth can't sustain itself. It's refreshing to see a 'burb like Altamonte Springs strive for denser projects. I wish other cities, like Maitland and Casselberry would get on board that train, too.

Anyway, just a thought. Or two.

PS - Has this group considered being annexed by Orlando? Or are they too far out?

Archived