Metro considering easing height restrictions

smeagolsfree

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good start in the right direction. If Metro could FINALLY!!!!! get the height restrictions more flexible or eliminated all together for developers downtown. We could soon see a lot more taller buildings being developed. Over 30 stories I hope. :rolleyes:

HUM.....could someone describe to me how a building over 15 floors is more urbane than one 15 floors or less? What is the issue with tall buildings? They are not needed...15 floors or higher...in order to achieve density. In addition, I would like for someone to point to the sustainability issues associated with tall buildings. Perhaps a list of buildings over 15 floors that are LEED certified. Are tall buildings a smart choice for a world that is having problems meeting energy demands?

Does TALL mean.....a city is growing?.....are they a show of economic power?......dominance?.....a quest to be Atlanta?

Speaking of which....Atlanta is a city that is littered with more buildings over 15 floors than many of its size in the world. Would we say that Atlanta is an example to follow? Has the density gained from these tall structures provided an urban scene that is the envy of the sunbelt? In that same vain we could ask the same question of Dallas.....Houston...and so on.

So....how is Nashville going to be different? How are they going to rise to the sky while ensuring such a human scale of development at the street level that they will be view as a model for growth?

We need to look no further than Copenhagen to see an wonderful city...urban...active....alive...with one building over 15 floors. Can we learn from others....the past.....?

An article in the NBJ today may allow developers to get height restrictions eased. It would make the process a lot easier to get a variance.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../24/story7.html

[/quote

Why would you want to make it easier to get a variance? If I recall correctly, zoning in the core of downtown does not have a height restriction. Are you saying that this concept should be expanded? Should height be something that is set by districts....gateway...downtown...leftbank...East...and so on?

How high is good? Is infill of most vacant lots more important?....or just a few buildings that shoot to the sky?

An article in the NBJ today may allow developers to get height restrictions eased. It would make the process a lot easier to get a variance.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../24/story7.html

As we think about tall buildings, it might be a good idea to do some reading. For my part, I will provide a link to a really good article on tall buildings....

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/speeches/a...e_11122001.html

The article states that there will still be reviews and approvals required but the developer will not have to prove a hardship in order to even apply for the variance.

I like Copenhagen and Atlanta for different reasons and I agree that we can learn from both. I am not saying that every building built in SoBro needs to be over 15 levels a mix is nice. Some 25 some 15 some 5

It's a good start in the right direction. If Metro could FINALLY!!!!! get the height restrictions more flexible or eliminated all together for developers downtown. We could soon see a lot more taller buildings being developed. Over 30 stories I hope. :rolleyes:

I agree with you and nb, chris. :thumbsup: I'd like to see a mix of everything.

For those of you that have trouble with the concept of skyscrapers (buildings over 15 stories high), I have news. Many people, I for one included, LOVE skyscrapers. That's why I was attracted to this website and others that are devoted to skyscrapers. The view of a skyscraper lifts my spirits and excites me in a way that is difficult to describe. I am sure this is why skycrapers abound in many cities. This is a worldwide phenomenom, this love of skyscrapers. Look at what is happening in Dubai. Would this not be taking place unless many in that area love skyscrapers too? Many, many people share this with great passion. It is because of this that skyscrapers should not ever be banned from being built in cities. It would be tantamount to a crime IMO. It would be like stealing away a piece of the human spirit for many of us.

For those of you that have trouble with the concept of skyscrapers (buildings over 15 stories high), I have news. Many people, I for one included, LOVE skyscrapers. That's why I was attracted to this website and others that are devoted to skyscrapers. The view of a skyscraper lifts my spirits and excites me in a way that is difficult to describe. I am sure this is why skycrapers abound in many cities. This is a worldwide phenomenom, this love of skyscrapers. Look at what is happening in Dubai. Would this not be taking place unless many in that area love skyscrapers too? Many, many people share this with great passion. It is because of this that skyscrapers should not ever be banned from being built in cities. It would be tantamount to a crime IMO. It would be like stealing away a piece of the human spirit for many of us.

I couldnt have said it better my self. Theres just something about a beautiful skyline view. I work in and around downtown all day and have for a few years and it never fails that the skyline catches my attetion.

Hush now, you're scaring the "shorties." :D

Right on Hankster! I'm mean, where would Superman be without tall buildings to leap in a single bound? It's not very super leaping over two story buildings now is it? :huh:

Right on Hankster! I'm mean, where would Superman be without tall buildings to leap in a single bound? It's not very super leaping over two story buildings now is it? :huh:

Well spoken, Supergeek. What size buildings do you prefer to bound over? Signature Tower sized, maybe? :lol:

For those of you that have trouble with the concept of skyscrapers (buildings over 15 stories high), I have news. Many people, I for one included, LOVE skyscrapers. That's why I was attracted to this website and others that are devoted to skyscrapers. The view of a skyscraper lifts my spirits and excites me in a way that is difficult to describe. I am sure this is why skyscrapers abound in many cities. This is a worldwide phenomenon, this love of skyscrapers. Look at what is happening in Dubai. Would this not be taking place unless many in that area love skyscrapers too? Many, many people share this with great passion. It is because of this that skyscrapers should not ever be banned from being built in cities. It would be tantamount to a crime IMO. It would be like stealing away a piece of the human spirit for many of us.

I feel the same way. There is something great about tall buildings. In a way they do show a since of power when they are built at amazing heights. There is an indescribable feeling of amazement I get when I drive into a big city with skyscrapers built very tall everywhere. That's why I'm glad Metro is easing height restrictions for our city.

Plus it only makes since to go higher. If the demand is there you can put more people in a 35 story city block size building than in a 15 story building. And where are people getting the notion, (That a building's height it self, affects the street level activity)? :huh:?

Look at New York City for an example. There are hundreds of city blocks with towers over 40+ stories up and down Manhattan,and the city has the biggest street activity in the world.

I feel like the height of a building has nothing to do with disrupting the streets activity but helps it, The taller the building is, The more people that can fit in one area the better, Density, Density!!!!! :D

I feel the same way. There is something great about tall buildings. In a way they do show a since of power when they are built at amazing heights. There is an indescribable feeling of amazement I get when I drive into a big city with skyscrapers built very tall everywhere. That's why I'm glad Metro is easing height restrictions for our city.

Plus it only makes since to go higher. If the demand is there you can put more people in a 35 story city block size building than in a 15 story building. And where are people getting the notion, (That a building's height it self, affects the street level activity)? :huh:?

Look at New York City for an example. There are hundreds of city blocks with towers over 40+ stories up and down Manhattan,and the city has the biggest street activity in the world.

I feel like the height of a building has nothing to do with disrupting the streets activity but helps it, The taller the building is, The more people that can fit in one area the better, Density, Density!!!!! :D

Again, I totally agree chris. I love the way skyscrapers draw your eye upward and if it happens to be 900' upward, even better. I really like how you and Hankster put it. There is a sense of wonder you get from tall buildings. Personally, I'm fascinated by their construction and the obstacles overcome in the process. While I find value in most forms of development for many different reasons, there is nothing like a skyscraper to peak my interest. However, variety is a good thing and I like low and mid rises too...after all, they make the skyscrapers look taller!

Again, I totally agree chris. I love the way skyscrapers draw your eye upward and if it happens to be 900' upward, even better. I really like how you and Hankster put it. There is a sense of wonder you get from tall buildings. Personally, I'm fascinated by their construction and the obstacles overcome in the process. While I find value in most forms of development for many different reasons, there is nothing like a skyscraper to peak my interest. However, variety is a good thing and I like low and mid rises too...after all, they make the skyscrapers look taller!

Your right , I like variety as well. I'm glad to see all of these elements of different heights are being developed in our city.

HUM.....could someone describe to me how a building over 15 floors is more urbane than one 15 floors or less? What is the issue with tall buildings? They are not needed...15 floors or higher...in order to achieve density. In addition, I would like for someone to point to the sustainability issues associated with tall buildings. Perhaps a list of buildings over 15 floors that are LEED certified. Are tall buildings a smart choice for a world that is having problems meeting energy demands?

Does TALL mean.....a city is growing?.....are they a show of economic power?......dominance?.....a quest to be Atlanta?

Speaking of which....Atlanta is a city that is littered with more buildings over 15 floors than many of its size in the world. Would we say that Atlanta is an example to follow? Has the density gained from these tall structures provided an urban scene that is the envy of the sunbelt? In that same vain we could ask the same question of Dallas.....Houston...and so on.

So....how is Nashville going to be different? How are they going to rise to the sky while ensuring such a human scale of development at the street level that they will be view as a model for growth?

We need to look no further than Copenhagen to see an wonderful city...urban...active....alive...with one building over 15 floors. Can we learn from others....the past.....?

You must be one of those who believe that size does not matter.

See I think it's important that we do start building tall buildings now. I know, we need to fill in the empty spaces, but if we do that with a bunch of low rises in five years, then what? We'll have completely filled in downtown, but we'll have no room to build more and we will either have to demolish the old buildings we want to keep, or extend out of downtown, thus losing the density we could have had. That's why I think that building highrises is definately something we should start doing now, not in ten years when there are only two lots left in downtown and SoBro, but we need twenty lots to build all the projects we want. So I say BUILD TALL!

Or how about this concept: lots more suited for tall towers, should get them. Lots NOT suited for tall towers get low/mid-rise. In other words, designate the best use for resource at hand. Think and plan for tomorrow, not today.

Density vs. altitude is the great debate here, but it would be a great loss to the city of Nashville if a new 3 story bldg is built on Church St.

Or how about this concept: lots more suited for tall towers, should get them. Lots NOT suited for tall towers get low/mid-rise. In other words, designate the best use for resource at hand. Think and plan for tomorrow, not today.

Density vs. altitude is the great debate here, but it would be a great loss to the city of Nashville if a new 3 story bldg is built on Church St.

Makes sense to me. Buildings on larger lots that can be tall can be required to have setbacks so that they are street friendly.

Makes sense to me. Buildings on larger lots that can be tall can be required to have setbacks so that they are street friendly.

Imagine the design of the Bellsouth Tower if these standards were in place back then? Interesting, eh?

Archived