Artisphere

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, they're not permanent. The street painters, such as Tracy Lee Stum, used oil-based chalks, so those works of art are pretty durable and even resilient to an extent. However, they'll not last forever. :cry:

Thanks. I had hopes it would be "forever". Currently at 5 months though, and very little wear, they should last a good year or more I would think.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a cover story in this week's Greenville Journal about Greenville's arts scene. It obviously mentions Artisphere, and how in a few short years it has really increased its prestige and the number of people it draws. It is almost becoming a regional event, rather than one local to the Upstate. I love it!!

The article also mentions how Greenville wants to be more of an arts city like Asheville, Charleston, and Beaufort. It said that the support was not here 5-10 years ago, but that it is slowly getting there. Maybe it's just me, but Charleston doesn't seem like more of an arts city to me. They have the annual Spoleto Festival (which is probably why it is viewed as an "arts city") and a good selection of galleries. But their performing arts are not nearly what ours are, in scope or in quality. They also don't seem to have stuff like Shakespeare in the Park, Art Crossing, etc. But maybe I've just missed it.

As for Beaufort, I did not know it was such an arts haven (especially one we would like to emulate). I know that Asheville is known for its arts, but I thought that was mostly due to local mountain arts and crafts. That seems to be a different focus than what we're after.

I want us to carve our own niche in Greenville when it comes to art. We have great venues already, and attract some wonderful shows. We could do more to attract and promote the visual arts (the article mentioned this). But I don't want to try so hard to be more of an "arts city" that we lose sight of the bigger picture. What works for Asheville, Charleston, or Beaufort might not work for us.

At any rate, Artisphere is a wonderful step in the right direction and I am thrilled to see it take off like it has. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty much 100% a home body (or out of town) most of the time. Oddly, within my first 30 minutes at Artisphere today, I ran into 3 people that I knew, including our fellow UP'ers NYTransplant and Beowulf. I haven't seen either of these guys in a while...but was great to see them both today! The crowds were out en force today...and the weather was very pleasant most of the day, too. If any of my photos turned out, I'll maybe post them to flickr.

I'm pretty much 100% a home body (or out of town) most of the time. Oddly, within my first 30 minutes at Artisphere today, I ran into 3 people that I knew, including our fellow UP'ers NYTransplant and Beowulf. I haven't seen either of these guys in a while...but was great to see them both today! The crowds were out en force today...and the weather was very pleasant most of the day, too. If any of my photos turned out, I'll maybe post them to flickr.

Awesome that you ran into NYTransplant and Beowulf. Did you tell them to put an end to their absence here? :lol:

Awesome that you ran into NYTransplant and Beowulf. Did you tell them to put an end to their absence here? :lol:

Nah - didn't say any such thing to them. Spoke to Beowulf briefly and he suggested a "photographing the photographer" theme for the day and told me he'd be singing in the choral at the Dow Amphitheatre at 2:00pm (I didn't make it back over there by 2:00pm, unfortuantely). NYT pointed out some pencil sketching at a booth just a hundred yards or so from where we were chatting and said he had bought a few of the artists' works. I had to catch up to the wife and kids, but checked out the booth. That was about it...still, great to see some people I actually knew while mingling with thousands that I've never met.

Artisphere's attendance set a record for the festival, drawing 100,000 people, and apparently blowing away previous numbers. Artisphere will be back in 2009 for its 5th year. :D

Excellence attendance! :thumbsup: This event just keeps on growing. Anyone think they should expand to additional downtown areas and close off more streets during the event?

Excellence attendance! :thumbsup: This event just keeps on growing. Anyone think they should expand to additional downtown areas and close off more streets during the event?
They could start by providing a covered dining area so guests won't have to bring a towel to sit on wet chairs. They should definitely expand the amount of performers and artists to include many additional forms of art. This festival could easily be one of the top 5 in the southeast region if it is expanded and improved. Downtown Greenville is a perfect venue for the best outdoor festivals.

I was thinking that as I was walking around on Sunday, myself. The festival could easily be extended North to Washington Street. I'd ideally prefer to see it extended on down toward Fluor Field, but that'd mean crossing River/Augusta, and that's not an artery that could really be closed off without disrupting too much traffic flow during such an event...so North to Washington would be more practical.

I agree with Skyliner that some covered dining area would be great...it was quasi-covered this year with yellow and red fabric...that was nice, but it does nothing to keep out the rain. I'd almost suggest using the Wyche Pavilion if it wasn't for the fact that it makes a perfect Kidsphere location.

While on the subject of festival food/dining, I'd like to see the food vendors put right in the middle of the layout with artists exhibits/tents flanking the food, instead of having the food all the way at one extreme end.

• 1 month later...

I don't remember if this comment on Artisphere has been posted before.

http://www.parkerparker.info/studio/blog/?p=67

One of the participants in this year's event was positively gushing about almost everything about Artisphere and Greenville.

"A few days of rest, and I was back on the road, on the way to Greenville, South Carolina, for Artisphere. I can't say enough good things about this show. It is extremely well run, the organizers are actually organized, the patrons are knowlegable, the set-up and load-out are pain-free, there's free food (not just coffee and snacks, but three full squares, every day!), a VIP party BEFORE setup day which I think is second to none, and cheap electricity for those who needed it. The show is set on Main Street, next to beautifully restored Falls Park on the Reedy. Street performers, musicians and others strolled the streets providing low key entertainment, and two entertainment stages provided a good musical backdrop."

"All things considered, this is one of the top shows in the country. The quality of the work is very high. There are only 100 artists juried in, and this makes for a very nice, intimate exhibit, easy for patrons to navigate."

His only complaint was that it will be harder to get chosen to exhibit next year and he might not be picked.

One of the participants in this year's event was positively gushing about almost everything about Artisphere and Greenville.

"A few days of rest, and I was back on the road, on the way to Greenville, South Carolina, for Artisphere. I can't say enough good things about this show. It is extremely well run, the organizers are actually organized, the patrons are knowlegable, the set-up and load-out are pain-free, there's free food (not just coffee and snacks, but three full squares, every day!), a VIP party BEFORE setup day which I think is second to none, and cheap electricity for those who needed it. The show is set on Main Street, next to beautifully restored Falls Park on the Reedy. Street performers, musicians and others strolled the streets providing low key entertainment, and two entertainment stages provided a good musical backdrop."

"All things considered, this is one of the top shows in the country. The quality of the work is very high. There are only 100 artists juried in, and this makes for a very nice, intimate exhibit, easy for patrons to navigate."

His only complaint was that it will be harder to get chosen to exhibit next year and he might not be picked.

This is great! Thanks so much for posting it. :)

Excellent! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Artisphere 2009 will be moving back by three weeks. Instead of the third weekend of April, Artisphere will now be the second weekend of May. Local officials think the weather will be more cooperative. Even with this past years bad weather, more than 100,000 came downtown to Artisphere. :thumbsup:

Article from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....311/1001/NEWS01

• 8 months later...

Archived