Artisphere

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to mention that the free bike valet will be located on Camperdown Way, near the entrance to Hampton Inn on May 9th and 10th. Each bike will receive a raffle ticket for the drawing to be held on May 27th. Prizes have been donated by local cycle shops. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that the free bike valet will be located on Camperdown Way, near the entrance to Hampton Inn on May 9th and 10th. Each bike will receive a raffle ticket for the drawing to be held on May 27th. Prizes have been donated by local cycle shops. :)

I'll second what Galley said. We really do have some great prizes so ride on down and take advantage of the free bike valet.

I will be there for the 6:30 to 8:30 pm shift on Saturday night, so stop by and say hi if you are at Artisphere.

Was the bike valet received well? I walked by about 4:30 on Saturday afternoon and looked like there were 5 or so bikes valet parked. Such a great idea. Hope it was successful. :thumbsup:

Was the bike valet received well? I walked by about 4:30 on Saturday afternoon and looked like there were 5 or so bikes valet parked. Such a great idea. Hope it was successful. :thumbsup:

The total number of bikes parked at the valet for Artisphere was 35... not too bad for the first year. Quite a few people mentioned that they wished they had known about it, so hopefully we will have more participants next year. I was encouraged that a number of people came up to the tent to ask questions about Bikeville during my time slot. I think it will continue to grow.

...and don't forget to check the schedule for more bike month events in Greenville:

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/publicworks/BikeMonth.aspx

The total number of bikes parked at the valet for Artisphere was 35... not too bad for the first year. Quite a few people mentioned that they wished they had known about it, so hopefully we will have more participants next year. I was encouraged that a number of people came up to the tent to ask questions about Bikeville during my time slot. I think it will continue to grow.

...and don't forget to check the schedule for more bike month events in Greenville:

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/publicworks/BikeMonth.aspx

Excellent! :thumbsup:

I was pretty happy with the turnout. I was there a total of nine hours. Things we may offer in the future are topping off the air in your tires, and refilling your water bottle.

Great ideas...and I have to mention that your nine hour total is definitely impressive! I think you worked the bike valet more than anyone else.

• 7 months later...

Artisphere has yet another feather in its cap. The festival has been listed as a top ten arts festival in Greg Lawler’s “Art Fair Sourcebook” for 2009.

Artisphere was ranked 6th out of 600 events in the fine arts category (up from 46 in 2008), and 12th out of 600 in contemporary craft category (up from 59 in 2008).

This is great news for the festival and Greenville! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The organizers of Artisphere have decided to increase the number of artists this year. The total number of accepted artists will grow from 100 to 120. Apparently applications for the highly praised festival has risen 250 percent since its inaugural year, and the organizers felt that many worthy artists were being turned down. :camera:

The organizers of Artisphere have decided to increase the number of artists this year. The total number of accepted artists will grow from 100 to 120. Apparently applications for the highly praised festival has risen 250 percent since its inaugural year, and the organizers felt that many worthy artists were being turned down. :camera:

Excellent news!! :) So glad to see this event continuing to grow.

Excellent news!! :) So glad to see this event continuing to grow.

I like their stated reasoning for doing it, too. They said that they're not just growing to grow, but they feel that with over 600+ very qualified applicants, an expanded class of accepted applicants will enhance the event and not hurt its quality. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Well, ladies and gentlemen, Artisphere wraps up tomorrow. This might be the BEST weather the festival has ever had! We could possibly be looking at an attendance and art sales record..? I think the chances are more than good! :thumbsup:

Are the attendance figures out yet? It was absolutely packed on Sunday (I'm sure the incredible weather helped). I would think attendance set a new record high.

• 2 weeks later...

After grabbing a bubble tea at a crowded Ocha this past week, I walked along the riverwalk. I was struck by the fact that this year's sidewalk art from Artisphere wasn't protected! The two pieces are almost entirely washed away now. In the past, I've always enjoyed their addition to the public art that Greenville has to offer... Apparently not this year :(

[i noticed that about the lack of protection; usually we can enjoy the chalk artwork for months after Artisphere. Of course, the quality of the chalk artwork itself was quite a bit lower this year too - maybe the organizers didn't want to save it for that reason?

• 2 weeks later...

I just attended Columbus, Ohio's arts festival. Basically a handful of booths in a parking lot, but it seems to generate a lot of buzz here for some reason.

You Greenvillians and your Artisphere. I hope you realize just how good you have it.

Three and a half years since I lived there, and I still brag about Greenville.

• 1 year later...

As an indicator of its growing prestige, Artisphere this year received the most artist applications ever in its eight-year history.

A total 884 artists — 100 more than last year — vied for 120 booths available at downtown Greenville’s big annual celebration of the visual arts, scheduled for May 11-13.

“I think it reflects a growing awareness of Artisphere,” said Kerry Murphy, executive director of the outdoor festival, which also features food, live music and activities for children. “Word of mouth is definitely traveling around the art show circuit.”

For artists nationwide, two things are driving interest in Artisphere: the potential for strong sales and Greenville’s hospitality, Murphy said.

“The word is out that Greenville is a community that appreciates art and culture,” Murphy said. “We’re fortunate that we’ve got a great setting for the festival.”

More info: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120217/NEWS/302170010/Artisphere-applications-most-festival-s-8-years?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}newswell{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE{sodEmoji.|}p

As an indicator of its growing prestige, Artisphere this year received the most artist applications ever in its eight-year history.

A total 884 artists — 100 more than last year — vied for 120 booths available at downtown Greenville’s big annual celebration of the visual arts, scheduled for May 11-13.

“I think it reflects a growing awareness of Artisphere,” said Kerry Murphy, executive director of the outdoor festival, which also features food, live music and activities for children. “Word of mouth is definitely traveling around the art show circuit.”

For artists nationwide, two things are driving interest in Artisphere: the potential for strong sales and Greenville’s hospitality, Murphy said.

“The word is out that Greenville is a community that appreciates art and culture,” Murphy said. “We’re fortunate that we’ve got a great setting for the festival.”

More info: http://www.greenvill...ext{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE{sodEmoji.|}p

I'll make sure to come out at least one day for this and after reading this thread I'm excited for what I will find for my first time.

• 1 year later...

Just returned home after attending Artisphere today. Awesome event. Thank you to Greenville for making this event better every year. We purchased a piece of pottery from someone out of New York City. Someone from New York City is coming to Greenville, S.C. to sell his art. That is impressive. 

Archived