HDR photos of Manhattan

Neo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some awesome pics! They feel very surreal.

I don't quite understand what HDR means. Can someone explain?

HDR = High Dynamic Range

In regards to photography I believe it means a series of separate shots with separate exposures are combined to make one shot.

EDIT: Wikipedia explains it better than I -> link

I've been experimenting with HDR photography. It can be hard at times. I've been critical about what I've done so I've uploaded none of them to flickr. But basically you take a series of shots without moving the camera to achieve all light levels of what you are photographing. You then merge those photos together to achieve the balanced lighting effect, usually with photoshop CS or CS2.

Here's a good example where HDR is useful. If you've ever taken a picture inside a room with a window, you may notice the room may show up in the photos, but everything outside the window is bright white. This is because the camera must differentiate between two different sources of luminescence. But by taking photos at various exposures, you can achive what is seen outside the window in some photos, and what is visible inside the room for other photos. Merge those all together and you get it all. In some cases HDR is a bit overexaggerated for that surreal effect. I've managed to balance out a couple of my shots, but I have yet to acheive what I'm seeing in the Manhattan photos. They are very well done. The best HDR photos will exhibit all the desired lighting qualities without extreme bright patches that sometimes show up, and have sharp edges. Sharp edges can be achieved by using a tripod, a remote control shutter, and very little wind disturbance that might move the camera.

Archived