MSU Projects

Here are some developments going on at Missouri State University.

University College Hall

University%20College%20Hall2.jpg

This new facility to be located on the corner of National and Madison will greet students on their initial visit to campus. It will house the University College, which contains the Honors College, international studies, general education, and continuous orientation advisement. The new building will also provide space for the office of student services.

College of Arts and Letters

Coal.h8.jpg

In an attempt to geographically consolidate the College of Arts & Letters to one region on campus, this new building complex will house six departments within the college. The proposed building will provide an appropriate environment for the departments of art & design, communication, media, journalism & film, modern & classical languages, music and theatre & dance.

Springfield developer John Q. Hammons said he would donate $25 million toward the construction of a new 12,000-seat arena on the Missouri State University campus. The $60 million dollar venue is scheduled to open by the 2008-2009 basketball season. Along with the 12,000 seats there will be 20 luxury suites and a private club which will bring the total capacity to over 13,000.

Missouri State plans to cover the remaining costs through additional donations and $50 million in bonds.

The Hammons Student Center, home for Missouri state indoor athletics for 30 years, will be renovated and used as a practice facility.

The new JQH Arena will be build on the parking lot east of the student center.

Click for Rendering

The Jordan Valley Science and Innovation Center has it's own thread because it is a large developement.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always heard that MSU was a great university with a great college atmosphere. These projects sound great. How does MSU fall in the scheme of things compared to other Missouri institutions of higher learning as far as funding and getting priority for projects go?

I have always heard that MSU was a great university with a great college atmosphere. These projects sound great. How does MSU fall in the scheme of things compared to other Missouri institutions of higher learning as far as funding and getting priority for projects go?

MSU is the second largest universtiy in the state with more than 20,000 students and that number keeps climbing. For many years the university didn't get as much funding as other schools but up until 5 years ago they were second on the list as far as state funding goes. John Q. Hammons is a huge help becasue he has donated soooooo much to the university and also gave it it's many awards for their campus housing and dormatories. He also has his name on about half the buildings in town.

What does John Q. Hammons do? I assume he is a very wealthy man that probably has an interesting story behind him or/his family.

John Q. Hammons is the owner of the nations leading independently owned hotel chain called JQH Hotels Inc located here in Springfield. He is also in the 100 richest people of the US. His office is in the Hammons Tower on the 20th floor (The tall black building in the skyline).

Here is the website: http://www.jqh.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/corporate./id/2

• 2 weeks later...

That's incredible. Springfield really has some great things happening and this will be the only Multi-Use Arena of it's kind in the SWMO/NWA region.

I guess I didn't realize that. The city is planning a HUGE 17,000-20,000 seat arena but there is no word on when it will be done. Plans call for it to be in Downtown Springfield.

I guess I didn't realize that. The city is planning a HUGE 17,000-20,000 seat arena but there is no word on when it will be done. Plans call for it to be in Downtown Springfield.

That will be awesome. With an arean that size Springfield will draw in major music artists. Again an arena that size will serve over a million people in SWMO/NWA.

That will be awesome. With an arean that size Springfield will draw in major music artists. Again an arena that size will serve over a million people in SWMO/NWA.

Yeah I'm sure it will, but then again we already get some pretty big names in the area weather it be Springfield or Branson. I almost think its wierd to build this because Springfield has so many theaters and then the JQH arena and then this.......I kinda makes my head spin. Missouri State U. is structuring the JQH arena to be able to hold awesome concerts and to also make visiting teams that play MSU intimidated.

Anyways I can't wait for both to get done.

• 1 month later...

Here is the rendering for the JQH Arena. I really like this design! :D

jqharena.jpg

Although the photo below say's this is a possible location it has already been confirmed that the arena will be located here. I pulled this from an earlier news article.

DO18879210.JPG

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived