Whats a good bicycle for traveling DT?

snoogit

I might be moving DT sooner then I think here, so I've been looking at alternat means of getting around town, f course the one that came up was bicycle. I don't know exactly where I will end up yet, as moving is a long way away still but if I do end up downtown I would want to avoid my car as much as possible.

I'm just wondering what type of bicycle would someone reccomend for getting around town? should I get one of those all terain bikes ( Because those roads can be mighty treacherous :lol: ) or would something more catered to the street be ok?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be moving DT sooner then I think here, so I've been looking at alternat means of getting around town, f course the one that came up was bicycle. I don't know exactly where I will end up yet, as moving is a long way away still but if I do end up downtown I would want to avoid my car as much as possible.

I'm just wondering what type of bicycle would someone reccomend for getting around town? should I get one of those all terain bikes ( Because those roads can be mighty treacherous :lol: ) or would something more catered to the street be ok?

Hey, I'm also thinking of a new bike and some help would be great! I'm not particulary excited about a mountain bike (since I don't do much off-roading). Hope it's OK if I piggyback snoogit (on this thread, not on your bike :rofl: )?

Hey, I'm also thinking of a new bike and some help would be great! I'm not particulary excited about a mountain bike (since I don't do much off-roading). Hope it's OK if I piggyback snoogit (on this thread, not on your bike :rofl: )?

lol I meant mountain bike as a joke to the bad state of our roads at times :P but sure hop on, but try to avoid the potholes!

edit:

just checking out amazon.com to see whats out there (of course I'd buy here)

and I saw this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZRU4...lance&n=3375251

looks to be pretty good.

I can't imagine that anyone on here would be of much help.

[here's where I'd insert a smiley if I believed in them]

My city bike (pictured in the Spring DT thread) is an ATB with a normal frame (no suspension). It has fenders, a rear rack, and big commuter baskets. (The photo depicts auction site purchases I collected from the post office; the largest object is a violin case. Later that day I rode to Shifty's and brought home a bag of apples, another of oranges, and 14 lbs of kitty litter.)

ATB tires are the way to go. Can't recall the last time I had a flat. ATB handlebars are excellent for urban riding (said the long-distance tourer who did thousands of miles in the 70s). A "road" bike is good for all-day riding on back country roads.

Too bad y'all just missed the city auction; lots of decent rides there for real cheap. You might try browsing a local bike shop (LBS) to see what they have in your price range (and color). My standard advice: let them try to sell you something, take good notes. Go to next LBS, repeat. After about 4 shops you'll have a good idea of what you want and who you want to buy it from. Many LBS have a bulletin board where those with A Bicycle Problem unload their 6th, 7th, and 8th-best bikes; nothing wrong with buying used. (I think Freewheeler offers used bikes much of the time...not real familiar with floor inventory at most LBS; I try to avoid the places due to the condition mentioned in the previous sentence.)

Bicycling's latest buyer's guide is not a bad resource. Yes, you can pay $$$$ for a bicycle! Suggest not acquiring one from a big box *.Mart as the parts are made of stamped steel, the frames are heavy, and the durability, fit and finish, and component tolerances just aren't there.

Wear bright colors, please. "Man in Black" is fine for stagewear but not on the street.

I've considered riding up to work on the bike. I've rode the streets before with a bike and I probably won't do that anymore. I have to take Eastern out to the 'burbs and have been nearly hit before, and it dosen't help if your uniform is black. (that didn't seem to be the problem because they shouted at me that. "that's what the sidwalk is used for." I've come to the conclusion that some people can't share the road with bicyclists so I do the sidewalk. I know I'm not supposed to be on the walkway, but I've been told by an officer that they'd rather have people ride on the sidewalks rather then being on the motor ways. I found this to be ok if you are extra curtious to peds. What I do is come to a full stop and go onto the grass to let them pass, it helps and it gets a lot of compliments :thumbsup:

Some times I feel like a loser for using the sidewalk. :(

I can't imagine that anyone on here would be of much help.

[here's where I'd insert a smiley if I believed in them]

My city bike (pictured in the Spring DT thread) is an ATB with a normal frame (no suspension). It has fenders, a rear rack, and big commuter baskets. (The photo depicts auction site purchases I collected from the post office; the largest object is a violin case. Later that day I rode to Shifty's and brought home a bag of apples, another of oranges, and 14 lbs of kitty litter.)

ATB tires are the way to go. Can't recall the last time I had a flat. ATB handlebars are excellent for urban riding (said the long-distance tourer who did thousands of miles in the 70s). A "road" bike is good for all-day riding on back country roads.

Too bad y'all just missed the city auction; lots of decent rides there for real cheap. You might try browsing a local bike shop (LBS) to see what they have in your price range (and color). My standard advice: let them try to sell you something, take good notes. Go to next LBS, repeat. After about 4 shops you'll have a good idea of what you want and who you want to buy it from. Many LBS have a bulletin board where those with A Bicycle Problem unload their 6th, 7th, and 8th-best bikes; nothing wrong with buying used. (I think Freewheeler offers used bikes much of the time...not real familiar with floor inventory at most LBS; I try to avoid the places due to the condition mentioned in the previous sentence.)

Bicycling's latest buyer's guide is not a bad resource. Yes, you can pay $$$$ for a bicycle! Suggest not acquiring one from a big box *.Mart as the parts are made of stamped steel, the frames are heavy, and the durability, fit and finish, and component tolerances just aren't there.

Wear bright colors, please. "Man in Black" is fine for stagewear but not on the street.

Thanks Veloise for the tips.

Snoogit, that one you posted is pretty sweet actually! I can't stand the low profile position on a mountain bike. :(

I bought a Specialized mountain bike about 15 years ago. It was a great bike, but I rarely rode it off road. I decided to by a city bike/commuter bike instead beause it has skinnier tires than a mountain bike(less resistance when pedaling), but larger tires than a road bike(more shock absorbtion, more durable).

I bought a Breezer Liberty. Breezer only makes commuter bikes. The whole philosophy of the company is designed around using bikes as transportation instead of cars. Their bikes are not cheap, but they are a good value considering the quality of the components that they use. I have had the bike for two years and I absolutely love it. It handles well and all of the components work flawlessly.

The downside is that there isn't a dealer in Grand Rapids. Holland and Lansing are the closest dealers. I suggest you at least check out their website because of their philosophy on using bikes as transportation.

breezerbikes.com

Try this site it will give you some ideas. www.commuterbicycles.com In my humble opinion you don't want a bike with suspension it slows you down. I like steel frames for there rigidity so I tend to find old bikes at garage sales and update them with aluminium parts. While mountian bike handle bars are decent for city riding I like the classic moustach bars for a longer ride it gives you choices for hand placement thus reducing fatigue. I could go on and on I don't commute by bike (I work in Rockford) its my main mode of transport when home. Also nothing is better than internal hub shifting, you only get 7 speeds but less hassle plus you can have a coaster brake which I love.

Breezer makes excellent bikes for town commuting. They're set up to include everything you need:

fenders, lights fore and aft, rear rack, bell, and best of all, an integrated rear-wheel lock. (Of course, you'll use that in conjunction with a more mega-lock for long parking.) Read all about it here:

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm

post-5766-1145927791_thumb.jpg

post-5766-1145927791_thumb.jpg

well, i have a Schwinn Frontier and i love it. It brakes good, handles good. It doesnt have a suspension, but it still has off road tires for when i go camping. Also, one of the most important things is that it has a GREAT kickstand, cause i know we all hate the ones that come with most bikes, that cause them to fall over and what-not.

Also, if your not traveling long distances(and if they are allowed on the sidewalks in GR) you should check out a Schwinn electric scooter, my friend has one, and it is pretty cool and pretty quick :)

Today I found myself in a LBS. (Left the wallet in the four-wheeler.)

They had some phenomenal deals on 2005 models. Lots of Trek street bikes, perfect for urban cycling. One was r-e-a-l-l-y tall and it was something like $125, about what you'd pay at a *.Mart. But the LBS would assemble it up properly, not to mention adjust it to fit you, and outfit you with all the accessories you'd need. If I didn't already have enough bikes for my own football team...$125 is an incredible price for a brand-new Trek bike from a LBS.

This is also a Townie dealer. And they have 'bents. And adult 3-wheelers. And a 'bent 3-wheeler.

Was sorely tempted by a clip-on grocery basket that looks almost like a messenger bag. (Why do I need new bags?? The black ones pictured on my red bike --see Spring DT-- are only about ten years old!) Big helmet sale, too. And it was a busy happy place.

This was the Schwinn shop in Grandville. They recently bought out a LBS in Holland, so now they have three stores. The staff looked like clean-cut helpful folks.

In the next few weeks I'll be hitting all the local LBS, but I won't bore y'all with reports. Get on yer bikes and RIDE!!!

I used to swear by schwin... Is the scooter one of thoes Razor types that are kind of like novelties?

i love Schwinns, but they are so expensive, especially after switching from buying bikes at Sears like i used to,lol

The scooter isnt really a novelty, i think its cool anyway. it has a seat and stuff, and a basket to put stuff in.

B00019OCWM.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Veloise, are you smiley-free too? I've never posted a clickable!

A good friend detests smileys, either ASCII or the icon type. So I don't use them. I sent his wife a message with this smiley:

;D

and it took three replies to explain it to her.

Prefer the ironic style campaigned by Garrison Keillor over s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g things out.

There's a funny *.Mart-buying thread on rec.bicycles.soc. Poster lists what you get for $59.95, $69.95, and so on, and how long each bike lasted him. (Did I mention shopping at the LBS??)

Time to break out my City of GR bike (purchased at the auction last year for $35.00).

~~May is bicycle month!!~~

I was curious. What does LBS stand for?

And a *.Mart is a retailer of everything under the sun, including bicycle-shaped objects that might last most of a summer if you don't ride too far (which you wouldn't want to do because it won't be adjusted to fit you...).

i got my bike at an LBS(Asenmachers), and its the best bike i ever had, it fits me so well and is in great shape and great condition and its over 9 years old

i will NEVER buy another bike at a *mart ever again!!!

i got my bike at an LBS(Asenmachers), and its the best bike i ever had, it fits me so well and is in great shape and great condition and its over 9 years old

i will NEVER buy another bike at a *mart ever again!!!

Matt Assenmacher is a great guy. I've known him since...oh, since I was matriculating at the UP & LA building at the place where they Major in Social Unrest, many years before public incendiary celebrations marred the streets.

Real bikes last. I have one from 1897 (no typo; eighteen -- right after the high-wheeler bike boom) and I've done centuries (100-mile rides) on it.

Ever been riding on that old bicycle in "Old Grand Rapids" at the Museum? Being that high with just two tires below me freaks me out..

I used to be in The Wheelmen and most of them decried my "safety" bike. I'd tell 'em how long the orthodontics took and how I didn't want to do that again. There's a bicycle band in the 734 that rides high-wheelers.

Last fall in a trip up north I stopped at the highway rest area near Clare that's in the median. Lots of displays, including a late-1890s tandem (ladyfront, back seat driver). The plaque said it belonged to the GR museum, and the guy at the desk mentioned that they'd asked the institution to come get their stuff. I offered to run it on back here, but they declined my generous offer.

Real bikes last. I have one from 1897 (no typo; eighteen -- right after the high-wheeler bike boom) and I've done centuries (100-mile rides) on it.

WOW!!!! thats old.

i know all about how real bikes last.i bought a Mongoose at sears and it only lasted me 2 years, then i bought my Schwinn(it was used) and it was in awsome shape then, still in awesome shape now.

Archived