Pike House Redevelopment

GRDadof3

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good scoop, Dad. Anybody know what will become of the 201 Ionia Building?

I had heard a retailer was looking at it, but then civitas heard that another office user was moving in. I haven't heard who. :dontknow:

I can't believe the Pike House was originally built in 1845 (pre-Civil War). :blink:

http://www.heritagehillweb.org/Search/building.asp?id=300

I didn't realize Design + was moving out, I figured it would be a satellite office. Crazy. Hopefully it will give that section of Fulton a shot in the arm. I remember when they pushed that area as "New Town" and it started to flourish. Unfortunately it was quick lived.

Joe

U.S. Signal Telecom Company to move into Design+ depot on Ionia

(changed the theme of the article)

Apparently they are up to 55 employees and need to move out of their offices on the top floor of The BOB. More information on Design+'s plans as well.

U.S. Signal Telecom Company to move into Design+ depot on Ionia

(changed the theme of the article)

Apparently they are up to 55 employees and need to move out of their offices on the top floor of The BOB. More information on Design+'s plans as well.

Design Plus first considered buying the Pike House in the mid 80's. It was owned at the time by another interior design firn who had bought it from the Art Museum.

US Signal is Rich Postma's company. He built USXchange and sold it to ChoiceOne for a lot of money. He also built the very exclusive Arcadia Golf Course. USXchange rehabed property on Grandville Avenue well before Design Plus moved into the depot on Ionia, so they have been in the neighborhood for many years and were early South-of-Fulton pioneers.

Design Plus first considered buying the Pike House in the mid 80's. It was owned at the time by another interior design firn who had bought it from the Art Museum.

US Signal is Rich Postma's company. He built USXchange and sold it to ChoiceOne for a lot of money. He also built the very exclusive Arcadia Golf Course. USXchange rehabed property on Grandville Avenue well before Design Plus moved into the depot on Ionia, so they have been in the neighborhood for many years and were early South-of-Fulton pioneers.

Well I'll ask the obvious then. Does he plan to build up U.S. Signal and then sell it off like he did USXchange to a telecom in another State, and all the workers sent packing? I think much of 56 Grandville is still vacant (The building connected to 44 Grandville and Bistro Bella Vita):

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....LS=360585&C=&B=

So I read the article in the Press this morning and they talked about the "historical" nature of this building and seemed to put an emphasis on the columns out front and how they came from some building out near Holland. My question... does anyone know what those columns are made out of? Surely they can't be stone, right? So what's the big deal? Sure, it looks like a Greek temple, but its no Palladio, thats for sure.

I give Design+ a lot of credit for their interest in adaptive re-use, but I really don't think the Pike House is as special as they're making it out to be.

So I read the article in the Press this morning and they talked about the "historical" nature of this building and seemed to put an emphasis on the columns out front and how they came from some building out near Holland. My question... does anyone know what those columns are made out of? Surely they can't be stone, right? So what's the big deal? Sure, it looks like a Greek temple, but its no Palladio, thats for sure.

I give Design+ a lot of credit for their interest in adaptive re-use, but I really don't think the Pike House is as special as they're making it out to be.

I just noticed today how run-down that building has become, and the rear addition is just awful looking. Hopefully they add the Design+ touch to it.

• 8 months later...

Here's a first look at our (Design+) new home. Its not done yet, so once it is I'll snap some more pictures and post them up so you folks can see the final product. It has a MUCH different feel than 201 S Ionia, but I think once we're unpacked and settled in it will be a nice change.

Entry / Reception / Lobby

339951500_6f56a30317_b.jpg

339949839_272c3426fb_b.jpg

Men's Restroom

339948179_8c49726b22_b.jpg

Women's Restroom

339946769_1893e57ed8_b.jpg

Architectural Sardine Area - Upstairs

339945109_c4215ea00f_b.jpg

339943381_c13a14b488_b.jpg

Interior & Landscape - Downstairs

339941777_046c5cf359_b.jpg

Board Room

339940076_c450b9dfff_b.jpg

Conference Rooms

339938473_45789dd556_b.jpg

339936856_2c0e2a7327_b.jpg

339935633_13d3e78489_b.jpg

339934165_1beeb9bb92_b.jpg

Parting Shot

339933081_505fd3a18e_b.jpg

The entire office is moving into Pike House. 201 S Ionia was sold to US Signal around the end of the summer and they have been renovating it since September or so. I think they are moving in around February. Obviously Pike House isn't done yet, so we still have a section of the old building as storage for us and we'll still be having meetings in the old building, but they have been making great progress, so we're hoping by the end of January it will be done. Then look for a small addition this spring :)

As for the exterior, I don't know how much extra we will be doing. I hope in the long run we fix it up and clean it up, but I think we're waiting until we finish the addition (Its only a single small conference room, nothing major)

• 2 months later...

The photos that were up before looked real good. I can't wait to see the spaces all finished. The thing I like most about this project is the reuse of a historic building for a new purpose and how the modifications made to it to suit Design-Plus's needs were made in a descrete manner so as to not spoil the character of the building.

Apparently I jumped the gun with the photos so they've been pulled. Once everything is done, I'll post finished pictures :) Thanks

• 1 year later...

Archived