World Beer Festival

Transplant

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC needs a beer all its own. Georgia has Sweetwater Blue. Texas has Lone Star and Shiner Bock. Pennsylvania has Rolling Rock. Tenn. has Blue Moon. We kind of have Carolina Blonde in CLT, but its not very well known. What do y'all think?

NC needs a beer all its own. Georgia has Sweetwater Blue. Texas has Lone Star and Shiner Bock. Pennsylvania has Rolling Rock. Tenn. has Blue Moon. We kind of have Carolina Blonde in CLT, but its not very well known. What do y'all think?

There is a brewery in Holly Springs. I think it is Carolina Brewing Co. Not sure where Red Oak is from?

There are a lot of microbreweries, but nothing on a national scale like Rolling Rock, Yeungling, Lone Star, etc. Which I think is a good thing.

NC breweries include

- Weeping Radish - used to have a Durham location, but now only on the Outer Banks)

- Carolina brewery - Holly Springs, in higher end grocery stores

- Greenshields - was in downown Raleigh, opening soon in Cary

- Edenton/Horniblows, in Raleigh off Atlantic Ave, between Hodges street and Whittaker Mill.

- Top of the Hill - Chapel Hill, had a "microcannery" between chapel hill and pinehurst for a while/still?

- SouthEnd - originally in Charlotte, now also in Raleigh near Glenwood South

- Red Oak is out towards Burlington I think, i've seen signs on I-85/40.

- Mash House, which has a restaurant in Fayetville and is sold in Hi 5, Bogarts, Michael Dean's, etc.

I think there's a couple in the western part of the state as well, but don't know any by name.

I think having a spring festival in Raleigh will complement the fall festival in Durham. The DAP seemed to have too much space, but still worked. This will just be taunting me to take the few blocks walk down Hargett!

There are a lot of microbreweries, but nothing on a national scale like Rolling Rock, Yeungling, Lone Star, etc. Which I think is a good thing.

NC breweries include

- Weeping Radish - used to have a Durham location, but now only on the Outer Banks)

- Greenshields - was in downown Raleigh, opening soon in Cary

- Edenton/Horniblows, in Raleigh off Atlantic Ave, between Hodges street and Whittaker Mill.

- Top of the Hill - Chapel Hill, had a "microcannery" between chapel hill and pinehurst for a while/still?

- SouthEnd - originally in Charlotte, now also in Raleigh near Glenwood South

- Red Oak is out towards Burlington I think, i've seen signs on I-85/40.

- Mash House, which has a restaurant in Fayetville and is sold in Hi 5, Bogarts, Michael Dean's, etc.

I think there's a couple in the western part of the state as well, but don't know any by name.

I think having a spring festival in Raleigh will complement the fall festival in Durham. The DAP seemed to have too much space, but still worked. This will just be taunting me to take the few blocks walk down Hargett!

Battle Field in Greensboro

Duck Rabbit in Farmville

What was the one in Boone that closed recently?

Edit: Battle field black is made by Red Oak in Greensboro

For the record, Carolina Brewing Company is in Hoppy Springs (I know--been on the tour :D ) and Carolina Brewery is on Franklin St in Chapel Hill.

I happen think CBC's Carolina Pale Ale is one of the better beers around. Kind of a shame they don't distribute outside of the Triangle... oh well, more for us!

If you want to try a nice assortment of local lagers (and microbrews from all over), check out Tyler's Taproom. There's one in Carrboro and a new one in the American Tobacco campus. There's so many beers on tap, one might argue there's too much. Ah, the paradox of choice.

• 1 month later...

I know there was a thread in the main section, but it seems more appropriate to be here.

Is anyone going this weekend? The weather forecast predicts rain for Saturday -- two weeks in a row!

I'm leaning toward the afternoon session, if tickets are still available... Is this potential for another meetup already?

Does anyone have an extra ticket they want to sell? It appears all tickets have now been sold out.

I tried to get one online for a few days, but it was busted. Now the site says too bad.

Hopefully this means there will be another one next year!

Does anyone have an extra ticket they want to sell? It appears all tickets have now been sold out.

I tried to get one online for a few days, but it was busted. Now the site says too bad.

Hopefully this means there will be another one next year!

Try going to the locations (Saw Mill Taproom, MacGregor Draft House) to get tixs. otherwise, you may get tickets on ebay, or from scalpers (yes, thats right. I was shocked to see scalpers in durham the first year i went).

A quick recap on the beer fest:

It was a lot of fun, although I think they may have oversold the 6-10pm event. We waited in 1 of the 2 lines for 30 minutes before we got through (even after my girlfriend waited 10 minutes in line). Once we were initially in Moore Square, it was very hard to get any sample. It probably didn't get any easier to grab a sample the whole night, but just more tolerable (I wonder why? :)). We talked to they guys at the Flying Saucer booth and they actually ran out of food.

Overall it was a satisfying experience, and I think we will try and go to the Durham one later this year.

We'll have a full recap with interviews on the podcast in the next few days.

I drove by, sad that I didn't get a ticket, until I saw the lines. I think I made out better taking my 25 bucks to flying saucer, but I still felt left out of all the fun. I guess since it was such a success, they will be back next year.

A quick recap on the beer fest:

It was a lot of fun, although I think they may have oversold the 6-10pm event. We waited in 1 of the 2 lines for 30 minutes before we got through (even after my girlfriend waited 10 minutes in line). Once we were initially in Moore Square, it was very hard to get any sample. It probably didn't get any easier to grab a sample the whole night, but just more tolerable (I wonder why? :)). We talked to they guys at the Flying Saucer booth and they actually ran out of food.

Overall it was a satisfying experience, and I think we will try and go to the Durham one later this year.

We'll have a full recap with interviews on the podcast in the next few days.

I'm surprised to hear this. I went to the afternoon session. Getting in took a bit of time, got there 10 min. early (11:50am) and got in by 12:15pm. This is about what its taken to get into the festival in durham.

After getting in, there was an initial 'rush' to get beer, but after 15 min, the lines were never more than 4 people deep.

I had a great time (too), as did the folks I went with. The cost may seem high, but the great thing about a tasting like this, is if you request a beer that you don't like, you simply dump it. Which I did with some.

If you can wait 45 minutes after a session starts, there is usually hardly any wait to get in, and you miss the initial push to the favorite booths. 3 hours is plenty to try just about everything at least once or twice.

I walked by a little after 1 pm and the ticket takers/ID checkers were bored out of their minds.

The "flights" (do they still do them?) at flying saucer are the closest to the beer festival in being able to try a variety of beers. A lot of the beers at the festival are not available in any store around here, even seven even/peace street market.

To join in I had one beer (Victory Golden Monkey) from Woodys in city market. The "fair" in the market was a bit of a let down, but it was good to see them trying something. It was nice to drink while just walking around. The emptyness of the former Greenshileds building leaves that whole block empty, except for the band "stage" across from Woodys.

How well lit was the night session? I didn't stick around after seeing the line stretch along Hargett from Blount to Person.

• 11 months later...

You could try the classifieds section of thewolfweb.com.

Flying Saucer and Tir Na Nog (I think) had a few about a couple weeks ago. I think the last place in NC to get them was up in Winston-Salem of all places. My roommate had tried to get 2 more for some friends but they sold out up there too. So I think they're gone everywhere now. Every year we always miss the online ticket sales, but this year we planned absurdly ahead and basically stalked the online site. I think we have a group of about 10-15 people going, haha.

TheWolfWeb would probably be your best choice. I know every year there are people on there who end up not being able to go, etc. Just make a post in classifieds that's something like "WTB: ticket(s) to beer festival!".

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I noticed there was something big setting up in Moore Square and then remembered it was the World Beer Festival. They are taking over Moore Square, Martin, and Person! This will throw traffic into my neighborhood, but I don't mind as long as they don't do it too often.

There are tickets available on Craigslist, slightly above face value. I'd try to get one but am going to be busy with other things that night, so will save my drinking for then.

Archived