New Low for Bush

Richhamleigh, DC

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even Nixon wasn't as bad.

I was recently asked which president in my lifetime I liked/respected most and I answered Nixon (much to everyone's surprise). At least he had the sense in the end (after much lying and consternation) to do what was best for the country and leave. And he did have some good programs, opened up China...

Though it took him 5 years and about 30,000k+ lives to do it, Nixon did finally get us out of the mess called Vietnam. It's unfortunate that sad lesson has been lost on most of the people who support Bush's war on Iraq that he disingeniously refers to as the "War on Terror".

I was recently asked which president in my lifetime I liked/respected most and I answered Nixon (much to everyone's surprise). At least he had the sense in the end (after much lying and consternation) to do what was best for the country and leave. And he did have some good programs, opened up China...

Opened up China, but now they're getting rich while at the same time continuing to put human rights second. I think the only reason they opened up the economy was to keep the people happy and their position in power secure.

We haven't had good luck with Presidents in recent history. IMO the best ones were Eisehower (simply for the interstate program and its effect on the economy) and Reagan (sped up the demise of USSR, deregulated the economy a little giving us a bridge from an industrial based economy to the service economy we live in today). For bad Presidents we got Bush 2 and Carter screwing up everything, Johnson with Viet Nam and his government expanding "Great Society", Kennedy with all his scandals and the continued escalation of Viet Nam, Nixon...

It's okay. Bush will stand there and say "I don't listen to what they say on the news and I don't believe in poll numbers."

HAHA! That was obvious after you lost the popular vote and you had your presidency handed to you by a judge!

Then he'll go on a speaking tour around the country, hand picking loyal repubilcans to sit in the audience. THen he'll say something like "We need to find more alternatives to oil"...

Then somehow it'll break into the news that there have been terrorist threats on the U.S that his policies magically stopped but he decided not to tell us until his poll numbers hit 32%. Anyone remember the big hype a couple months ago about attack threats on L.A as his poll numbers hit a new low? I think too many people see through his tactics now, however.

\

Good riddance with him. I sincerely hope the democrats take a majority this fall and are proceding with impeachment hearings by Jan. 4th.

Opened up China, but now they're getting rich while at the same time continuing to put human rights second. I think the only reason they opened up the economy was to keep the people happy and their position in power secure...

Actually the reason for doing so was to change the balance of power between the two super powers. A Communist Chinese government allied with the USA, generated huge concerns inside the USSR and caused them to rethink how they would deal with a war with the west. It cost them hundreds of billions in additional military deployments.

It was this event that led tho the fall of the Soviet empire, not anything that Ronald Reagan might or might not have done as so many Reagan revisionists would have people of today believe.

Actually the reason for doing so was to change the balance of power between the two super powers. A Communist Chinese government allied with the USA, generated huge concerns inside the USSR and caused them to rethink how they would deal with a war with the west. It cost them hundreds of billions in additional military deployments.

I never thought of it that way. It's kinda like what happened with Afghanistan and Iraq, we'll be sorry.

Neither did I.

I would say Reagan was the greatest president of my lifetime because of his role in uniting East Germany with Germany and of course the collapse of the CCCP.

He sold democracy to the world, and it worked. And he was very likable and well-respected!

Bush? :rolleyes: Not so much!

Bush doesn't care anymore... you guys don't see that? He stands there and says look, I'm here for the long haul, this is whats on the agenda, and thats what I'm gonna do. And he does it with that look and that famous grin... which is annoying because I think he could come across a little less arrogant. But he's had that problem from the start, its nothing new.

Despite this, lots of us want to talk approval ratings and what it means. IMO it means nothing! November is going to be about the price of gas, and thats it. We're getting hit where it hurts, and whichever party comes out with a strong plan to ease the pain will win in the end. Thats my take.

....regarding gas prices....a new poll says that only 20% of Americans think Bush has a plan. I'm surprised it's 20%! :cry:

Well he does have a vague plan .... win the war on terrra, drill in Alaska, build refineries, even explore alternative fuels. Will he act on anything? Even if he does I don't think much will get much through congress.

Well he does have a vague plan .... win the war on terrra, drill in Alaska, build refineries, even explore alternative fuels. Will he act on anything? Even if he does I don't think much will get much through congress.

Indeed, he is such a bad president even his own party doesn't support him anymore. They are running for the hills as fast as they can to avoid having anything to do with the President. Even his biggest supporter, Tony Blair, is avoiding the President these days.

Some historians are seriously considering this guy the worst president we ever had. Many others would put him in the top 3 after Bucchanan and Hoover.

Generally this is dismissed as partisan silliness, but if that were the case, Reagan or Bush Sr would be at the bottom instead of W. They were more in line with the Republican platform, and did a lot to shape the current state of politics.

Writing statements defining his interpretation of laws when he signs them, tiered internet, the Patriot Act, cutting up NASA, selling national forests, completely reversing a trend of US international respect, magnifying the national debt... he's running out of ways to wreck things. You don't have to be a tax and spend pinko to take issue with a lot of that stuff.

Archived