Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

damus

'Perfect cyclone' bears down on Australian city

7 posts in this topic

SYDNEY (AFP) - A hugely destructive cyclone described as a "perfect" storm bore down on the isolated northern Australian city of Darwin, devastated by a killer cyclone in 1974.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060424/sc_af...ne_060424142434

This is insane. Remind me why we're set on rebuilding New Orleans? What are people who are building towers in Miami thinking?

Oh well... NYC lies on several fault lines that have given way to big earthquakes in the past. Will NYC's next disaster be a big hurricane, earthquake, or will it be terrorism? I'm gonna shy away from living in vulnerable locations such as the ones mentioned. Especially New York, whose populace doesn't seem to know or care of any vulnerability to nature.

NYC lies on several fault lines that have given way to big earthquakes in the past.

There was an earthquake in NYC while I lived there. I would have been terrified had I figured out what was going on before it stopped. Sounded like a bus driving down my stairs.

really an earthquake in NYC? I've never heard of that.

There were two that people were able to feel while I lived there, I only felt one. There's actually a "125th Street Fault."

This has been a very bad year for Australia...

Kinda sad we haven't heard much about this in the western world