Masonic Temple

twoshort

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't they renovating, and/or planning to build a new center? Thought I heard that thru the grapevine....

Anybody know anything about this?

Probably the only people who would know would be Masons, and they're a pretty tight-lipped bunch. Do we have any Masons here at UP-GR?

Probably the only people who would know would be Masons, and they're a pretty tight-lipped bunch. Do we have any Masons here at UP-GR?

Building was up for sale a year (or more) ago. Sale fell though, if memory serves. The 3rd floor ballroom is quite spacious, with a wooden floor and good space, small elevator. (When I'm not cycling or cussing out streetscape vandals, I'm contra dancing.) Rental fee is steep for a folk group but not bad for a one-time major event.

Nice woodwork on the interior.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had our reception there- her father is a mason and got us in for fairly cheap. We had a late wedding and most of the pictures of the hall we were in show the people more than the room. It was nice, but it wasn't magnificent- then again, we got the cheap hall :)

I used to work in the that buidling on the second floor. A woman a work with now, her father is the buidling manager for the Masons. They were looking to build a new site, I beleive out in the Walker area but that was a while ago...

The building is cool, on the 6th floor is like a lodge type room, with saladin (?) murals on the walls and loads of costumes. There is a beautiful theater on the 3rd floor that looks like it is never used. It's huge, with old-wooden seats and a big red-velvet looking curtain. Up in the attic we had cages for storage and I had a great view of the city from the windows that were up there. The second floor is actually an add-on if irecall correctly. There used to be one giant first floor, it was always odd working ont he second floor because we were really close to the unusually ornate cielings. I loved that building, lots of cool stuff.

I also had my prom there and loved that little elavator off the ballroom. Parking was a bugger in that tight downstairs parking lot.

I went inside a small portion of it for a school project once. Was mostly in what seemed like normal office conference rooms, but I did walk out into the lobby and it had a great sense of grandeur.

If they were to indeed move from that location, I would definately hope that the building itself and the intricate details of the interior would be preserved and more available to the public.

Speaking of Masons and secret societies, anyone else looking forward to catching DaVinci Code at the theaters? I'm a bit disappointed that they picked Tom Hanks to play the main character Langdon, but I might be able to look past it. I prefer good obscure actors.

I'm looking forward to it, don't know that much about the book, but i'm with you on the Tom Hanks theory. Although, as megastars go, I like Tom Hanks much much better than say, Tom Cruise.

Speaking of Masons and secret societies, anyone else looking forward to catching DaVinci Code at the theaters? I'm a bit disappointed that they picked Tom Hanks to play the main character Langdon, but I might be able to look past it. I prefer good obscure actors.

I am looking forward to seeing in the theater. I really enjoyed reading the book. It only took me 5 days. :shok: I couldn't put it down once I started and I am not a huge reader my any means. I agree with Tom Hanks, I was concerned when it was announced, but after watching the trailers and video clips, it looks like he has done a nice job.

I am looking forward to seeing in the theater. I really enjoyed reading the book. It only took me 5 days. :shok: I couldn't put it down once I started and I am not a huge reader my any means. I agree with Tom Hanks, I was concerned when it was announced, but after watching the trailers and video clips, it looks like he has done a nice job.

I just read it again about a week ago in about 2 days. Angels and Demons (takes place before DaVinci Code but same main character) is a lot better if you haven't read it.

Archived