Cotuit

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little separates public, private schools

Study finds worst performance in conservative Christian schools

http://http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...MNGI7JVJ361.DTL]

This is pretty remarkable coming from this administration's education department, which has so strongly pushed vouchers to private schools.

there's a difference between your average catholic school (which are an abundance here) and a conservative christian school. i went to catholic schools my whole life... and they performed better than public schools. conservative christian schools do things like not mention evolution and instead preach creationism. they put that uber christian spin on everything and create drones.

disclaimer: when i think conservative christian schools, i'm thinking the likes of bob jones university. if you haven't heard of it, look it up... the rules are fairly amusing.

there's a difference between your average catholic school (which are an abundance here) and a conservative christian school. i went to catholic schools my whole life... and they performed better than public schools. conservative christian schools do things like not mention evolution and instead preach creationism. they put that uber christian spin on everything and create drones.

disclaimer: when i think conservative christian schools, i'm thinking the likes of bob jones university. if you haven't heard of it, look it up... the rules are fairly amusing.

I hate to stereotype, but that's sadly consistent with my own experiences. Worst years of my life.

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this thread. Mayor Cicilline announced a $380 Million master plan to rebuild Providence's schools:

http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news...01-16-0017.html

Trust me, folks. As one who has had experience on two school building committees, this price will go up. This is the price that is paid when necessary maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, keep getting deferred.

In today's public education world, a school has a life expectancy of approx. 60 years before the building becomes too outdated to be an adequate education facility.

Case in point; Mount Pleasant High School. From the article:

"Mount Pleasant High School, like nearly half of all schools in Providence, was built before 1940."

With a student population of approx 1,200, the cost to replace Mount Pleasant would cost $40 million minimum. The general rule of thumb when approximating school replacement:

Elementary schools: 9 to 13 million

Middle Schools: 25 to 30 million

High Schools: 35 to 45 million

This is going to be a tough sell to Providence taxpayers...although it is necessary to replace these schools because they are worn out and have outlived their usefulness as educational facilities. Also, please know that the state can force a municipality to replace a school if it feels it is no longer an adequate education facility. That's a last-resort type of thing, but it can happen. Keep an eye on this. There will be public hearing held over the next month.

Trust me, folks. As one who has had experience on two school building committees, this price will go up. This is the price that is paid when necessary maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, keep getting deferred.

the quite sad thing about this one was that the next story on the news this morning after the plan to renovate schools was the fact that there are plans to close the West Broadway Elementary school. reason given was that it is in violation of fire code due to its configuration. Something a renovation could fix.

the quite sad thing about this one was that the next story on the news this morning after the plan to renovate schools was the fact that there are plans to close the West Broadway Elementary school. reason given was that it is in violation of fire code due to its configuration. Something a renovation could fix.

I'm not sure a renovation could fix this since the fire code mandates that kindergarteners and 1st graders have to have their primary classrooms on the ground floor so that they don't have to deal with stairs in the event of a fire. Isn't West Braodway's entrance above the ground level?

As for how bad are the condition of the Providence schools, they're pretty deplorable due to years and years of deferred maintenance.

For anyone interested, here's the full report.

I'm not sure a renovation could fix this since the fire code mandates that kindergarteners and 1st graders have to have their primary classrooms on the ground floor so that they don't have to deal with stairs in the event of a fire. Isn't West Braodway's entrance above the ground level?

As for how bad are the condition of the Providence schools, they're pretty deplorable due to years and years of deferred maintenance.

For anyone interested, here's the full report.

i'd rather my kids be at West Broadway Elementary with its questionable stairs issue than at Springfield St with its documented superfund site issues. If the city is going to close the small, well performing neighborhood schools and send kids to the city built, new, polluted schools, i'd take my kids out of the system entirely. and i suspect i wouldn't be the only parent to do that.

guess its a good thing i just have cats.

i'd rather my kids be at West Broadway Elementary with its questionable stairs issue than at Springfield St with its documented superfund site issues. If the city is going to close the small, well performing neighborhood schools and send kids to the city built, new, polluted schools, i'd take my kids out of the system entirely. and i suspect i wouldn't be the only parent to do that.

guess its a good thing i just have cats.

Archived