Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rural King

Martin, TN

10 posts in this topic

Martin, TN

Pop: 10,515 (2000)

Weakley County Pop: 34,895 (2000)

Home of the Unviversity of Tennessee at Martin. Undergrade and Graduate School Enrollment: 6000K (and rising).

Major Manufacturers/Employers: UT-Martin, MTD (riding lawn mowers), Greenball Tire (ATV/small vehicle warehouse operation), IFCO (Pallets), Flying Cross (Textiles), Gordon Food Services (Food distribution).

This thread will show off some of the highlights of Martin, which is a really nice, well maintained/managed, and dense college town. There is very little small town sprawl in Martin, and the town overall have quite a bit of cosmopolitan feel to it for being so small, but yet retains the aspects you would expect to find in a West Tennessee town.

So without further ado here is an overall introduction to Martin, TN. Note: These are from the late Fall of 2005.

Welcome to Martin: Home of the Soybean Festival!

Tennessee0092-vi.jpg

Downtown from the corner of Lindell and University.

Tennessee0113-vi.jpg

The Methodist Church - My favorite building in Martin.

Tennessee0021-vi.jpg

Looking up. We don't have to do much of that in Martin, outside of some low rises at UTM.

Tennessee0016-vi.jpg

Awesome old house on North McCombs.

Tennessee0026-vi.jpg

Southern Milling - A staple at the edge of the old downtown commercial district. Downtown developed as many West Tennessee towns did along a rail-line.

Tennessee0048-vi.jpg

Tennessee0049-vi.jpg

The very nice two story red building on the end of the street under construction is now the Opera House restuarant. It offers higher end dining, something Martin has needed, although I have yet to dine there.

Tennessee0061-vi.jpg

Tennessee0072-vi.jpg

Tennessee0073-vi.jpg

Sideshot of the new addition to Martin's Carnegie Library.

Tennessee0075-vi.jpg

The old portion of the Carnegie Library.

Tennessee0078-vi.jpg

Looking west down Main Street away from the commercial strip on Lindell towards the older more historic commerical area on the other side of the tracks along Broadway (on the left). The steeples of the Methodist Church can be seen in the background on the right side of the road as well.

Tennessee0080-vi.jpg

"Keep Martin Beautiful" - The city does well in promoting locals to keep the city attractive via this program.

Tennessee0082-vi.jpg

The "really" old commercial strip on Broadway.

Tennessee0084-vi.jpg

Tennessee0087-vi.jpg

Looking down Poplar.

Tennessee0099-vi.jpg

First Baptist Church

Tennessee0132-vi.jpg

Some of the nice houses found along University intermingled with the commercial development that grown up over the years.

Tennessee0139-vi.jpg

Tennessee0141-vi.jpg

This one is currently being rehabbed. (Not when this picture was taken though)

Tennessee0143-vi.jpg

The commerical aspects I mentioned of University near the campus.

Tennessee0144-vi.jpg

!

UT-Martin

Tennessee0147-vi.jpg

Tennessee0154-vi.jpg

Tennessee0155-vi.jpg

Tennessee0157-vi.jpg

Tennessee0190-vi.jpg

I'll close out with some more random residential shots.

Tennessee0001-vi.jpg

Yes, Martin has sidewalks! LOL The city even maintains the current sidewalks and is adding more from time to time. Actually I took this pic because I thought the leaves looked neat covering up the sidewalk.

Tennessee0005-vi.jpg

Tennessee0006-vi.jpg

Tennessee0013-vi.jpg

Tennessee0010-vi.jpg

Well this is probably a good little overview of pics for a taste of this West Tennesse town. I have a lot more residential and stuctural pics to share, and I am dedicating a whole thread to the UT-Martin campus.

I hope this is interesting to some folks. Feedback as always is appreciated

The old house on North McCombs is awesome!

It's amazing how different west Tennessee cities look compared to what I am used to over here in east Tennessee.

The very nice two story red building on the end of the street under construction is now the Opera House restuarant. It offers higher end dining, something Martin has needed, although I have yet to dine there.

Tennessee0061-vi.jpg

Ooooh, I love this pic. I love these kinds of buildings ! It almost looks like some of the turn-of-the-century mining town main streets you see out west. :lol: Very nice. :thumbsup:

really cool pics of martin, i had no idea it was this big. thanks for sharing.

Thanks, RK. Even though it been nearly 35 years since I packed my bags and moved into the dorm at UTM, the place still has that small-looking feel to it. I've only been back in Martin twice, so this was very nice to see. Thanks.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. :D

@FDJ- Martin has a very interesting downtown look. It has Lindell the main downtown commercial street you commented on with its two story buidlings fronting both sides. East of it are the main rail-lines that seperate that section of downtown from Broadway and the really old commercial strip. The old commercial buildings that line Broadway are only on the east side and face the tracks, reminiscent of old western railtowns you see in the movies.

@IJD - Martin definately still has the small town feel going for it. It has also done a good job of not encouraging a lot of commerical sprawl, maintaining a great sidewalk system in the older parts of towns and from the University to the shopping centers, and overall keeping the town in good shape with little of the urban decay that most small towns face. Its downtown strip along Lindell still is struggling, but its doing better than most, and given time should improve.

I went to Governor's School in Martin last summer and loved it...Granted, there's not a lot to do in Martin, but it's a great place! Reelfoot Lake is close, which was nice.