Ann Arbor Off-Topic

wolverine

This is a place where you can talk about anything related to the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area. It can be a place to discuss community going-ons, athletics, culture, rants (well crafted ones), or questions. I especially welcome you all to asking questions about Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. Also, if you are planning a trip, definitely post here, and some of us can help you out with the great places to visit to make your experience enjoyable. Feel free to also ask questions or discuss topics related to the University of Michigan or Eastern Michigan University here as well as other educational institutions.

Please do not use this though as a spam forum. What I mean by that is if you just join urbanplanet merely to post advertisements here, your posts will be deleted.

Also, I want this to be an enjoyable thread, no political debates or arguing. If you are posting a rant, have it be well crafted. The following is a great example:

As I type this, I'm am sitting in my room trying to endure the loud obnoxious sounds of the powerplant about 250 feet from my window. My friend just came in with a decibel counter and it says that the smokestacks are producing a noise level of just over 100 dB. That's equivalent to being near a subway train or operating a power mower. (and that's just heard from my window!) This really ticks me off, and needs to stop! I'm in a college dorm room that shouldn't have this sort of noise level.

Yes, I'm enduring the above right now, and it provides a great example of what I kind of want to keep "rant" style posts at.

I hope I laid down the basic rules. I'm really not a strict kind of guy, I just want to maintain some peace and order.

So enjoy!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, this thread doesn't seem to be too popular. Anyway, if anyone wants free fridges, tv's, filing cabnets, carpets, lamps, storage bins and units, office chairs, tables, or desks, it's piling up streetside pretty quick around the dorms. By tomorrow it will all be gone. If you are going to be a college student next year anywhere, this is your chance to furnish your dorm room or apartment free. Some stuff has never even been used. Some fridges are only a year old. Take advantage of it now!

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to use flickr instead of photobucket. I am going to label all the pictures on there. But I was hoping you'd be able to help me out, Ian. Could you tell me the names of the following buildings from when we were taking pictures the one day?

4_19_06_7.jpg

4_19_06_8.jpg

4_19_06_13.jpg

And what street is this?

4_19_06_2.jpg

Edited by ZachariahDaMan

• 1 month later...

Is Ann Arbor effectively built out? Would that explain it's stagnant population growth? I know that as Michigan cities go, It's got a tiny land area. The area surrounding of Ann Arbor is some of the fastest growing in Michigan. I would think with as liberal as it is known to be, that they would have alot more high density residential. But I think Wolverine noted that the city is starting to come around to they way of thinking that if they want to grow residents they are going to have to grow up^

Who knows, what do you guys think?

It's really hard to say. I don't know when was the most recent annexation of areas around the city to cause a population growth. If the city doesn't annex more township space, then the only way the population can rise is thorugh increasing the density of our built environment, which is difficult because Ann Arbor is indeed completely built out. There's very little room for growth. Additionally, it wouldn't be surpising if the population were to shrink. That doesn't mean properties are becoming abandoned, rather more are becoming rental units for students and non-permanent residents. Just take a look at all the neighborhoods surrounding the downtown, most of it is all rental properties except for the west hills neighborhood or the 4th ward. As for AA sprawl, communities surrounding Saline, and especially Ypsilanti are growing like crazy. It's really hard to tell when you are exiting the AA-Ypsi area and entering Canton since the sprawl just sort of runs together. I don't expect anything serious to happen. Ann Arbor has a slightly different economy and living patterns that make it less susceptable to the negative consequences of sprawl.

Yeah, and like some Michigan cities, shrinking household sizes have a lot to do with it, as well. Michigan is aging, and the brain drain is really taking its toll even in the college towns in the state, though to a lesser degree, leaving older folks behind living one and two to a house with the families that are forming forming in the suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few Ann Arbornites that check the site regularly, but don't post. They should though.

BTW, I'll post more photo threads when I get back from vacation and stuff. I need to renew my flickr account which I completely forgot to do. I think a few photo links might be blank here until I register for another year and they appear again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL. All of these projects going on and sadly no one to photograph them right now. I would go take pictures myself, but I've been very busy with my job up here in the Sagnasty.

Just wondering, has anyone seen the master plan for the Lower Ann Arbor redevelopment? There's the new commercial district and hotel shown (which has it's own website), but there's also a few 10-15 story buildings shown that I believe are part of the medical campus expansion. I don't remember the website where I found them, and was wondering if anyone else had seen these images.

http://www.strathmoredev.com/Property_for_.../LowerTown.html

That website has a ton of info about it. Sometime soon I will probably be going out to Ann Arbor to take pictures of some of the development. If there is anything you guys want to see inparticular then let me know.

Well, there won't be much to see. As of June 15th, no work had started on the site, apart from the removal of the old dry cleaners/laundromat. It's all just boarded-up. But maybe the status has changed in the last month and a half.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been in AA 2 days so far...been to 8 parties, and 6 of them have been broken up by the cops. Has any other students noticed a major crackdown lately?

Yeah Wolverine, I've noticed that too, every party i went to welcome week was broken up as well. What is going on, are they trying to get more strict this year?

Is the campus abuzz with the resurgance of the football team? I, being a WMU grad, did not ever get to enjoy having sports success while on campus.

But, I do enjoy Michigan football, except when they play Notre Dame, and I think their success brings a lot of national attention to the university itself and the state.

The campus is always abuzz with our football team. Good or bad season, we always cheer for the Maize and Blue!

Jazper, we recently got a fine for our front yard being trashed. This was the result of a drunk person kicking our garbage cans over. Everyone in our house had exams the next day (Friday) and we didnt have time to clean it up in the morning. Since we dont put the trash out at the curb we arent paying. But the rental company wont pay it either! So none of us our going to pay! LOL. Take that AA! But yeah, things are a bit more strict than usual

• 3 weeks later...